Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 04-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Track alignment (SG3) ordeal

Be careful who you take your cars to for an alignment. I went to a local national chain (leaving name out) with GM track specs and rear camber/toe tty bolts in hand.

Arrived at 1pm. Was told they can’t use the bolts I brought and that they are not needed. Ok I know 2-3x is probably ok and if it slips I’ve got 1yr free realignments. Whatever...

1hr later: tech came out and rear camber looks good, he then informed me the front is not adjustable and is at -.8 (I just installed the GM lowering kit/sways so I guess I did a good job eyeballing it lol). I told him no, the top strut bolt hole is elongated you can adjust it. Said he’d never done one of these cars, apologized and went back at it.

2hrs later: car pulled up. Master mechanic and the tech came out and said best they can get is -0.4. I shook my head and said ummm when I brought it in it was -0.8 right, the sheet says -2.0. Some more confusion... after going back and forth a bit they thought I wanted 2.0 positive camber (even though the GM sheet says negative -2.0). 30min later they got it to this.

I should have taken it to a dealer. Was there 4hrs. Yeash. Only reason I didn’t is I have a rotofab and didn’t want to swap the stock back in. I would have been time ahead to just do it.

Moral of the story: you get what you pay for I guess. lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 04-19-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Chrome383Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:17 AM   #2
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Be careful who you take your cars to for an alignment. I went to a local national chain (leaving name out) with GM track specs and rear camber/toe tty bolts in hand.

Arrived at 1pm. Was told they can’t use the bolts I brought and that they are not needed. Ok I know 2-3x is probably ok and if it slips I’ve got 1yr free realignments. Whatever...

1hr later: tech came out and rear camber looks good, he then informed me the front is not adjustable and is at -.8 (I just installed the GM lowering kit/sways so I guess I did a good job eyeballing it lol). I told him no, the top strut bolt hole is elongated you can adjust it. Said he’d never done one of these cars, apologized and went back at it.

2hrs later: car pulled up. Master mechanic and the tech came out and said best they can get is -0.4. I shook my head and said ummm when I brought it in it was -0.8 right, the sheet says -2.0. Some more confusion... after going back and forth a bit they thought I wanted 2.0 positive camber (even though the GM sheet says negative -2.0). 30min later they got it to this.

I should have taken it to a dealer. Was there 4hrs. Yeash. Only reason I didn’t is I have a rotofab and didn’t want to swap the stock back in. I would have been time ahead to just do it.

Moral of the story: you get what you pay for I guess. lol
YEAH that sounds like complete bullshit to me. With my SG3 installed, we could get ABOUT -2.0 degrees negative camber out of the rear and ABOUT -2.2 degrees negative camber out of the front. I then installed VORSHLAG camber plates on the front and I get about -3.6 degrees on the front when I track. Go to your local road course track if you have one and find out who those guys use for their alignments because THEY will know exactly how to set car up.

The very FIRST guy I used for alignment tried to tell me that with the STOCK camber bolts I could only get about - .8 degrees camber and I had to pay him a couple hundred dollars to install some slotted camber bolts if I wanted more. I KNEW that was BS so I took car to a guy that does track alignments all the time.

The problem with GM dealer is that some if not MOST of them will not adjust car past normal factory alignment specs. Especially for track situations our cars require ALOT of negative camber especially on the fronts to turn in properly. The rears feel really good around -2.0 degrees and you can use that for both track and street. I use -2.2 degrees negative for street setting and MAX setting of -3.6 degrees with plates on the fronts for track days. I have about 14K miles and 10 track days on my MICHELIN Sport 4S tires (305-30-19 SQUARE). Tire wear has been EVEN across the thread and I have ABOUT 40% tire left on a michelin 30K warranty (I can rotate and do every 4K miles).
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
I feel you. After installing my complete BMR, Eibach suspension, I took it to GM for a 1LE alignment on my 2SS. I had bad experiences with another garage when they weren't able to get the job done properly either. After 4 hours, and 2 phone calls to tell me they can't get it aligned. He was able to get it after all, but I had to walk him through it. Same deal here, he had never done one before. He really struggled with the 1LE track alignment so I settled for just the regular 1LE alignment. In 3 years of ownership, I have seen 4 Camaros in my area. They are all stock and probably don't get alignments done every year.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yea im getting my full spl parts installed this week going to fancy alignment this weekend so wish me luck!