#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
Slurpee

Drives: 2020 ZL1 A10; Shadow Gray Metallic
Importance of 1LE Canards

Hello all

Tracked my 2020 ZL1 over the course of the summer, and have fallen in love with tracking. Got 18 inch Apex wheels coming for next season for take off slicks and save on cost of rubber. Track buddies and I have a supplier that sells used slicks that were only used for 1 session by pro's, so very high quality take offs.

Anyways, I was looking to convert to 1LE front aero, but I'm really against cutting into my bumper. I found that the APR front splitter swaps out with the regular ZL1 splitter, so no need to change my grille. Is there a noticeable affect with the canards? Wondering if the longer APR front splitter will compensate for it. I did pick up a used Anderson Composites 1LE wing. Hoping there's no fitment issues, but it was hard to pass up for half the cost. Couldn't justify getting an OEM wing for how much they cost now.

Fully understand that more time behind the wheel is more important than upgrades, but looking long term.
Slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Thought about doing the slick take offs as well and I will pass on some advice from a couple instructors I have talked to. Be very careful with that, and maybe spend another year getting seat time first. Street tires give you clear warnings when they are about to give up the grip, slicks do not, and unless you are very familiar with your car and its limits the point at which they give up can be a surprise. Sorry to hijack a thread just thought I would pass along the info that was given to me. I turned instead to Michelin PS Cup 2's which you can find on facebook marketplace used and perform very well.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #3
Russ.G

Drives: 17 ZL1, 03 Z06, 98 Formula, 12 GT
I have a 2018 ZL1 that has the 1LE bumper and canards but base ZL1 rear wing. It definitely makes a difference in terms of high speed balance. The car gets looser the faster you go. Is there a noticeable effect? - Yes at 130+.

Having gone down the scrub slick road with a 1998 f-body and 2003 Z06 I would also caution you against doing it especially on a newer car. Cars with highly integrated electronics are very sensitive to tire diameter/width/stagger/compound. You will only make the handling worse with scrubs on something like a ZL1.
Russ.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:46 PM   #4
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Hello all

Tracked my 2020 ZL1 over the course of the summer, and have fallen in love with tracking. Got 18 inch Apex wheels coming for next season for take off slicks and save on cost of rubber. Track buddies and I have a supplier that sells used slicks that were only used for 1 session by pro's, so very high quality take offs.

Anyways, I was looking to convert to 1LE front aero, but I'm really against cutting into my bumper. I found that the APR front splitter swaps out with the regular ZL1 splitter, so no need to change my grille. Is there a noticeable affect with the canards? Wondering if the longer APR front splitter will compensate for it. I did pick up a used Anderson Composites 1LE wing. Hoping there's no fitment issues, but it was hard to pass up for half the cost. Couldn't justify getting an OEM wing for how much they cost now.

Fully understand that more time behind the wheel is more important than upgrades, but looking long term.
Getting the APR splitter will be a bigger benefit than the front canards. You are also adding double the rear downforce and the front spitter could help balance that out.

You need to be going around the turns fast enough to make the downforce to then apply it to what you are doing. You will likely be just ripping it down the straights and causing drag with the canards... which is slowing you down overall.
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
dive planes/canards do have a noticeable effect in high speed braking zones....the front end is noticeably more planted. You can feel the difference as I added them to my '17 ZL1. On street they are useless as speeds aren't high enough to matter.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #6
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Thought about doing the slick take offs as well and I will pass on some advice from a couple instructors I have talked to. Be very careful with that, and maybe spend another year getting seat time first. Street tires give you clear warnings when they are about to give up the grip, slicks do not, and unless you are very familiar with your car and its limits the point at which they give up can be a surprise. Sorry to hijack a thread just thought I would pass along the info that was given to me. I turned instead to Michelin PS Cup 2's which you can find on facebook marketplace used and perform very well.
I'll keep that in mind, but already pulled the trigger on the 18 inch wheels. I was planning on replacing the fronts for every session until I'm more comfortable with them. That's probably overkill because we're getting the tires that only have 1 heat cycle. Long term, it's hard to beat.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #7
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.G View Post
I have a 2018 ZL1 that has the 1LE bumper and canards but base ZL1 rear wing. It definitely makes a difference in terms of high speed balance. The car gets looser the faster you go. Is there a noticeable effect? - Yes at 130+.

Having gone down the scrub slick road with a 1998 f-body and 2003 Z06 I would also caution you against doing it especially on a newer car. Cars with highly integrated electronics are very sensitive to tire diameter/width/stagger/compound. You will only make the handling worse with scrubs on something like a ZL1.
Yeah I've noticed that on high speed turns the rear end feels very loose. I'm looking at upgrading the rear cradle mounts, and it's why I added the 1LE wing. My home track doesn't have a corner at that speed though, highest speed corner is about 80-90, depending on the car. So it seems the canards wouldn't have an affect on that track.

I did a lot of research on that and the conclusion that I saw was the electronics only freak out when you run square set ups. The take off slicks are something like .2 inches off in diameter compared to OEM, and I didn't see any complaints on the electronics. Biggest complaint was taking 2-3 laps to warm up the tires and loosing a lot of your first session.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #8
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
Getting the APR splitter will be a bigger benefit than the front canards. You are also adding double the rear downforce and the front spitter could help balance that out.

You need to be going around the turns fast enough to make the downforce to then apply it to what you are doing. You will likely be just ripping it down the straights and causing drag with the canards... which is slowing you down overall.
Yeah I definitely either need the 1LE splitter or the APR splitter. Front spoiler may be the more accurate term.

Yeah we really don't have that high speed turns at my home track. Highest speed is something like 80-90 MPH depending on car and conditions. Road America would probably see the most benefit from the canards, but I'd only be going there twice a year max.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
dive planes/canards do have a noticeable effect in high speed braking zones....the front end is noticeably more planted. You can feel the difference as I added them to my '17 ZL1. On street they are useless as speeds aren't high enough to matter.
How high speed are we talking about? I'd say we only have 1 turn where that applies. Hit about 110 on the straight and brake to about 80-90 for the turn. But on that turn, the rear end is what feels loose, not the front end. Which is why I got the 1LE wing and looking to upgrade to the solid rear cradle mounts.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
How high speed are we talking about? I'd say we only have 1 turn where that applies. Hit about 110 on the straight and brake to about 80-90 for the turn. But on that turn, the rear end is what feels loose, not the front end. Which is why I got the 1LE wing and looking to upgrade to the solid rear cradle mounts.
back straight at VIR is 158-162mph with a slight left in braking and the front straight is 153-156mph. They probably help in the 100+mph areas but the stability is more obvious where the speeds are fastest.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #11
Slurpee

Quote:
back straight at VIR is 158-162mph with a slight left in braking and the front straight is 153-156mph. They probably help in the 100+mph areas but the stability is more obvious where the speeds are fastest.
Good to know. Think I'll start with the APR front air dam / splitter and see what the aero feels like. Don't have to take off the whole bumper or drill holes into it, so it's a reasonable compromise.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:43 PM   #12
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
I'd like to hear some details from the 1LE engineer team on when the aero becomes effective. Personally, I think it fees like the canards help plant the front end at speeds of 65/70.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:18 AM   #13
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
They're not completely useless, on a regular ZL1 they will decrease fuel mileage by ~1mpg.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:30 AM   #14
Greg83

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Sharkskin
Quote:
Yeah I definitely either need the 1LE splitter or the APR splitter. Front spoiler may be the more accurate term.

Yeah we really don't have that high speed turns at my home track. Highest speed is something like 80-90 MPH depending on car and conditions. Road America would probably see the most benefit from the canards, but I'd only be going there twice a year max.
Hi Slurpee, what is your home town track? I’ve never tracked my car but hoping to do a couple track days next year. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
2022 Shadow Grey 1SS-1LE M6-SOLD
2023 Sharkskin regular ZL1 M6-SOLD
Greg83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zl1, zl1 1le