Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #29
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
I'm not crazy about the satin black hood in any color except black,
You probably know this but just peel it off.
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #30
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
I was in the same quandary as the OP, but I agree with what most are saying, for a daily driver (in nice weather, assuming that's what are using the car for), the SS makes more sense. I'm not crazy about the satin black hood in any color except black, the wider tires are just more $$$ (and I'll probably put all-seasons on it anyway, living in NC where I can drive this car 11 months out of the year or better), and the firmer suspension won't make much of a difference unless you have access to mountain roads. Less wheel gap in a nice plus but easily done with regular SS. The claimed 3 sec per lap advantage of the ILE is all in the tires and suspension - I believe the brakes are similar just painted red?
The brakes are not the same as the standard SS brakes. I believe they are the upgraded brakes option which you can get as an LPO option on the standard SS car.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #31
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
This gives me a little more insight. My suggestion is the 2SS. You won't be tracking the car so no real need for the eDiff on the street. Both cars have the same engine and HP. Same manual transmission and better mileage on the 2SS because of rear gearing. An automatic transmission is an option on the 2SS only. The 2SS will be a plusher version of the two models. A plus with women and dating. If you like the 1LE wheels and tires they can be bought through vendors on this site. Most people will not be able to tell the difference between the two. So my opinion is a 2SS with mag ride and NPP. No matter what you decide, enjoy your new car.
Yes! Most ladies like this car. My better half likes the snow and ice mode with a nicer ride and a hushed NPP exhaust. After all the loud 4th and 5th gens she actually likes riding and driving in the '16 SS as much as my last 335i M6 Sport BMW. The Camaro is more fun with the driving options and handles even better. And if anything is more of a sports car than the Beemer.

I would not mind a 1LE myself, but I would miss the sunroof, stereo, Nav, lane warnings, cooled and heated seats and the upgraded Mylink. But I do prefer cloth seats. After owning a ZL1 with Recaros, no thanks.

But if you are a track rat the 1LE is the way to go for the money. On the street there is no advantage to the 1LE over the SS. If you are driving at the limit of a 1LE on the street, you are part of Natural Selection at work. But please don't take any one else with you.

In the 5th gen cars this was not the case. The 1LE was a big step up in handling and the 1LE was more fun to drive. But you did pay some penalties for this fun.

OP, one thing you should know about the SS 1LEs and the 5th gen Zl1. Do not drive aggressively when its under 50 degress. The 5th gen Goodyears were like driving on a wet road when cold. That And below freezing the tires can crack. Once that happens get new ones. We don't know for sure about the new SS 1LE but with Goodyear tires targeted at the track again don't expect good performance out of them without warming them up. And oddly they are awful at drag racing. I can cut better 60's on Pirellis (5th gen) and on the new runflats.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #32
fzr100098
Banned

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
The brakes are not the same as the standard SS brakes. I believe they are the upgraded brakes option which you can get as an LPO option on the standard SS car.
You're right, it does have the six piston calipers - nice upgrade but probably not much of an advantage on the street

6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
Magnetic Ride Control
Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
Dual mode exhaust system
Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
Available PDR video/data recording system.

With nicely optioned leftover '16 2SSs selling below $40k now, expect a $6k premium
fzr100098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #33
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I think you would notice the sharper turn-in on the street but that's about it.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #34
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
1le is a waste of money if you don't track.
Nothing could be further form the truth! NOTHING!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #35
gajagfan

I would only wish that the NPP was not mandatory on the 17 1LE's. We searched a long time for a non-NPP 13 1LE, and finally ended up ordering one.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #36
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I think you would notice the sharper turn-in on the street but that's about it.
I don't think so. I can't think of anywhere on the street I've EVER had my car anywhere near track limits. Turning on the street is not the same as a "turn in" at the track. The gen6 supposedly has the same capability as the Gen 5 1LE (I havent driven one personally but others that track have confirmed this.) The only thing you might experience on the street that compares to the track at all is if you need to do last second emergency braking.

As far as the 1LE being a waste of money if you don't track that's up to the buyer. Lots of people own cars that they will never ever ever use at it's limit (most Corvette owners for instance) it doesn't mean its a waste of money. It's just the car that person wanted.

