Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Drives: 2021 ZLE
Voided warrantee

Has anyone here personally experienced being harassed at a dealer for having an intake when making a warrantee power train claim?
Yes... Yes I know the law; which is why I'm asking for personal experience.

Separate question:
Has anyone experienced a dealer not denying a warrantee power train claim with an intake on their car.
kayla72911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Put the stock intake back on before going to dealer. ?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Put the stock intake back on before going to dealer. ?
1- doesn't have anything to do with my question.
2- sometimes that isn't an option.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
A few years ago a friend of mine brought his diesel Silverado in that had sucked half a K&N air filter oil onto the MAF sensor, and the thing would barely run. He even had a little hole drilled for the Bully Dog O2 sensor in the downpipe (the programmer was removed when he brought it in though). Tech totally found the O2 sensor hole and just laughed. The dealer still warrantied it despite there being a service bulletin explicitly saying that dealers should not honor warranty for diesel trucks using K&N filters. It is really up to the dealer as far as I am concerned. You will probably find both extremes. Problem is, if one dealer decides to void your warranty you are screwed.

Some dealers offer performance parts including blowers - Berger in Grand Rapids Michigan for example. They have even made their own Camaro editions and full warranty them. Find a good dealer and build a relationship - that is the best way to handle stuff like this! They are more likely to look the other way if you are a good customer.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:21 PM   #5
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
A few years ago a friend of mine brought his diesel Silverado in that had sucked half a K&N air filter oil onto the MAF sensor, and the thing would barely run. He even had a little hole drilled for the Bully Dog O2 sensor in the downpipe (the programmer was removed when he brought it in though). Tech totally found the O2 sensor hole and just laughed. The dealer still warrantied it despite there being a service bulletin explicitly saying that dealers should not honor warranty for diesel trucks using K&N filters. It is really up to the dealer as far as I am concerned. You will probably find both extremes. Problem is, if one dealer decides to void your warranty you are screwed.

Some dealers offer performance parts including blowers - Berger in Grand Rapids Michigan for example. They have even made their own Camaro editions and full warranty them. Find a good dealer and build a relationship - that is the best way to handle stuff like this! They are more likely to look the other way if you are a good customer.

-Geoff
Thank you very much.
I have a really good relationship with the dealer next to me. Hopefully they will let an intake slide. I don't plan on doing anything crazy to the car; an intake and call it done.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla72911 View Post
Thank you very much.
I have a really good relationship with the dealer next to me. Hopefully they will let an intake slide. I don't plan on doing anything crazy to the car; an intake and call it done.
Basically, an intake isn't going to "hurt" the engine, at the end of the day they basically have to prove the intake caused the problem that they are denying under warranty... Most reputable dealers realize these are cars that are modded by enthusiasts and that 95% of the mods will not harm the car...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #7
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Don't even chance it if you're worried about your warranty. They don't have to prove anything all they have to do is let Gm know you have an intake on and next thing you know all power train aspects of your warranty are gone. It truly does come down to the dealers discretion some play by the book some don't. I've had a power train warranty denied because of a catch can granted it was a Ford dealership that did this the rules still apply for other manufacturers. Before anybody brings up Magnuson Moss to you remember if it goes to court it's your lawyer vs theirs and they got plenty of money to support theirs question would be do you.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:36 AM   #8
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i never understood those worried about warranties willing to risk it for a "performance" mod that won't yield any noticeable results. if it's noise you want, fold the back seat down. a bone stock car will gain nothing from any available cai that plays well with the maf.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:58 AM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i never understood those worried about warranties willing to risk it for a "performance" mod that won't yield any noticeable results. if it's noise you want, fold the back seat down. a bone stock car will gain nothing from any available cai that plays well with the maf.
Yep. If you need the warranty, do NOT modify your car. If you want a fast car, mod away and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:03 AM   #10
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla72911 View Post
Has anyone here personally experienced being harassed at a dealer for having an intake when making a warrantee power train claim?
Yes... Yes I know the law; which is why I'm asking for personal experience.

Separate question:
Has anyone experienced a dealer not denying a warrantee power train claim with an intake on their car.
It can really depend on the individual service department. Some are cool and know that simple mods like a quality intake or a K&N filter won’t hurt your vehicle and so will allow it. Some are idiots or just plain dicks about it.

Best to stop by and talk in person to the service dept manager for where you intend to take your car and just ask.

There is a factory GM CAI that you can get that won’t void the warranty. But I would think because of that, no reasonable service department would void a warranty if say you have a Roto-fab or similar.

But it’s always best to not give any possible reason if there is any doubt and return to stock before bringing the car in.

All that being said, I would recommend NEVER taking your car to a dealership for anything unless you absolutely have to.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #11
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Don't even chance it if you're worried about your warranty. They don't have to prove anything all they have to do is let Gm know you have an intake on and next thing you know all power train aspects of your warranty are gone. It truly does come down to the dealers discretion some play by the book some don't. I've had a power train warranty denied because of a catch can granted it was a Ford dealership that did this the rules still apply for other manufacturers. Before anybody brings up Magnuson Moss to you remember if it goes to court it's your lawyer vs theirs and they got plenty of money to support theirs question would be do you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
Great Posts.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
And.... OP is banned.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Lol why did he get banned?
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron07 View Post
Lol why did he get banned?
From What I have seen, posting the same thing across multiple subforums.

On the subject of the post. A dealer doesn't have to prove anything with aftermarket parts. If they decide to void the warranty, YOU have to prove why it didn't cause an issue. Unfortunately, thats the way the legal world works.