Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #29
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I was able to check off a bucket list item by driving the Nurburgring several years ago. Although I had more track experience than most of the drivers in my group, I was clearly at a disadvantage to those who had spent time on a simulator beforehand. Even the console games (which have come a long way since then) were helpful.
This was my thought a few weeks ago & was going to post asking what games/Sims people were using, thinking would have to help to some degree, but I figured I’d get laughed at for asking such a thing. I was initially think Forza 7 as there is a ZL1 you can buy & it has Road America as a map.

At the same time Sims are used extensively in aeronautics training, so there has to be an intrinsic value.

I’ve had racing games in the past, but never an actual driving rig. I think everyone has done the arcade racing games, & some are pretty fun.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 11-14-2020 at 07:33 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #30
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Excellent question. Not all tracks are covered. Best to Google the one of interest. For example, Area 27 is on RFactor, as the designers have used the sim to design the track. Albeit the graphics are apparently just so so. But they say the dymamics are very close to reality. I do believe that some sims have production cars, check Assetocorsa sim and again Google the subject. (As there are quite a number of choices). Unfortunately i have zero experience beyond iRacing so can be of no help here.

What i can tell ya, is that being familiar with a venue on a sim (regardless of what car you drive there) is a HUGE bonus. It paid benefits for me when i visited Mid Ohio in my C5Z and was able to turn 1:38s there (Club) on my first visit (damn - that was 5 yrs ago - time flies!).

Also, dont automatically assume how you may use a sim before trying it. The dynamics are very real and provide for virtually a true parallel to reality (at least on top sims), regarding working on driver skill. With zero risk Cheers!
Thanks TC!

Area 27, The Ridge and OPR are the three tracks I plan on doing up next summer once each.

I’ll start googling!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks TC!

Area 27, The Ridge and OPR are the three tracks I plan on doing up next summer once each.

I’ll start googling!
My pleasure! Learning new tracks is super fun, as it involves tons of learning on many levels. Sim or RL, same difference (consequences excepted)
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #32
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
What a great thread! After browsing it, and watching some youtube, i decided to get a Logitech G920 as a first step into sim racing. I'm having a blast with just Forza 6 that i haven't played for some time. My kids are having a little fun with it too. My next steps are to get a stand, and try Assetto Corsa. Not sure about iRacing yet. Check out my rig
Attached Images

Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
What a great thread! After browsing it, and watching some youtube, i decided to get a Logitech G920 as a first step into sim racing. I'm having a blast with just Forza 6 that i haven't played for some time. My kids are having a little fun with it too. My next steps are to get a stand, and try Assetto Corsa. Not sure about iRacing yet. Check out my rig
Yay Congrats and happy new year!
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #34
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yay Congrats and happy new year!
Thanks TrackClub for the thread! I thought more would find my Dora toddler table setup funny... oh well.
Do you have any thoughts on the iRacing tire model? I found quite a few that think it doesn’t handle large amounts of slip accurately, and that AC is better
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #35
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks TrackClub for the thread! I thought more would find my Dora toddler table setup funny... oh well.
Do you have any thoughts on the iRacing tire model? I found quite a few that think it doesn’t handle large amounts of slip accurately, and that AC is better
Well, your set up did make me LoL

Can't comment on differences between various sims, as I've only done iRacing. The tires are sensitive to weather, temps, number of laps, etc. An outlap can be very greasy for example, until one gets some heat into them. The pace also falls off from about lap 3 - as one would expect in RL. There is a huge difference between say 78F vs 115F track temps, etc. This requires adopting to different conditions even within a race. I think it is pretty realistic. Given tons of world class pros race on iRacing regularly, i gotta assume they prefer it...
What i have heard, is that other sims are more forgiving re slip angles and grip levels in general. But again, no first hand experience, so cannot really comment.
One thing for sure: a vast majority of members on the service don't treat it as a game per se, but rather a serious attempt at proper sim racing on many levels. 24hr enduros (like Rolex at Daytona, or LeMans - which are run just before the real events) attract many of top F1, Indycar, IMSA, DTM and other pro driver teams.
Super fun to watch them wheel! Cheers!
Old 07-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #36
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Just in case anyone is looking for a complete rig, this is about the best you can do at this price point. This is my rig and it's rock solid. All great equipment.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1043...17070834971319
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #37
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Just in case anyone is looking for a complete rig, this is about the best you can do at this price point. This is my rig and it's rock solid. All great equipment.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1043...17070834971319

Can't seem.to open the link without joining
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #38
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Can't seem.to open the link without joining
Hmmm ok... Here are some screenshots. If someone is really interested just let me know and I'll post better info.
Attached Images

Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:03 AM   #39
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Forgot about this thread until recently, so sorry for not seeing you post sooner, but that is hilarious.

If I had stolen my kids table a long time ago it would have been a Wiggles one. Not sure I’d have thought of it however.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #40
Ninjor

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Ever since I preordered my SS 1LE I have been obsessing over Iracing, even though I have only played it with an xbox controller so far it's pretty awesome. Get my Fanatec Wheel/ pedals tomorrow!!

Does anybody know of what cars in Iracing drive similar to the SS 1LE?
Ninjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #41
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjor View Post
Ever since I preordered my SS 1LE I have been obsessing over Iracing, even though I have only played it with an xbox controller so far it's pretty awesome. Get my Fanatec Wheel/ pedals tomorrow!!

Does anybody know of what cars in Iracing drive similar to the SS 1LE?
Yep: Caddy CTS V race car hands down. Enjoy!
Old 02-15-2022, 06:58 AM   #42
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Reviving this older thread to share a bit of my journey into sim racing. I did a few HPDE events last year with the ZLE and got hooked. Wanted to try and (somewhat) replicate that fun and thrill in the offseason, so I built a sim rig over the winter.

I'm about a month into iRacing and it's been a blast. I did several Rookie races in the Global Mazda MX-5 Cup and was able to get my safety rating up high enough for promotion to Class D. Since then, I've been doing the Touring Car Challenge in Audi RS3 LMS. So much fun. I've found it's a good car for beginners, easy to drive and fairly forgiving. I was even able to pull off a Pole Position, P1 in the race and fastest lap in the race. I know I won't fair as well as I continue to move up

Here's a video of that P1 race:

And some pics of the rig...

Specs:
  • GT Omega Prime w/ RS6 Seat
  • Fanatec CSL DD Wheel Base
  • Fanatec Clubsport RS Rim
  • Fanatec McLaren GT3 Rim
  • Fanatec CSL Pedals w/ Clutch Kit (waiting on load cell kit)
  • SHH Shifter
  • Samsung Odyssey G9 Super Ultrawide Monitor
  • PC w/ Ryzen 5600X & NVIDIA 3080 Ti FE
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote