Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #29
luke2220

Drives: 16 black on black camaro rs
wow, crazy story! I got stuck driving through a blizzard at night before I got my Camaro in an old civic and that was scary as hell because I couldn't see anything and people could barely see me and I couldn't go over 5 mphs without slipping! Thank god you and your daughter made it safely! that is whats important!

I would consider taking up SLO on their offer as it's not worth risking you and your daughter's life to risk making it home in the Camaro!

NPP Fuse Pull Exhaust Upgrade!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdkmmIe1gY
DIY Inexpensive undercarriage washer!
https://youtu.be/a2iMtVYMw9I
Make tires look new!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQyzzpEH8o
Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDo...2UkgZW05nJPSHA
Second Youtube Channel (Money topic):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM5...4LWhcVaTjmPnkg
luke2220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #30
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Another option would be shipping the car home, and catching a plane!
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 PM   #31
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
Used to have a 4th gen z28. With summer tires, even 1/4" of snow caused the rear end to go sideways at anything more than 10-15 mph. No way would I be driving across multiple states!@#
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #32
Erin2017RS

Drives: 2017 RS
glad you made it to your destination safely.

Just bought my 2017 RS this past year and I'd have to say i was a little over confident as far as what my camaro could handle in the snow. Couldn't get out of my development with a fresh 5 inches of snow on the road with the stock all season eagles.Got stuck in the middle of my side street. it will be either snow tires or hopefully a winter beater for next year.
Erin2017RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #33
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin2017RS View Post
glad you made it to your destination safely.

Just bought my 2017 RS this past year and I'd have to say i was a little over confident as far as what my camaro could handle in the snow. Couldn't get out of my development with a fresh 5 inches of snow on the road with the stock all season eagles.Got stuck in the middle of my side street. it will be either snow tires or hopefully a winter beater for next year.

Your story made me laugh.

It reminded me of when I was in school at Penn State after living in Atlanta and Alabama for 20 yrs. I had a base 2012 Camaro at the time. Stock 18” LS wheels with the factory all season tires.

It was snowing, we didn’t have 5 inches at the time, other cars weren’t even driving on the road but what the hell, I wanted to make a beer run.

I hop in the car, pull out of my parking space and low and behold I get stuck in my development at the bottom of a hill where the snow plows pile the snow during snowstorms and in front of some dumpsters.

I tried moving the snow from the tires, in the way a southerner who has little to no experience with snow would try to do so, it didn’t work. Every time I’d try to move the car it would get closer to the curb.

I gave up and called USAA. The woman on the phone was nice but the story was too funny. “Sir, you need a tow where? Home? But you’re already at home.”

Trying to explain this made it seem as though I had already made my beer run and downed a few.

About an hour later the tow truck arrives and the driver laughs heartedly. He says, “man you made my night. I’m pulling everyone else from ditches and tending to crashes but you learned the lesson before even making it on the road. Not to mention this is the easiest money I’ll make all night.”

He then tows my car the 50 feet I had traveled back to my parking spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #34
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
^^Awesome! I remember getting my first set of winter tires... back in 2000 or 2001. It was a used set of blizzacks. Our apt complex doesn't plow the driveway around the rear of the building, only the front/insides (picture a huge maze of sorts building arrangement). Anyways, what better place to test it than on the packed/rutted snow behind the building. Came to a complete stop, waited a few seconds then slowly eased engaged the clutch. The car just went, no wheel spin, no drama, nothing. It was heaven Far cry from the spinning wheels with just a 1/4" of snow on the ground.

tl;dr Use the right tool for the job!!

GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #35
kkriskal

Drives: 2018 2SS Triple Black Performance
Here is the update
First of all, thank you all so so very much for your kindness, concern and all the great advice.
@Gunkk, as per your recommendation, I found a Tire shop who was willing to get the Blizzaks the same day and fix it too. I said ok, then they asked me for Wheel Lock Nut, searched all over the car. Guess what, I remembered that just the previous weekend, I emptied the entire car so I can take it to the wash and vaccume, wash all the mats and stuff, so I left it in my Garage and forgot to put it back in the car.

@01LS1, this was some very important information you shared, had No idea about Vail Pass. Googled it, saw pictures and said No way I am going there at this time of the year now that I didn’t have the option of replacing my tires while at OR.

@SLO, thank you so much for the offer, I just made up my mind that I am Not driving via Wyoming again during this time of the year with the performance tires.

@Need4Camaro And @R.C. Collins, this is exactly what I decided to do and did. Thank you so much for recommending this route. Went on I-5 all the way to Bakersfield, CA99 and I-15 to I-40, all the way to Albuquerque, joined I-25 North and back home. There was rain throughout OR and little bit of the initial part of CA but after that, dry, dry and dry all the way home.

It was exactly 2291 miles and 36 hours of driving to get back but was worth every mile of it since I avoided snow completely. Thank you for suggesting this route.

We Are Back Home, Thank God.

After I came back, I washed the car (it looked like a white car), then when I was waxing it, I noticed that my clear bra was completely destroyed on both sides (I have my entire car wrapped in clear bra). The rear area near the rear wheels, the doors and front fender below the line on the door exactly like what is described in this thread. It looked so ugly as if someone painted the lower part of my car white. Imagine what would have happened if I did Not have the clear bra, that would have been the end of my car's paint. This was the only good decision from me out of this whole thread.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=490621&page=6

I guess this is because of driving thousands of miles on Salt, Sand, Gravel, Rain and stuff. So this is what I had to do post my trip and that’s why the delay in sharing the update

1. Fixed appointment to replace the damaged area of the clear bra. Completed and it now looks brand new as if nothing happened.
2. Fixed an appointment for Oil change, multipoint inspection, pretty much to check everything and clean the engine bay since it had a white powdery coating, guess that was the salt so had to get that completely cleaned out.
3. Washed it again and waxed the brains out of it.
4. Oh, I have now kept the wheel lock nut safe in the trunk under the mats

Because of filling gas in so many places, both my credit card information was stolen in one of the gas stations and had fraud transactions on both cards so was getting those cards cancelled and getting new cards and stuff. What a crazy 2 weeks. From now on, have to yank at the card reader in the gas stations to ensure it is not tampered with.

All work done, baby is all shiny and is now resting in the Garage for the weekend. I would have usually taken it out especially on such beautiful sunny weekend but my baby deserves the rest after what I put her through.

Last edited by kkriskal; 02-04-2018 at 04:20 PM.
kkriskal is offline   Reply With Quote