Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #15
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
How can you tell how close a SC3 tire is to cording before it actually cords?

I'm trying to plan ahead and figure out if I'm going to get a 5th track days out of these tires or not.... the track is tough on tires, lots of turns and cornering, not much straightaways.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
How can you tell how close a SC3 tire is to cording before it actually cords?

I'm trying to plan ahead and figure out if I'm going to get a 5th track days out of these tires or not.... the track is tough on tires, lots of turns and cornering, not much straightaways.
Good question, but one that doesn't have a reliable answer imo. If you cant see any cords (even tiny ones) on either edges of the tires, no reason not to continue tracking them (unless you are concerned with wet performance, but that's a different consideration). But check them after each run (a good idea regardless of tire age) and get a new set, as G3s seem hard to come by for some reason, at least in the East.

While some tracks are harder on tires vs others, note that tires undergo highest loads in fast sweepers. Quality of pavement also makes a big difference. Older tracks will be harder on tires, as asphalt wears out and pavement becomes more abrasive. Driver also makes a big difference re tire wear, if he/she slides the car much.
Finally, camber affects wear as well. Too little and outside will suffer more. Too much and the inside will.
A track friend with a ZL1 on brand new G3Rs killed his outside front in just over ONE DAY right down to steel carcass (which was shooting sparks!), last weekend with 3++ camber (cant recall exact spec, but it was tons).

So, no precise answer, as i am not aware of one, but some food for thought. Cheers
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
If they don't look close to this you are good to go
Attached Images

TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Grip will start to fall off slightly after 15-20 heat cycles and wear. My lap times drop 2-3 seconds before they start to cord. Corner exit traction starts to go first.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #19
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Grip will start to fall off slightly after 15-20 heat cycles and wear. My lap times drop 2-3 seconds before they start to cord. Corner exit traction starts to go first.
Thats because you have 650hp and tq LOL
My laptimes fall off slightly but still within 1 second on a 2+ min lap. G3s are a stout tire. Perhaps G3Rs fall off more?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #20
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated, learning lots!

Tags
heat cycle, sc3, tire, track