Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
Floor Jack Failure Question

I've got two Harbor Freight Floor Jacks... one of the small aluminum racing jacks, and another "low profile" higher lift unit.

Both jacks worked great for a year or two, and now, the heavier duty of the two gave out on me. It didn't drop my car on me or anything like that, but it quit lifting. I got the back of the car up enough to get the wheels off (barely) and then I could keep pumping (and pumping) without any more lift.

Is this more likely to be a blown seal, which I'm assuming is basically a "throw it away and get another one" repair, considering it's a cheap Pittsburgh jack from Harbor Freight junk.

Or could this be air in the hydraulic fluid that simply needs bled?
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCam View Post
I've got two Harbor Freight Floor Jacks... one of the small aluminum racing jacks, and another "low profile" higher lift unit.

Both jacks worked great for a year or two, and now, the heavier duty of the two gave out on me. It didn't drop my car on me or anything like that, but it quit lifting. I got the back of the car up enough to get the wheels off (barely) and then I could keep pumping (and pumping) without any more lift.

Is this more likely to be a blown seal, which I'm assuming is basically a "throw it away and get another one" repair, considering it's a cheap Pittsburgh jack from Harbor Freight junk.

Or could this be air in the hydraulic fluid that simply needs bled?
With a blown seal I think you would see a leak. Might try new fluid or make sure the bleed screw is tight. Used my low profile one for 8 years now with no issues. Also, did you change something where it reached it's max height?

Last edited by gotroost; 08-17-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: more info
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Check the plunger or plungers may be stuck down.Mine looks like a valve spring set up has to be oiled up occasionally
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
Hmm, no luck. No fluid has leaked out where I can see it. The springs look like they are moving freely. And nope, I have tried to change anything related to max height. When it quit going up, I wasn't anywhere near max height.

I realized I don't usually lift quite as much weight as that last time. I usually put one jack on each side of the car and lift each side a few pumps at a time.

I think it may be bleeding time.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote