Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssboy2010 View Post
Typical lsx motor and headers. Nothing you can do to get rid of it
Only thing rattling on mine were the tension springs. Other than that clearance was NOT an issue.

Pulling o2 slack from the stock wiring harness was a nailbiter though.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #30
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
I have a rattling noise too. I took a peek and noticed that where the x-pipe is, there's a thin brace that is vibrating because the exhaust is sitting against it. I'm gonna lift up the x-pipe, and tighten the clamps to see if it helps at all. This brace may be there because I have a convertible, but if i were you, I'd check anyway.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusKrans View Post
I see that you have a L99, make sure your exhaust isn't hitting the transmission vent tube. Its a small metal tube on the passenger side that runs right next to the exhaust. I had a metallic rattling sound coming from under my passenger seat after I put my magnaflow 3" catback on and it turned out to be vibrating against that vent tube.
I had exact same problem. The metal tube is connected directly to a rubber one above the cross member. It has no check valve in it so i just removed the small metal portion of tube. Problem solved. By the way have the Magnaflow 3" comp myself lol

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, you are sure it's not the exhaust hitting the tunnel brace? Common problem after LTs. Usually you can pull the exhaust up, add some washers to lower the brace, or get an aftermarket brace with more clearance.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
vrunner

Drives: 2012 T3 Edition 2SS Hurst 6M
I had the same issue. You have to get the car on a lift or get under it. Open your hood and grab a flashlight since you car is black it may be difficult to see. On the passenger side look up and follow your header to where it runs past the frame. You will see a few mounting screws sticking out from the frame. Not sure what they are holding since I can't see the other side but they are there. Check to make sure they are at least 3/4 of an inch away from the header. If they are any closer the header will make contact and create some ugly noises when the engine is under load. You will also see the tell tale marks on the header from where it made contact. If it is you will need a dremmel or a small cutting wheel to shorten the screw. I have looked at other Camaro's and they seem to vary in size however 11's and 12's are more common to have it longer thus causing the issue. If you find the screws are good try removing the tunnel brace to see if it goes away, they can be an issue too. Hope this solves your issue!!

vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
clearance?
I am pretty sure that he wants you to check the clearances because it sounds like something is touching the exhaust and causing a nasty vibration sound.

... that's the first thing I thought too.

... So you might want to check the clearances. Get it up on a lift and crank it up.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
Chris82xx

I looked more into it myself for my car and for me it's def. that retarded metal brace that runs from one side to the other. It's a thin piece of metal so I'm not too sure if it serves any structural purpose or if it's more of a shield of some sort. the width of it is about 12" and I'd say it's about 1/32" thick.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #36
bottjeremy

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE - Born July 2020
There is a thread about this on this forum. Search for noise under driver seat.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #37
Chris82xx

I looked more into it myself for my car and for me it's def. that retarded metal brace that runs from one side to the other. It's a thin piece of metal so I'm not too sure if it serves any structural purpose or if it's more of a shield of some sort. the width of it is about 12" and I'd say it's about 1/32" thick.

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
cantkeeptires

Drives: 11 2SS
Hi, guys I had a set of BBK headers installed yesterday and had the same issue. Put it on a lift and the brace was the culprit. I just loosened the cats and jacked up the catbacks before I retightened. It gave about an inch more clearance at the metal brace that runs across. Noise is gone.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #39
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantkeeptires View Post
Hi, guys I had a set of BBK headers installed yesterday and had the same issue. Put it on a lift and the brace was the culprit. I just loosened the cats and jacked up the catbacks before I retightened. It gave about an inch more clearance at the metal brace that runs across. Noise is gone.
thats nice to know thanks! could you take a picture of the part youre talking about maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottjeremy View Post
There is a thread about this on this forum. Search for noise under driver seat.
thanks!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
hmmmmmmmm

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Heat Shield touching ever so slightly or it's hitting the tunnel brace.

96% of folks hardly see it, but there are studs that come down out of the underbody that the heat shield attaches to with little nuts. These long rods often touch or rub on aftermarket exhaust/headers.

I see it all the time. Cutoff wheel solves that problem easily.

GL and keep us posted!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote