Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Ahhh...maybe.

From what I understand there's a host of unique air dams and chutes up front to direct air flow one way or another on the ZL1.

The 1LE's front fascia is (as I understand it) identical to the SS...brake ducts, and all.
It's definitely possible, it's just a question of how difficult will it be.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
It's definitely possible, it's just a question of how difficult will it be.
Yes.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Post #6 shows the standard deflectors. This is my SS track deflectors and ducting:
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #18
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Sorry, upside down
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #19
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Questions for you guys, because it's not super clear to me.

The 1LE just has the SS brake ducts installed from the factory, is that correct? Or are they different? Anyone have part numbers (i looked couldn't find ones for 1LE)?

For a non-daily SS that never sees rain, is there any danger into leaving the ducts on full time like the 1LE?
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post

The 1LE just has the SS brake ducts installed from the factory, is that correct? Or are they different? Anyone have part numbers (i looked couldn't find ones for 1LE)?

For a non-daily SS that never sees rain, is there any danger into leaving the ducts on full time like the 1LE?
V8 1LE is based off of the SS, so yes - the brake ducts are installed from the factory, no difference.

No risk with rain. There's a heat exchanger in there that will let water through, as well. The cars were tested for quality and durability using the same foul-weather/ice/water tests as a Malibu or Silverado might see.

One thing to note - brakes tend to get a little slippery when driving on the highway in the rain for long periods of time. Since the brakes aren't used, they get a little damp...and the pads need a split second to push through that water.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #21
cleoent

Quote:
V8 1LE is based off of the SS, so yes - the brake ducts are installed from the factory, no difference.

No risk with rain. There's a heat exchanger in there that will let water through, as well. The cars were tested for quality and durability using the same foul-weather/ice/water tests as a Malibu or Silverado might see.

One thing to note - brakes tend to get a little slippery when driving on the highway in the rain for long periods of time. Since the brakes aren't used, they get a little damp...and the pads need a split second to push through that water.
So this begs the question as to why the ss doesn't have these installed from factory, and why the ss user manual recommends taking them off unless you're at the track.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #22
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:

Quote:

I changed my oil in the car last week and I can tell you that the SS 1LE doesn't share the brake cooling setup with the Camaro SS.

The SS has tire aero deflectors. The SS 1LE has no tire deflectors at all. Likely this is because the 1LE sits lower and they won't fit. Their only purpose is to improve aero when highway cruising.

The SS has large brake cooling deflector shields that mount to the contol arm to deflect air to the Rotor. This works in conjunction with a separate backing plate for the rotor that has a large opening to allow air flow to reach the rotor surface. The SS 1LE has the backing plate with the opening just like the SS track kit, but the control arm shield is trimmed down, but shaped in more of a scoop fashion.

So the main difference is that the SS track kit is designed to maximize the cooling on a car with a higher ride height. This same kit would likely be useless on the 1LE because the shields would likely drag a lot during street use.

So if I owned a lowered SS I would look into removing the tire deflectors and permanently installing the backing plates and trying to purchase the 1LE/ZL1 brake deflector sheilds. That way you can just track the car without having to swap out the deflectors all the time.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #23
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I manage to get my dealer to send me the SS Tall Deflector and Small Splash Shield. We both weren't sure if the 1LE was supposed to come with them. I got them for free. I now know that I don't need them, you can figure out what I will do with them.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
cleoent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I changed my oil in the car last week and I can tell you that the SS 1LE doesn't share the brake cooling setup with the Camaro SS.

The SS has tire aero deflectors. The SS 1LE has no tire deflectors at all. Likely this is because the 1LE sits lower and they won't fit. Their only purpose is to improve aero when highway cruising.

The SS has large brake cooling deflector shields that mount to the contol arm to deflect air to the Rotor. This works in conjunction with a separate backing plate for the rotor that has a large opening to allow air flow to reach the rotor surface. The SS 1LE has the backing plate with the opening just like the SS track kit, but the control arm shield is trimmed down, but shaped in more of a scoop fashion.

So the main difference is that the SS track kit is designed to maximize the cooling on a car with a higher ride height. This same kit would likely be useless on the 1LE because the shields would likely drag a lot during street use.

So if I owned a lowered SS I would look into removing the tire deflectors and permanently installing the backing plates and trying to purchase the 1LE/ZL1 brake deflector sheilds. That way you can just track the car without having to swap out the deflectors all the time.
Did you buy chance take a pic of your brake deflector? I own a lowered ss, would be interested to see difference. Either that or part numbers for 1le deflectors.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #25
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Did you buy chance take a pic of your brake deflector? I own a lowered ss, would be interested to see difference. Either that or part numbers for 1le deflectors.
I'm sorry I didn't. If I'm under there any time soon I will.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #26
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
There's a heat exchanger in there that will let water through, as well. The cars were tested for quality and durability using the same foul-weather/ice/water tests as a Malibu or Silverado might see.
The ducting for the brake cooling comes from the cover with the LED light, NOT from the ducting with the supplemental radiator.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
The ducting for the brake cooling comes from the cover with the LED light, NOT from the ducting with the supplemental radiator.
I know the aux. HX isn't meant for brake cooling, but it does blow air (and water if it's present) into the wheel well and partially onto the brakes. I just mentioned it to ease the mind of the person worried about water on his brakes.

The brake cooling duct is actually located in the inner lower grille, as shown in the image above.

The bit near the LED daytime running light is an "air curtain", and doesn't duct to the brakes at all.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #28
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
That's not true. The air coming under the LED driving light is directed to the fender lip to blow an air curtain over the turbulent spinning wheel. There are visible brake ducts in the main opening of the grille. You can see them in the picture below. They sit between the main radiator and the AUX radiators. Also notice the notches in the outside edge of the front wheel well liners. That is where the air curtain air exhausts from under the LED "Fog" lights.