Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #463
AutoPenalti

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 1SS
I still run into the issue where I slowly accelerate and the A8 decides to hang and almost jolt into second gear.
AutoPenalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #464
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoPenalti View Post
I still run into the issue where I slowly accelerate and the A8 decides to hang and almost jolt into second gear.
My car does this when cold. Does the fluid swap fix it?

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #465
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
that has nothing to do with the fluid issue.

That's just fun tcm/ecu tuning. similar to the car not down-shifting in certain low speed scenarios until you provide much more accelerator pedal travel than you would think necessary ...which while triggering a shift, will result in a pronounced change of speed instead of a nice gradual one.

the a8 (both varieties) have had such low speed quirks since the 6th gen was brand new.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #466
AutoPenalti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
that has nothing to do with the fluid issue.

That's just fun tcm/ecu tuning. similar to the car not down-shifting in certain low speed scenarios until you provide much more accelerator pedal travel than you would think necessary ...which while triggering a shift, will result in a pronounced change of speed instead of a nice gradual one.

the a8 (both varieties) have had such low speed quirks since the 6th gen was brand new.
That also happens when I try to (rarely) floor it off the line.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #467
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post

-Geoff
I assume you're long out of bumper-to-bumper and perhaps even powertrain warranty, so I'll suggest that you get it tuned. A competent tuner can make it feel like a near perfect transmission, just the way mine is. No shudder, no jolts, no lurches, no weird 3->1 downshifts, smooth in tour mode, animal at WOT in sport/track.

(What I mean by "near perfect" is all except for the paddle shift lag that doesn't seem to be fixable... although I do have a dirty trick in mind that I'll try once I have a little extra time).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #468
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post

-Geoff
Nope. I just did a full trans fluid flush and new filter and my 2017 still does this mainly when the fluid is cold.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #469
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
That also happens when I try to (rarely) floor it off the line.
so you floor it and the car responds with a few moments of slow acceleration before kicking into full wot?

that sounds like perhaps something entirely different. At a stop (for more than a few moments) the car should shift down to 1st and flooring it should result in immediate acceleration. Any deviation from that makes me think that something else is going on unrelated to the things described above.

Sometimes if you stop for only a moment though, (or dont fully stop) you'll still be in 2nd and it will take a moment for the car to downshift for the few seconds it'll stay in 1st and then move back up thru the gears. That kind sometimes yield funky acceleration sensation
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #470
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I assume you're long out of bumper-to-bumper and perhaps even powertrain warranty, so I'll suggest that you get it tuned. A competent tuner can make it feel like a near perfect transmission, just the way mine is. No shudder, no jolts, no lurches, no weird 3->1 downshifts, smooth in tour mode, animal at WOT in sport/track.

(What I mean by "near perfect" is all except for the paddle shift lag that doesn't seem to be fixable... although I do have a dirty trick in mind that I'll try once I have a little extra time).
I am still under powertrain warranty until the end of the year, so no tunes for at least another year. I was hoping to trade it in on a new one next year, but with this chip shortage it may be a couple years.

I used the think the paddle shifter was a complete waste until I drove out to Colorado a few years back. I can't imagine driving in the mountains without it. I never could really understand the paddle for performance driving though.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #471
AutoPenalti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
so you floor it and the car responds with a few moments of slow acceleration before kicking into full wot?

that sounds like perhaps something entirely different. At a stop (for more than a few moments) the car should shift down to 1st and flooring it should result in immediate acceleration. Any deviation from that makes me think that something else is going on unrelated to the things described above.

Sometimes if you stop for only a moment though, (or dont fully stop) you'll still be in 2nd and it will take a moment for the car to downshift for the few seconds it'll stay in 1st and then move back up thru the gears. That kind sometimes yield funky acceleration sensation
No, I floor it off first and it lurches violently before shifting to second. Almost like it hesitates before finally biting.
Doesn’t always happen, but during the times it does it almost feels like I’m about to blow the tranny off the line lmao. It’s so violent that it takes me off the gas for a brief second. It’s the same sensation you get when you drive stick and you let go of the clutch too quick and the car jolts.

Last edited by AutoPenalti; 05-11-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #472
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
No, I floor it off first and it lurches violently before shifting to second. Almost like it hesitates before finally biting.
Doesn’t always happen, but during the times it does it almost feels like I’m about to blow the tranny off the line lmao. It’s so violent that it takes me off the gas for a brief second. It’s the same sensation you get when you drive stick and you incorrectly change gears and the car jolts.
I get that sometimes but only when my trans temp is really low, worth a shot to check it I’d say
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #473
AutoPenalti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I get that sometimes but only when my trans temp is really low, worth a shot to check it I’d say
Have you ever noticed your RPM climb's slightly before finally shifting? Only from 1st to 2nd especially during rush hour traffic?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #474
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Have you ever noticed your RPM climb's slightly before finally shifting? Only from 1st to 2nd especially during rush hour traffic?
My RPM’s rise before shifts in lower gears but that’s not dependent on the trans fluid temp. It was fixed with a tune but the temp jumped like 20-30° these past weeks and it’s returned so I was hoping a retune would fix that
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #475
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
My 2018 with 7500 miles is at the dealer right now for this, the TSB describes it perfectly

"Some customers may comment that their vehicle is experiencing a shake and/or shudder during light throttle acceleration between 25 and 80 mph (40 and 128 km/h) steady state driving when transmission is not actively shifting gears.
⇒ The condition may be described as if they are driving over rumble strips or a
concrete road surface with rough expansion joints."

This is not the slight change you feel when it goes from V4 back to V8 mode, it really feels like you are driving over a rumble strip on the highway. As soon as I felt it starting I made an appointment to get it taken care of under warranty.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #476
AutoPenalti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
My RPM’s rise before shifts in lower gears but that’s not dependent on the trans fluid temp. It was fixed with a tune but the temp jumped like 20-30° these past weeks and it’s returned so I was hoping a retune would fix that
Then sounds like mine really just needs a TCM tune, my car is bone stock other than the Borla ATAK I added a year ago and my BtB warranty expired but not my powertrain so I don't know if I should just wait until that expires as well... the whole jolt/jerk when shifting to 2nd just gets really annoying after a while.