Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
SS Models Becoming Obsolete?

I having been reading many forum comments and posts ever since the ZL1 has been released, and yes its an Awesome car. So i see alot of Camaro5r's trading in and up to the ZL1's. So my question is this, "Is the SS Becoming Obsolete" ? I ask because at one point the "SS" was the thing to have and everyone wanted to get one and do all the individual customizing to make it their own. But it seems that now that buzz has change to the ZL1? I love my SS, yes its not as fast as the ZL1 but with the mods you can make it as fast, so are we buying th ZL1 to have the "Latest and Greatest" or what? I know some of you are gonna say to each his own and i get that, but i was just curious what you guys thought.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I don't think the SS will go way....for the simple reason that not all that many people can afford a ZL1.....just like the Vette, there needs to be a performance model that isn't the TOP OF THE LINE

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 06-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
MikeC5
Nomad

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
My SS is plenty of car for me.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Move over, bacon.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Just look at the monthly sales figures posted on this board every month.. This is a mass produced car there are literally thousands being made at a clip.. Not everyone can afford a 64K car (total with some options and tax) 33-39 is a little more in the ballpark for the average Camaro person who is interested in the SS models
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Just because there is something faster out there doesn't make every other car that isn't as fast obsolete. Unless you taking to the track & actually utilizing the power, I don't really see what difference it makes. If you're just driving it in the city or to work everyday like 95% of people on this site, then it makes no difference whether it's obsolete or not.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafinest25 View Post
I having been reading many forum comments and posts ever since the ZL1 has been released, and yes its an Awesome car. So i see alot of Camaro5r's trading in and up to the ZL1's. So my question is this, "Is the SS Becoming Obsolete" ? I ask because at one point the "SS" was the thing to have and everyone wanted to get one and do all the individual customizing to make it their own. But it seems that now that buzz has change to the ZL1? I love my SS, yes its not as fast as the ZL1 but with the mods you can make it as fast, so are we buying th ZL1 to have the "Latest and Greatest" or what? I know some of you are gonna say to each his own and i get that, but i was just curious what you guys thought.
Sounds like instead of v6 vs v8 threads we'll start having SS vs ZL1 threads...

Be happy with what you have. Period. The 5th gens are the best looking cars on the road today, only seconded by older generation Camaros of course...

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
If I was going to spend $60K on a car, it would be going towards a Corvette. Hard for me to justify spending that kind of cash on a 4,000 pound car. I like my SS for what it cost. I still have fun with it.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
fishface

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro Convertible
ZL1 is a great ride but I love my SS period.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I'm completely satisfied with my RS....planning on putting lighting/cosmetic mods into it for some shows eventually...call me a Camaro sinner, but I just have no desire to be the fastest guy on the block!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
When the Gen 1 camaros came out I beleive they offered a 350 SBC and a 396 BBC engine. Then they offered the ZL1 as well which was a higher performance big block.

When the Gen 5 came out, they offerred a V-6 model and the V-8 SS, does that mean that the V-8 made the V-6 obsolete???

I believe the ZL1 option came out because SO MANY of use were building up our SS cars with superchargers and turbos so GM decided they could sell the supercharged ZL1 and that was a good choice.

That said, the old ZL1 camaro was a very limited number of cars. I do not believe there is a limit on the current ZL1 so in time, the new ZL1 will not hold the STATUS that the old ones did because there will be so many of them and they are not as hard to get. In my opinion, just another model of a great car for those that want a supercharged camaro but do not want to put their own personal touch on their cars. As potent as the ZL1 is, its still pretty mild for alot of us in performance!! I will keep my SS/RS and be very happy without a ZL1 in the garage!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
I'm perfectly happy with my SS.

The ZL1 is nice, but is it really worth the $55K just for a supercharger, magnetic ride, some cosmetic changes? To each his own.

Would I give up my SS for one? No.

I'd just go buy one and have both.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Love my SS, not trading. No need for the " Latest and Greatest".
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
I haven't been seeing a lot of C5'ers trading in. Maybe 500-- since less than 2000 have been made-- and there are hundreds of thousands of members here.

So no, the SS will never be obsolete.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Closed Thread