Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #15
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
The problem I have with this is that I don't seen anything official from GM about placing jacks there. I have nothing against LethalGarage (his videos are very good) but I have a hard time trusting this just because one guy/company said so, especially if I am under the car. I've posted about this and never had a definitive answer.

I want to know why ZL1 Addons now specifically says not to use the pads with jack stands. I don't remember that explicit warning until pretty recently. My guess is someone did it wrong and the car slid off. The way my jack stands fit "in" the pads feels as steady as it can be. I also know that the car was designed to have the weight in this area. With that being said, the fact that ZL1 Addons now says this gives me great concern about doing it again.
I think it kind of depends on which type of jack stands you have, if you just have the standard style of stand with the pinch weld gap, I wouldn't use the zl1 pads because i could see them slipping off the stand pretty easily. If you have a flat top pad like the ESCO stands have, I would use them on the zl1 pads as slipping off the flat tops seem highly unlikely.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Thanks.

I actually have all of those products from ZL1-Addons. I intend to place the jack pads on the far forward pinch welds and on the aft pinch welds. Then use the second forward pinch weld to lift with the Mag pad.

MLee, do you agree with the placement of the jack pads in the video. He says he's done it hundreds of times. I am just looking for some consensus. Generally if something works everyone does it.
Placement of the jack pads is where mine will be going but as others mentioned you need to be careful of how your jack stand fits. I mainly want mine for anytime I'm at a shop so they don't screw up.

The Mag Pad positioned in the center is all I ever need for changing tires back and forth. I sort of wanted to try the jack pads to try and make changing camber on the ZLE a bit easier with both fronts off the ground so the sway bar connecting the two sides will move around easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I think it kind of depends on which type of jack stands you have, if you just have the standard style of stand with the pinch weld gap, I wouldn't use the zl1 pads because i could see them slipping off the stand pretty easily. If you have a flat top pad like the ESCO stands have, I would use them on the zl1 pads as slipping off the flat tops seem highly unlikely.
I really like this one
Old 12-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #17
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Just to jump in here being an employee of ZL1 Addons and also being the one who made the linked video.

You should avoid putting jack stands on a pinch weld period unless you have a pinch weld designed stand. Jack stands are not designed for that sort of placement.

The main body of the unibody is a perfect solid point to put stands as outlined in the video. I know of 5 performance shops that only use those points. You just want to make sure you have it under an area that offers enough space on both sides so the car sits nice and flat and even if it did slip, it's going nowhere. I have pulled the motor and had my car hovering on these spots for years based on the suggestion of the shops I have talked to. All of them avoid the pinch welds.

The ZL1 products are designed to work with Lifts and floor jacks. Never use them with a jack stand. Your car with the ZL1 Addons products on a Jack stand is very dangerous and can easily slide off the stands.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #18
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I agree that they shouldn’t be used with standard jack stands, however I have no concerns personally using the ESCO style stands mentioned above with the lift pads. No different then mounting pads on a lift.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I agree on the unibody points as being the best secure jack stand locations. However, for me, the potential of being crushed, scares the hell out of me. I won’t place my body under a car with just one form of support that has three failure points (IE pinch weld - to puck - to hydraulic jack). That’s right, I freely admit, I’m a chicken. I’d more than likely utilize the Esco type design as a secondary back up at another pinch weld, prior to sliding another jack stand and my body under the car.

Only reason I say this is I’ve seen some bad things happen to safety conscience people... more is always better when it comes to safety. For me, it took being electrocuted, a close call on a moss covered roof, a ladder failure, hoisting pick point failure and personally witnessing deaths / maiming of others to realize unexpected / stupid shit happens.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 12-29-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #20
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I agree on the unibody points as being the best secure jack stand locations. However, for me, the potential of being crushed, scares the hell out of me. I won’t place my body under a car with just one form of support that has three failure points (IE pinch weld - to puck - to hydraulic jack). That’s right, I freely admit, I’m a chicken. I’d more than likely utilize the Esco type design as a secondary back up at another pinch weld, prior to sliding another jack stand and my body under the car.