The Truth is though that most of the track upgrades that the 1LE has will not be noticed nor be able to be taken advantage of on the street. Unless you are driving like a complete jackass.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #37
fzr100098
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Nothing could be further form the truth! NOTHING!
Because you can push the standard SS to its limits on the street right?

If you're driving on mountain roads regularly the 1LE has an advantage - going back and forth to work or going to the grocery store, no

I've seen this same argument for sport bikes
Old 08-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #38
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
You can drive aggressively just fine on the 2SS. It's capabilities will not be reached on the street at all.

You cannot heat/cool your ass, monitor your blind spots and listen to the bose stereo in the 1LE.

Sincerely,

Captain Obvious
This said it all for me
Attached Images

avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #39
fzr100098
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
The Truth is though that most of the track upgrades that the 1LE has will not be noticed nor be able to be taken advantage of on the street. Unless you are driving like a complete jackass.
Yes.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #40
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I don't think so. I can't think of anywhere on the street I've EVER had my car anywhere near track limits. Turning on the street is not the same as a "turn in" at the track. The gen6 supposedly has the same capability as the Gen 5 1LE (I havent driven one personally but others that track have confirmed this.) The only thing you might experience on the street that compares to the track at all is if you need to do last second emergency braking.

As far as the 1LE being a waste of money if you don't track that's up to the buyer. Lots of people own cars that they will never ever ever use at it's limit (most Corvette owners for instance) it doesn't mean its a waste of money. It's just the car that person wanted.

Would you not notice a thing if you put coilovers or stiffer springs or fatter sway bars or wider wheels/tires on your car? I certainly do.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #41
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I would only wish that the NPP was not mandatory on the 17 1LE's. We searched a long time for a non-NPP 13 1LE, and finally ended up ordering one.
Is this because you plan on doing a aftermarket headers/exhaust system and just don't want to pay for the dual mode exhaust?
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #42
gajagfan

Quote:
Because you can push the standard SS to its limits on the street right?

If you're driving on mountain roads regularly the 1LE has an advantage - going back and forth to work or going to the grocery store, no

I've seen this same argument for sport bikes
I should probably preface all my comments with the statement that I have not ever driven a 2016 SS Camaro, and am basing my opinion on the difference between the Gen 5 SS (a car which I investigated and would not by because I was not impressed with) and the Gen 5 1LE.

We did live in the North GA mountains for many years and enjoyed my 40 mile drive to work and back through them every day for almost 15 years, but that was prior to the 1LE. Having returned numerous times, it has been a joy to go "play" on those roads.

We now live in the flat coastal areas of the state, and there are not many places to enjoy the car as we would have had back in the mountains, but there are a few. When the opportunity affords itself to use the car as hard as one can, it is quite great, and much more fun than the '01 WS6 that it replaced. I am sure many will deem me a an "ass" for doing so, but the car has been in plenty of 4 wheel drifts pushing out of corners when no one was around and comparable safe speeds through given on ramps and such between the WS6 and the 1LE are drastically different. Is the capability of the 1LE (or any car) exploited on a daily bases, no its not. Are the times you can spread it's wings a bit an let it go worth having it, by all means. I find much more enjoyment out of pushing the better handling we have in our car than the feel of cold air blowing up my ass (though the wife's Avalanche has it, and that is nice). Finally, as we get closer to having the 1LE paid off, it will join it's big block '69 brother as a track toy (road track not drag strip), and it's a very nice platform to build off of, or for that matter, enjoy as is.

Anyway, that's my take on why I think it is well worth having the 1LE package and it is very enjoyable on the street. I wait to see the VIR numbers for the 2017 1LE and consider it a possible next car (though the new Grand Cport C7 Vette may be just what the doctor ordered). I will admit that I was a bit shocked by the reduced skid pad and breaking numbers of the Gen 6 vs. the Gen 5. You obviously see things differently, and that's cool. Maybe my judgement is off since i am getting older (almost 50)!

PS: I think the sport bike argument holds true in the same way, so you probably will not agree with me, and it could be that we just don't hold those brief moments of safely pushing the car / bike equally as important.