Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #29
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
It takes time, and I hate doing door panels because I'm always afraid I'll tear them up. But it was quite doable. The first one took a fair amount of time. The second one a lot less so. At the top, I lifted up because that was quite a bit easier. Just make sure you have the door panel pulled away from the door a fair amount, because you don't want to break any pins (there's also one permanent pin on the panel you don't want to break). When you do that, the rubber weatherstrip will come out with it.

Once you have it all off, you'll probably find that some of the plastic pins are still in the door instead of the panel. Pull each one out and insert it back in the panel. To reinstall the panel, you'll want to remove the weatherstrip and the six metal clips from the top of the door panel (it's easier now that the panel is off the car). Then install the six metal clips onto the metal door, then put the weatherstrip in the clips. Now's a good time to reinstall the three black push pins into the weatherstrip (because the door panel covers one of them). Finally, you can push the door panel onto the metal clips along with pushing in all the round pins.

When you get the panel off the door, there are one or two electrical connections plus the latch cable to undo. These are not hard, but you have to see what to do. Both electrical connectors have a red or orange tab to pull out first, which unlocks them. Then each has a small tab under the locking tab that you need to depress as you pull the connector apart. As long as you push that second tab down, it's easy to get them apart. The latch cable has a white plastic holder that is clipped to the door panel. Depress the tab on it and the white plastic holder and slide the holder back and off the part it clips to. Then swing the cable 90deg (maybe a little more?), so that the cable is pointing broadside into the door panel. The silver lug at the end of the cable can be removed from its metal lever on the door panel and lifted up, with the cable coming out of a slot in that lever.

Some of the push pins are yellow, some are light gray. It would probably be a good idea to buy a couple of each before you dive into this job, just in case a you break any. I didn't, but doing this on a Saturday I realized that if I did I would not be able to get any replacements until Monday. Also, get a cheap set of trim removal tools. And for the three 7mm screws, you'll need a socket on an extension.
Thanks. It does look a bit intimidating, but doable. I'll just plan to go really slowly and not break any clips. Do you know where to get those clips? Like you said, might be a good idea to have a few on hand just in case. How difficult are the A Pilar covers? Those seem easier except for the airbag bungee cords that I know NOT to cut like one guy did on a video I watched. Do the A Pilar covers even need to come all the way off? I know all I need is to get to the one bolt that holds the cover over the speaker.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #30
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Thanks. It does look a bit intimidating, but doable. I'll just plan to go really slowly and not break any clips. Do you know where to get those clips? Like you said, might be a good idea to have a few on hand just in case. How difficult are the A Pilar covers? Those seem easier except for the airbag bungee cords that I know NOT to cut like one guy did on a video I watched. Do the A Pilar covers even need to come all the way off? I know all I need is to get to the one bolt that holds the cover over the speaker.
I'm sure the dealership has those plastic push pin things. If you have more time, maybe some of the discounted GM online supply places have them. To avoid breaking them, locate each one and put the fork of the trim tool around it before levering it out. FWIW, I wasn't very good at than and the telltale sign is that a lot of my pins were left in the door. But they still didn't break.

The A-pillar covers are just removed for the dash speaker replacement, of course. They only have two attachments, but they are in there pretty tight. I fretted over those more than the door panels. I mostly just pulled them off because I didn't see a good way to use the trim tools at the attachments. But because of that, when they came off, they came out too far and messed up the mics in there. One was reusable, but I had to replace the other. Luckily they are very cheap. You saw my picture of the clip that holds the bungee cord to the trim piece, right? Just wedge that open and remove it. You probably don't absolutely have to take it all the way out, but it would be a lot more of PITA if you don't.

There's one bolt for the speaker cover on the drivers side, and that's a small cover that pops right off. The passenger is only one bolt too (IIRC), but the cover goes across almost the entire rest of the dash (it covers the center speaker for the Bose system). It takes a little more finagling, but isn't really tough to remove. One of the dash speakers is easy enough to unbolt with just a 1/4" ratchet and 7mm socket. The other (I think it was the driver's side) requires an open or box-end 7mm wrench to get the bolt by the windshield. No big deal: just go 1/4-1/3 turn at a time, and have patience, and you'll get it out in a minute or two.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #31
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
They slide out, YES its a bitch!!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #32
caSStro18

Okay, so the dash speakers will probably go in a at later date anyway. I don't have the BOSE system, so I don't have that center speak. However, since that panel has to come off anyway to replace the passenger side dash speaker, would it be possible/beneficial to put one there while I have the dash apart?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #33
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
They slide out, YES its a bitch!!
Haha! Maybe I'll wait on those dash speakers for now!
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #34
Msquared

Quote:
Okay, so the dash speakers will probably go in a at later date anyway. I don't have the BOSE system, so I don't have that center speak. However, since that panel has to come off anyway to replace the passenger side dash speaker, would it be possible/beneficial to put one there while I have the dash apart?
From what I can glean from people that know far more than I do, no it's not beneficial. For example, Andy Wehmeyer, the owner/boss/engineer at Audiofrog says not to do use one. A well set up stereo system images just fine, and a center speaker has a bad habit of pulling everything to the center, which is not good imaging. Besides which, good luck finding a good (or matching) 2.5 "twiddler" speaker that doesn't have to be purchased as a pair. I can tell you I have no need for one in my car.

On the A-pillar trim, I think it would be beneficial to have two people. First, you can use one to pull the trim off while the other blocks it from coming off more than an inch or two (to save the mics). Second, to unclip the bungee one person can hold the trim and pry open the clip while the other pulls it off. That would probably make that stuff go a lot faster. But anyway, you can wait on these. You could even do one corner at a time.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #35
caSStro18

So, I haven't pulled the trigger on new speakers yet. It seems every time I'm ready to but something pops up that needs the money first. Priorities. So, anyway, I got to thinking more about this and I was wondering something. Would bypassing the factory amp in my non-BOSE 1SS and replacing it with a better amp make the stock speakers sound better? Or, is the speakers that need to be replaced?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #36
Msquared

Quote:
So, I haven't pulled the trigger on new speakers yet. It seems every time I'm ready to but something pops up that needs the money first. Priorities. So, anyway, I got to thinking more about this and I was wondering something. Would bypassing the factory amp in my non-BOSE 1SS and replacing it with a better amp make the stock speakers sound better? Or, is the speakers that need to be replaced?
Both will improve the sound, I'm sure. I can't share any results from just replacing the amp, because I don't have a factory amp in the trunk to replace and I haven't replaced it. However, knowing the results I've gotten just from replacing the four front speakers with no separate amp at all, and knowing that you main goal when this thread started was to increase you system's bass extension...if I were you I would focus on the speakers first.