Only reason I say this is I’ve seen some bad things happen to safety conscience people... more is always better when it comes to safety. For me, it took being electrocuted, a close call on a moss covered roof, a ladder failure, hoisting pick point failure and personally witnessing deaths / maiming of others to realize unexpected / stupid shit happens.
I typically have the floor jacks and stands in place.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #21
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
I personally have a quick jack which I believe is great, but before pulling the trigger on it. I looked into this jackstand that has the pinch weld adapter and you use a jack to set it up. Has anyone used them before?
Attached Images

20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #22
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Just to jump in here being an employee of ZL1 Addons and also being the one who made the linked video.

You should avoid putting jack stands on a pinch weld period unless you have a pinch weld designed stand. Jack stands are not designed for that sort of placement.

The main body of the unibody is a perfect solid point to put stands as outlined in the video. I know of 5 performance shops that only use those points. You just want to make sure you have it under an area that offers enough space on both sides so the car sits nice and flat and even if it did slip, it's going nowhere. I have pulled the motor and had my car hovering on these spots for years based on the suggestion of the shops I have talked to. All of them avoid the pinch welds.

The ZL1 products are designed to work with Lifts and floor jacks. Never use them with a jack stand. Your car with the ZL1 Addons products on a Jack stand is very dangerous and can easily slide off the stands.
Thank you for your feedback. It is appreciated. I agree with everything you are saying.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I see this thread has been revived.

I have since changed my oil.

I followed Lethal Garages video. Even going to Harbor Freight and getting two 3 ton floor jacks. I had forgotten that my aluminum floor jack was only 2 ton. I guess with old age I am not as adventurous about lifting and getting under the car.

I lifted the Camaro on one side and was sliding my jack stand under the frame. But looking at the underside of the chassis I didn't feel comfortable with placing the jack stand there. I think it could cause some minor damage on other things under the chassis. This is just me. I have no doubt that this point will support the car on jack stands.

While this is not recommended. I have the ZL1 addon lift pads on installed. With rubber boots on the typical jack stands and placed them under the jack pads. With the jack stand and floor jack supporting one side of the car, I lifted the other side of the car and placed a jack stand on the forward jack pad (with a rubber boot on the jack stand).

My intent was the lift the rear of the car, and place it on all four jack stands. However, with the suitcase muffler, accessing the rear cross member was difficult. Trying to place jack stands on the rear by lifting from the sides of the chassis proved to be a bad idea.

So with just the front end on jack stands, I changed the oil. I'll change the differential fluid when I can get the car on a lift. There may be a Quickjack in my future.

Funny thing. I sold the White 1SS 1LE to Carmax a week later and bought a Shadow Grey Metallic ZL1 A10.
Attached Images

Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #24
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Some people are pretty clever. I saw this at the track the other day, it seemed quite slick.
http://www.jackpointjackstands.com

The top portion goes on your floor jack pad, slide under your pinch point, jack the car up and slide the base around the jack, lower jack and repeat to lift the car. The guy using it, did one side at a time on a BMW. A bit pricey, but what is the price for peace of mind?

No, I don't have any. I use quick jack and ZL1 addons bolt on pads
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Some people are pretty clever. I saw this at the track the other day, it seemed quite slick.
http://www.jackpointjackstands.com

The top portion goes on your floor jack pad, slide under your pinch point, jack the car up and slide the base around the jack, lower jack and repeat to lift the car. The guy using it, did one side at a time on a BMW. A bit pricey, but what is the price for peace of mind?

No, I don't have any. I use quick jack and ZL1 addons bolt on pads
Those are bad ass... $319 bucks a pair is definitely pricey though.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #26
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Smart dude....and wow, awesome product. I freakin love it. Definitely on my buy list. I’m good with the cost, American design / manufacturer, that’s the cherry on top.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yup, pricey. But cheaper than a quick jack
Old 12-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #28
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
I have a home shop four post lift, but I can see those as being very useful. Hope china doesn't copy the idea and diminish the guy's work.