Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I wouldn't go this route without a fair amount of additional research. HD Radio isn't an option in the 2020 models and they claim that this head unit has it. Also, they cite navigation integration with the gauge cluster but make no mention of it on the HUD.

In other words, while it may work in the car, the car may not work correctly "around it."

EDIT: I just found out that the navigation component can only be added if the car originally came with the 8" non-NAVI unit, and the cost of the upgrade kit from GM is $425 as all it is is a NAVI card and a software flash. The link provided above appears to be a company that's doing all of the work "out of the car" and relying on the owners to swap non-flashed units for flashed units. Maybe?

Either way... It's cheaper and warrantied if you get it from the dealership it seems.

You seem to be on to something with going the factory route.

I did reach out to them and the rep said it works exactly like the factory Navigation.

I guess it's a matter of who has it cheaper and better warranty. The swapping of the unit looks very easy, and takes about 5 minutes to do.

Guess had I known all this a few months ago, I would have ordered it from the factory when I placed my order. Too bad Chevy has been secretive about this topic.
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1LE View Post
You seem to be on to something with going the factory route.

I did reach out to them and the rep said it works exactly like the factory Navigation.

I guess it's a matter of who has it cheaper and better warranty. The swapping of the unit looks very easy, and takes about 5 minutes to do.

Guess had I known all this a few months ago, I would have ordered it from the factory when I placed my order. Too bad Chevy has been secretive about this topic.
The "best" option seems to be to add the feature on a new car order. That will give max integration of everything.

The GM upgrade option is more expensive that the add-on cost at time of order, but it can apparently be had from some online shops for less. I don't know if buying online comes with a voucher for having the software flashed, though. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09...9-2020-camaro/

The link above seems to be from a company that's doing all of the programming and what-not and swapping head units. Seems like a lot of work and risks breaking things with the swap of the units and shipping, and that also seems to be reflected in the cost as it's the highest cost option. And since it appears to be a GM head unit with GM software and a GM map card, it would BE factory navigation, not "just like it."
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The "best" option seems to be to add the feature on a new car order. That will give max integration of everything.

The GM upgrade option is more expensive that the add-on cost at time of order, but it can apparently be had from some online shops for less. I don't know if buying online comes with a voucher for having the software flashed, though. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09...9-2020-camaro/

The link above seems to be from a company that's doing all of the programming and what-not and swapping head units. Seems like a lot of work and risks breaking things with the swap of the units and shipping, and that also seems to be reflected in the cost as it's the highest cost option. And since it appears to be a GM head unit with GM software and a GM map card, it would BE factory navigation, not "just like it."
I have used infotainment.com before for my C7. It works correctly and they are all factory units as far as I can tell. Some of the smaller parts even come with OEM part packaging.

With a used car it makes sense to do the swap, but for a new car, I agree that ordering the car with it is going to be better unless you can get a decent discount on a new car that's already on the lot. It can be a lot of work, too. I cut up my hands quite a bit when I did the swap on the C7, and let's not get into the fact that I lost the car to a flood 2 days after I installed the unit...

While I normally agree that Google Maps is better, the HUD makes the factory navigation quite nice to have.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I have used infotainment.com before for my C7. It works correctly and they are all factory units as far as I can tell. Some of the smaller parts even come with OEM part packaging.

With a used car it makes sense to do the swap, but for a new car, I agree that ordering the car with it is going to be better unless you can get a decent discount on a new car that's already on the lot. It can be a lot of work, too. I cut up my hands quite a bit when I did the swap on the C7, and let's not get into the fact that I lost the car to a flood 2 days after I installed the unit...

While I normally agree that Google Maps is better, the HUD makes the factory navigation quite nice to have.
For me, it's more about how to do the swap than whether to do it. The infotainment.com option looks to be identical to the original GM option except that the original GM option requires nothing be removed from your car. In other words, all of the hardware is already present in the car and you need only add the Map Card and flash the software. Going the OEM route means taking the car to a dealership for them to do it. And it seems cheaper.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #19
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
I spoke to the Chevy dealer a few hours ago. They said if the "radio" is navigation ready, then all that is needed is a software update and activation from Chevy. They said I would need to contact Chevy directly for that. Then Chevy sends the software to my local dealer. There, the dealer will install it and activate it.

If the radio is not navigation ready, then you need to buy a new unit. I guess like infotainment.

So for me the real question is, how much is the software from GM and the fees to install.
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1LE View Post
I spoke to the Chevy dealer a few hours ago. They said if the "radio" is navigation ready, then all that is needed is a software update and activation from Chevy. They said I would need to contact Chevy directly for that. Then Chevy sends the software to my local dealer. There, the dealer will install it and activate it.

If the radio is not navigation ready, then you need to buy a new unit. I guess like infotainment.

So for me the real question is, how much is the software from GM and the fees to install.
I -think- this goes back to what we've been discussing. If you want Navigation, you have to have the 8" system in the car. THAT head unit gets the Map Card and a software update and you're done.

If you DON'T have the 8" radio, then I'm not sure what happens. Maybe you can go to infotainment.com and swap units?