Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Used Audi S7 or Porsche Panamera 4S versus my Camaro

OK so long story short, I am getting close to selling my Camaro. I have a bunch of work into it including a ProCharger Stage 2 Motor at 535 whp, BMR Suspension, many other things.

It has been a hoot and a great 3 years of fun driving with it. However, my life has changed again. I got this car as kind of a mid-life-crisis in order to have some fun life experiences after a really hard last 6 years as a Single-Only-Parent (Wife left totally left us) and Caregiver to my mom (who had health issues at the time). It was my chance to have a bit of fun after a long personal journey.

Anyways, life circumstances have changed. I am in a pretty serious relationship and likely to have another kid. Camaro was just fine with my little 10 year old but not with a newborn, my girl and my new S.O. Not to mention I daily drive this car for work and it has been hilariously impractical

I need something that is still fun (at least 400 hp preferably V8 or V6 Turbo) but more on the practical side. I'd also like AWD again. I just enjoy driving AWD better mostly because I was a WRX guy for like a decade. Before you mention the Chevy SS, yes it's awesome but I have sworn off GM products due to them black balling my car for all warranty service no matter what part.

So I have come down to the mid 2010s Audi S7 or Porsche Panamera 4S. Maybe BMW M5. I have even considered the Mercedes GLA 45 AMG (not 400 hp but similar acceleration due to weight).

Thoughts? Other ideas?
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Even the new M550 is an absolute beast and dynos way above what is claimed, that would be my value pick if you aren't looking for a more hardcore turning machine. That'll go fast in a straight line with turbos, AWD and massive torque, which seems to be what you are addicted to. I had a WRX too and although those were fast off the line due to 5K clutch-drops, you'll never match initial AWD acceleration when bundled with tons of torque. A Camaro, all V8 varieties, will keep pulling at higher (extremely illegal) speeds, but down low, you'll do better IME with AWD and a good turbo engine with lots of torque at low RPM. M550 is a value leader IMO, equivalent to the S7, but any of these really with their max-torque at ~1500-1700 and AWD systems will go like they got kicked in the rear by god.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
X5M or X6M would be my first choice. Others include CTS-V, M5, Charger Hellcat. Whatever you get, don't pick anything under 400 HP minimum.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
We own a CLA 45AMG and it is a fine car. The GLA would give you a bit more room and practicality. One spot is the maintenance costs. ~$700 for routine oil change is the norm. It may only be once a year, but that is a real number. The good news is that with any new AMG product you buy, you get the AMG Driving Experience (one seat). That is a way cool perk.

The little 4 pot engine is the real deal. Horsepower sits at 410 for the new models (I think).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Those are all fine choices, but as with every 6 figure used car, have you thought about maintenance costs? Initial buy price of the car may be attractive, but maintenance can be a real expensive venture...
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
These may be below your target, but the Koreans make some decent cars these days...

Kia stinger GT AWD aint a bad choice for a reasonably priced midsize DD, but it’s under 400hp.

The Genesis G80 5.0 AWD is 420hp, but it’s more luxobarge than sports sedan at 4700 lbs.

Both are better cars than the nameplates suggest, and much easier on the wallet to own than German cars. I’ve owned two Genesis v8s. If you have the time, test drive them. You might be impressed.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
These may be below your target, but the Koreans make some decent cars these days...

Kia stinger GT AWD aint a bad choice for a reasonably priced midsize DD, but it’s under 400hp.

The Genesis G80 5.0 AWD is 420hp, but it’s more luxobarge than sports sedan at 4700 lbs.

Both are better cars than the nameplates suggest, and much easier on the wallet to own than German cars. I’ve owned two Genesis v8s. If you have the time, test drive them. You might be impressed.
These....as well as what Blaqwhole mentioned...the Hellcat Charger

Even a Scatpack Charger is 480hp...and they have good deals usually on those..
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I have a Panamera S and it is a pure joy to drive - especially on a long road trip. Mine has the 400hp V8. Shares the garage with my 2016 SS Convertible w/ 6MT. I would recommend looking for a GTS from 2013-2015 and find one as a CPO if at all possible Very solid cars - shouldn't have trouble with the engine / trans. Things like suspension bushings wear out quickly. Electronics are always a gamble with the Germans. Mine has been solid so far. Owned 14 months and mine is a CPO car.

I would personally not touch a BMW M car with the turbo V8. Those engines have serious issues and they can be very expensive issues. I don't trust them at all - not reliable issues. If you want that kind of power get a Panamera Turbo or a Hellcat or even SRT392 if you can handle the low rent interior. Those cars are quite nice driving cars and the powertrain is outstanding. Interior is pretty meh - I could maybe live with it, but would be tough after a bunch of BMW's and now the Porsche.

Best compromise in a true performance sedan with a quality interior is gen2 CTSV. Prices reflect this however. You can get a brand new SRT392 Scat Pack charger or a 5 year old CTSV with 50K miles on it for low to mid $30Ks
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote