Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Crazy Cycler

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Engine Damage from Dealer not adding enough oil

I took my 2017 2SS into the dealer for its first oil change. On the way home I stopped off for gas and when I restarted the car, there was a service message that I needed to add oil. I was close to home so I drove home and then checked the oil. The oil didn't show at all on the dip stick. I looked at the paperwork and the dealer only put in 6 quarts of oil when they should have added 10. I called the dealer and they sent someone out and put 4 more quarts in. I drove about 30 miles with the engine 4 quarts low. Does anyone know if this damaged the engine? I am considering asking the dealer for an extended warranty on the engine.
Crazy Cycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No you'll be fine
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
Im surprised you even got a message, used too the low oil indicator would not come on until like half a quart left in a car. Should be fine though.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
You should be fine, but if it were me, I would fight to get a few more free oil changes out of the dealership for "possibly damaging the engine." An extended warranty would be nice, but I doubt they would offer you that.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
ThatDaveGuy

Drives: old and needing replaced
I suspect it would be fine. My wife once drove 40 miles with the 'low oil pressure' light on (rear main seal blew out and dumped all engine oil. That engine seemed to come out ok (somehow!). I hate to start sounding like a commercial used oil analysis lab, but if you want piece of mind, and especially if that '6 quart + 4 quart' oil is still in the engine, you could google 'used oil analysis lab'. Choose one of those labs and get a sample kit. At the next oil change, grab a sample of the used oil coming out and send it to the lab. They will look for things like wear metals... iron from cylinder liners/rings/crankshaft, etc, aluminum from pistons, lead from bearings, and so on. Most likely everything will be in the normal range. If not, it *might* work as evidence to give you a bit of leverage with the dealer. Though I suspect they'd try and blow it off as 'normal', too. I've listed some details for a lab I occasionally use in another post I made. I won't specifically mention them here as I don't want to sound like their spokesman! Just a place I've had good service and decent price from - I have no monetary affiliation. Either way, good luck, I think it will be fine!
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:31 AM   #6
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cycler View Post
I took my 2017 2SS into the dealer for its first oil change. I looked at the paperwork and the dealer only put in 6 quarts of oil when they should have added 10. I called the dealer and they sent someone out and put 4 more quarts in.
I'd make sure both the repair orders show this. Then put them away for safe keeping (in case of any future issues).
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Crazy Cycler

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to hear that most likely there is not a problem.
Crazy Cycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
I can't believe these stories. I worked at a Jiffy Lube during high school and pulling the dipstick to check the level was the single most important part of an oil change. In fact, we had to pull it half-way out as a first step and to serve as a reminder to check it as a last step.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
I can't believe these stories. I worked at a Jiffy Lube during high school and pulling the dipstick to check the level was the single most important part of an oil change. In fact, we had to pull it half-way out as a first step and to serve as a reminder to check it as a last step.

Well other than on the LT1 it says to wait 30 minutes for oil to drain back to the pan in order to get a accurate oil level.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote