Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #1
JasonNY

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE M6
Axle-back or Cat-back?

Looking at picking up an AWE exhaust. In the future, heads, cam and in turn headers are on the table. I do plan on running cats in the future as I am in New York. With that, which is the better route? Go cat-back or axle-back with the AWE? It appears that if I get a long system, it may bolt right up to the axle-back without any needed fabrication. If I just got headers and cats I believe I will need some fabrication done to mate up to the cat-back system. I imagine there aren't many differences between the mid-pipes with AWE and whatever header manufacturer, though AWE could have the resonators.

Thoughts?
JasonNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:20 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
With your plans that's the only way to find use of a cat back on these cars, supports the rest of your mods, but I don't how it ends up if it stays a bolt-on with headers or how much fabrication you're looking at.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #3
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Sounds like you're trying to figure out what I am at the moment. What headers do you think you'll go with? I was thinking ARH long system (with cats) into a AWE Track Edition Axle-back Exhaust but IDK if they will connect up. ARH charges roughly $1250 more just to add the axleback onto the long system. Figured if the AWE would fit, that's roughly $750 savings.
I am still new to LT stuff so I'm still looking to see what other options there are.
Problem is not knowing how well these different manufacturers products will line up with each other.

I do know I NEED a full exhaust on this car because it's so quiet its killing me.

My other question is what's up with the codes after installing headers + aftermarket cats? I saw it mentioned a few times that if you're installing headers, you need to do the tuning right away or the car will store permanent codes that you cant get rid of? Do you know anything about that?

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #4
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
Sounds like you're trying to figure out what I am at the moment. What headers do you think you'll go with? I was thinking ARH long system (with cats) into a AWE Track Edition Axle-back Exhaust but IDK if they will connect up. ARH charges roughly $1250 more just to add the axleback onto the long system. Figured if the AWE would fit, that's roughly $750 savings.
I am still new to LT stuff so I'm still looking to see what other options there are.
Problem is not knowing how well these different manufacturers products will line up with each other.

I do know I NEED a full exhaust on this car because it's so quiet its killing me.

My other question is what's up with the codes after installing headers + aftermarket cats? I saw it mentioned a few times that if you're installing headers, you need to do the tuning right away or the car will store permanent codes that you cant get rid of? Do you know anything about that?
I should have taken you out for a ride Joe and listen to the borla axle back. plenty of great sound out of that system. Personally, I would not like it any louder as it is my daily driver. Stop by and I will take you for a ride.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:58 PM   #5
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I should have taken you out for a ride Joe and listen to the borla axle back. plenty of great sound out of that system. Personally, I would not like it any louder as it is my daily driver. Stop by and I will take you for a ride.
I love Borla. I had the non-adjustable on my 01 car with American Racing headers, gutted catted Y pipe. It was loud. Shaved all the sound deadening off the carpet. No rear seats. Windows down all the time because the A/C was deleted. It was loud as hell. This time around I'm keeping A/C, windows will be up and I'm keeping all the wonderful sound insulation in the car, minus maybe the back seats Like I said I love the Borla but it's expensive, so looking at cheaper options at the moment. I'm guessing you have all the cats since you have the axleback?

2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'

FJB
Old 08-16-2023, 06:47 AM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
note that some/most guys that run headers use the stock suitcase NPP because it's obnoxiously loud otherwise.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:22 AM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
note that some/most guys that run headers use the stock suitcase NPP because it's obnoxiously loud otherwise.
...it's super loud (at WOT) even with the stock muffler (psst)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:38 AM   #8
JasonNY

Quote:

Yep, sounds like the same dilemma. ARH is on the list as I've never heard a negative thing and as you said, it looks like their long system ends right where the axle back begins. I've seen the same with the codes. I'm too old to roll around on my back and try to install headers like I did on my 4th gen, I will most likely have a shop do it and tune at the same time.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:26 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
I love Borla. I had the non-adjustable on my 01 car with American Racing headers, gutted catted Y pipe. It was loud. Shaved all the sound deadening off the carpet. No rear seats. Windows down all the time because the A/C was deleted. It was loud as hell. This time around I'm keeping A/C, windows will be up and I'm keeping all the wonderful sound insulation in the car, minus maybe the back seats Like I said I love the Borla but it's expensive, so looking at cheaper options at the moment. I'm guessing you have all the cats since you have the axleback?
All the cats in place. I did have a bolt on xpipe that eliminated the secondary cats which you cannot buy anymore, and that with the Borla S axle back was a little to loud for me. I put the original x pipe back in place and sold the other.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:48 AM   #10
lt4camaro

Quote:
I will look you up when I put the OE suitcase muffler back on, can sell you the Borlas for a fraction of what they are new.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:48 AM   #11
JasonNY

Just exchanged some PMs with a vendor here that was very helpful. Guidance was to purchase the axle-back system now, and when doing headers, the ARH long system should bolt right up. Hopefully this is helpful to those that are just as lost as I was here.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:23 PM   #12
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonNY View Post
Yep, sounds like the same dilemma. ARH is on the list as I've never heard a negative thing and as you said, it looks like their long system ends right where the axle back begins. I've seen the same with the codes. I'm too old to roll around on my back and try to install headers like I did on my 4th gen, I will most likely have a shop do it and tune at the same time.
Yeah I hear ya. I dont wanna pay someone to install headers though. Might not have a choice considering the perma code issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
All the cats in place. I did have a bolt on xpipe that eliminated the secondary cats which you cannot buy anymore, and that with the Borla S axle back was a little to loud for me. I put the original x pipe back in place and sold the other.

I wasnt planning on Borla due to price and save a little weight going to the AWE track edition but if I was going Borla I'd want the Attack. Guess I'd have to weigh out the options more. Are you de-modding your car Don? Or the Borla S is too loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonNY View Post
Just exchanged some PMs with a vendor here that was very helpful. Guidance was to purchase the axle-back system now, and when doing headers, the ARH long system should bolt right up. Hopefully this is helpful to those that are just as lost as I was here.
It is helpful and more confirmation that I needed. Thanks for posting that

FJB
Old 08-16-2023, 07:50 PM   #13
lt4camaro

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. I dont wanna pay someone to install headers though. Might not have a choice considering the perma code issue.

I wasnt planning on Borla due to price and save a little weight going to the AWE track edition but if I was going Borla I'd want the Attack. Guess I'd have to weigh out the options more. Are you de-modding your car Don? Or the Borla S is too loud?

It is helpful and more confirmation that I needed. Thanks for posting that
No, the Borla s is definitely loud enough for me, if and when I change cars, I will reinstall my original suitcase muffler.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:49 PM   #14
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
If you want to completely replace your exhaust (headers, mid pipes, mufflers with tips) and want to have a complete bolt on experience then you would want to select a complete exhaust kit like the ones American Racing Headers makes that includes all the piping from headers to the exhaust tips. If you combine two or more different exhaust Manufacturers (i.e. kooks headers with borla cat-back) then you will most likely need to modify both systems, and weld them together. A tune is required when installing headers. Automatic 6th gen SS Camaros would need a tune for installing Cat-Back exhausts that deletes the AFM valves located in the mid-pipes. You can install AFM delete plates which would prevent the CEL so you don't have to get a tune for Cat-backs, but once you install headers a tune is required.

-Trae