#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #29
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Porsche is an amazing technology company, I worked for them for six years. On the corporate level. The stuff that they are creating in their R&D center at weissach, it is wide and varied, most people don't know that Porsche derives significant, like 50%, of their revenue for working for other people. They are about to bust the electric car,business wide open, with the Porsche Taycan, which Will run 350 miles, a 0 to 60 in 4vseconds and every four minutes on the charger will get your 60 miles range, 80% in 15 min. Porsche stated that in order for electric car to be viable in volume, the charge cannot take much longer than what it takes to fill the car with gas… And the taycan has a target price of 80 grand. I doubt that's attainable…

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/mi...rnational.aspx

That's the big hurdle electric cars face.
They need a range of about 400 miles and a recharge in 5 minutes.
Four minutes for 60 miles and 80% in 15 minutes is better than previous attempts, but a far cry from what is expected from a personal vehicle.
Recharging stations are the other hurdle.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #30
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Running at road America in a PCA event Friday.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #31
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Four minutes for 60 miles and 80% in 15 minutes is better than previous attempts, but a far cry from what is expected from a personal vehicle.
I disagree, 80% in 15 minutes is more than acceptable to me, that means you run into Starbucks for a cuppa coffee and drink it down, and your 80% charged…

Last edited by Glen e; 08-14-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #32
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Probably in the minority here, but I'd take an electric Cayman over the new 4 pot 718 Cayman. Test drove a manual 718 because I wanted to compare it to my Focus RS' engine and it didn't feel special at all. It just sounded and felt like any other turbo 4.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #33
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Agree. On weekends gas stations are a zoo already where i live. I can just imagine the line ups and short fuses if somebody walked away from a charging vehicle.
Road rage will be nothing in comparison to charging stations rage. 15mins is 4 cars per HOUR. Welcome to going backwards with progress. Another part yet to be discovered is cost. Electricity is neither plenty nor cheap.
And the latter may become the biggest issue if EVs become main stream one day. In Germany, where gov is anti combustion engines it is estimated that 16 new nuclear power stations will be required to power their cars. Cost of each is into billions. Guess who will pay for it
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #34
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Agree. On weekends gas stations are a zoo already where i live. I can just imagine the line ups and short fuses if somebody walked away from a charging vehicle.
Road rage will be nothing in comparison to charging stations rage. 15mins is 4 cars per HOUR. Welcome to going backwards with progress. Another part yet to be discovered is cost. Electricity is neither plenty nor cheap.
And the latter may become the biggest issue if EVs become main stream one day. In Germany, where gov is anti combustion engines it is estimated that 16 new nuclear power stations will be required to power their cars. Cost of each is into billions. Guess who will pay for it
That is the thing that people never seem to grasp. There is no perfect energy source.

Everything that requires work (energy) will cost money & endanger the planet in one form or another. All we are doing is shifting the problem to a different sector.

This is why tree huggers and enviromentalists drive me crazy. What are all these batteries going to do to the planet in 30 - 50 years. Electric energy costs are just as, if not more expensive then fossil fuels.

In 50 years from now there will be a new generation of enviromentalists boycotting electric vehicles.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #35
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
That is the thing that people never seem to grasp. There is no perfect energy source.

Everything that requires work (energy) will cost money & endanger the planet in one form or another. All we are doing is shifting the problem to a different sector.

This is why tree huggers and enviromentalists drive me crazy. What are all these batteries going to do to the planet in 30 - 50 years. Electric energy costs are just as, if not more expensive then fossil fuels.

In 50 years from now there will be a new generation of enviromentalists boycotting electric vehicles.
if this man ran for president, i would vote for him...

Past:
2008 C6 - heads/cam/boltons
2005 GTO - cam/boltons
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #36
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
if this man ran for president, i would vote for him...
Ditto!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #37
TrackClub

Not to hijack this thread any further but heres a handy chart right from EPA website. It is interesting that govs, politicians, activists and public opionion seem to focus on proverbial dog's tail: transportation. Thats not just cars, but also trains, planes, ships, etc. While somewhat conveniently ignoring the other 86% of the issue.

Ok: now back to Porsches
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #38
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you think all of the management of all the car manufacturers are doing this electric thing because they really want to see cleaner air, think again.Frankly they don't care, they get rid of the EPA, at least on testing, regulations and certification AND THATS HUGE SAVINGS..... It's business. Electric cars carry less parts, requires less service overall for the life of the car, and is much easier fix because its remove and replace. There are very few moving parts to a electric car, and engine plants will be a thing of the past which are the most expensive cost in the car. It's all business, and the fact they can get up Pike's Peak about eight seconds faster than any internal combustion Engine means racing will continue. A Tesla model 3 just pulled dead even in a quarter mile with a McLaren 570 S....that's fast

https://www.motorsport.com/hillclimb...128844/?nrt=79

Last edited by Glen e; 08-14-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #39
Boost Creep

I caught some electric formula car racing on TV....so lame.
It's like a 45 lap city circuit race where they pit and switch cars at about 22-23 laps. Batteries are done, so swapping to a second car is the only way to continue.
It was like watching the motorsport version of golf.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #40
Boost Creep

E-cars may be the future, but they need some work before they are truly viable.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #41
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If you think all of the management of all the car manufacturers are doing this electric thing because they really want to see cleaner air, think again.Frankly they don't care. It's business. Electric cars carry less parts, requires less service overall for the life of the car, and is much easier fix because its remove and replace. There are very few moving parts to a electric car, and engine plants will be a thing of the past which are the most expensive cost in the car. It's all business, and the fact they can get up Pike's Peak about eight seconds faster than any internal combustion Engine means racing will continue. A Tesla model 3 just pulled dead even in a quarter mile with a McLaren 570 S....that's fast

https://www.motorsport.com/hillclimb...128844/?nrt=79
Of course it is all biz. And somebody would have to pay me big bucks to sit on top of a power plant that std fire fighting means cant cope with in case of an accident. No matter how fast such cars might be. Not yet, anyway.
And sure as heck i wouldnt park one in a garage of a house made of wood and related particles.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
I caught some electric formula car racing on TV....so lame.
It's like a 45 lap city circuit race where they pit and switch cars at about 22-23 laps. Batteries are done, so swapping to a second car is the only way to continue.
It was like watching the motorsport version of golf.
I watched it once and had enough. Almost fell off my chair when they swapped cars. Kinda like swapping horses This is as fake as it gets. If it were real they would plug them in and drivers would all go to Starbucks for a cup of java and maybe a massage lol! Now that would be real Formula E!