Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #29
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Lowered the top a total of three times since I got it back 4 days ago and the third time (today) I noticed that its broken again
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #30
Ctrev21

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Convertible
Well crap....like I said, shit designers. Panel is way to thin to handle all the pressure from that roll tension spring. Hope this becomes a recall issue and a totally new (Beefier) part is designed to replace these weak ass OEM ones.
Ctrev21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #31
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
They would have been better off to have hinged the tonneau cover and eliminated all that unnecessary complex moving crap.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #32
somedude

@ Ctrev21:

I am sure hoping that it will be recalled and an improved replacement part would be made.

Also to clarify my previous post, the first one replaced was the driver/left side and today the passenger/right side was replaces under warranty.

GM Part # 84397869

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-84397869.html

Last edited by somedude; 08-23-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #33
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
The flap on my driver side does not close when the top goes down. It did not have any spring load behind it when I compared it with the passenger side. It retracts ok when the top goes back up. When I looked inside the assembly I can see the whole spring mechanism is missing. It must have fallen down somewhere inside.

Poor design. Taking it back to the dealer.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #34
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
I pick mine up tomorrow.

3 weeks in the shop.

Now I fear water leakage and thudding I have read around here.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #35
somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
I pick mine up tomorrow.

3 weeks in the shop.

Now I fear water leakage and thudding I have read around here.
Wow 3 weeks! sorry about your trouble but thank you for the updates, I am sure it will help others out in the future. Please keep us updated
Old 08-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #36
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Overall pretty remarkable experience today.

Got the vehicle back after 3 weeks. New top installed. Other issues included the popped panel.

First thing I did was lower the top. As it lowered, on the driver's side, heard a knocking noise. This was in the presence of the service guy. I asked if that is fine. He said he didn't know.

I have a feeling it is a matter of time before I will have to get this back to a dealer to fix.

I have the wind screen, I have yet to install it, so I asked them if they could show me.

The service guy and me attempted to get it in, but it is far too large. So he called a tech over and they took the car to see if they could get it in with special tools.

Service guy comes back and says that he wanted to inform that if they do it, it will scrape the panels, am I ok with that? No, of course not.

I asked is there an issue with the panels or the wind screen itself? He has no idea.

3 months of ownership, less than 1000 miles and treated like garbage by this dealership. Never have I had such an experience.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #37
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
Yep. This is a known problem and there was another thread on this very thing. I saw it happening on the passenger side after reading the thread so I took it in to be fixed as a recall item. Since then, it has been perfect.

When I took it in, to make sure it didn't cause a problem (like yours), the mechanic ripped off the part that slides in...he said that would prevent any damage until the parts came in. . .and he was right.
Had this happen back in Jan. of 2017 after I had my 16 for about 3 months. This is my original thread, https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483973 Took dealership and GM another 2 months to finally fix it. Happy to report that the replacement part failed today after 18 months. Going to be getting back on the merry-go-round which should be fun since the dealership has changed hands since the initial repair. I doubt anyone one there knows what to do. Figure I might as well get it serviced for A8 shudder while they have it.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #38
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
My brother in law is the service manager at the Chevrolet dealer I use. He told me that these pieces can stand 0 weight being put on them. Garbage ass design.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #39
Breadzell

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
This happend to me the first 2 weeks that I had the car. They fixed it and haven’t had a problem since. Really poor design for such a great top. Word of advice. When the top is down and you go to lean into the car to get something make sure you don’t lean on that panel . Your hand will go right thorough.
Breadzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #40
SSaltlife

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible 6M
Top destroyed top 1/2 panel back seat area

Just had the same thing happen on Saturday. The interior top panel driver side rear popped out when raising the top! Dropped it off at the dealership again this morning. They fix one thing (last thing was the leak) and something else breaks. I am getting weary. All of the gremlins started when they had to replace the top due to the back window issue. I will keep everyone posted.
SSaltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #41
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Add me to the list after two years and 9+ months of ownership. I was putting the top up when I arrived at work this morning and started hearing some unusual popping noises. I looked over my shoulder and I see this rod/connecting arm sticking up through the hole that the retractable panel covers. I had to guide it in as I finished lowering the top. I believe it connects to the retractable panel, but I didn't have time to closely inspect it this morning. Anyone continue to drop their top after theirs broke until they got it fixed? Or should I not use my top until it's fixed?
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #42
Georgia Vert

Drives: 18 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible
I believe I have you all beat. Bought my car and drove it home from the lot with the top down. When I got home and put the top up I heard a loud pop. I did not know what it was, it was dark, but I knew that whatever it was it did not sound normal. The next day I put the top down and noticed the hole behind the driver's seat. The other side had a plastic cover so I knew something was not right. went to put the top back up and pow! Another loud sound so I put the top back down and called the dealership.

I was told to bring the car in immediately and not to put the top up, even though it looked like it was about to rain! When I got to the dealership they told me that I would have to leave the car with them and that it would be sitting outside WITH THE TOP DOWN while they waited on the parts to arrive! Keep in mind I had only had the car less than 24 hours at this point and it had less than 500 miles on it.

I demanded that they put the car inside or I would just drive the thing back home. They agreed and kept it for about two weeks. That was almost one year ago when that happened.

Yesterday me and the wifey went out to celebrate our anniversary and when we left the restaurant I dropped the top. I immediately noticed the hole again but this time it was on the passenger side. I slid the cover back into place and heard several small items fall down inside the car.

About to call the dealership now but this time I believe I will have them order the parts and call me when they arrive. May as well have them look at the transmission and rear end while it is there.

Other than that little issue I absolutely love this car!
Georgia Vert is offline   Reply With Quote