Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Rexracer

Drives: Chevy Corvette
Which Camaro

First post, been looking all over the internet trying to get some insight.

So I currently Auto-X my 92 Corvette (383 strocker/450hp), in CAM-S due to all the mods that came with the car. This is my first year "being serious" about it. I am targeting going to Nationals next year, and know this car would be back of the pack in the very stout CAM-S class. Even locally I am getting beat by CAM-C guys due to PAX. At the last event I BEAT a NEW ZL1-1LE in RAW time, but with his PAX advantage, he beat me.

So the question, I have been toying with dropping my daily driver (as the kids are out of rear facing car seats), and the Vette, in favor of a do it all Camaro. After seeing the GM guys WIN CAM-C with a 2.0-1le, and Mark Scroggs DS exploits, I am very interested.

As a car, the desire of course is the V8-1LE, but when looking at classing that may not be the best choice. I love the idea of the V6-1le, and again, not sure classing makes sense. I also don't have limitless budget, so cheaper is better.

Options:
DS-PAX-0.8- most basic 2.0 - seen new left over 18s as low as 16-17k
BS-PAX-0.810 - SS - 1LE - 35k'ish for a lightly used..
FS-PAX-0.803 - V6 - 1LE - 25k for lightly used
for reference CAM-S-PAX 0.833 current car

So what I am eyeing, the 2.0-1LE STAYS in DS (at least for now), BUT they look like they are going for 25-26k. At that price I could get a V6, but puts me in FS. The biggest downside of the 2.0 is lack of power (and sound) compared to my Vette, but it COULD be tuned and be in the 350 range fairly cheaply (then just run for fun in CAM-S), the V6 doesn't have that option.

So is the 1LE going to help that much for auto-x? I would do some track days etc, so the coolers are a nice addition. The biggest advantage I see of the 1le compared to what Mark Scroggs is running in DS is the larger wheels. He is cramming 275s on a 7.5" wheel. The 1le has 8.5 and 9.5s, so using the same strategy, could cram 285/30R19s up front and 305/30R19 in the rear (RE-71s). Remember you can go up/down 1" from stock, but must keep the same width.

The problem with the 2.0 - 1LE is the 8k premium price (new this year, no used out there), and is the suspension going to make it less comfortable as a daily driver?

Anyone one here actually Auto-x'ing the 2.0-1LE?
Rexracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I know someone here did really well autocrossing with a 2.0, can't remember the thread but it had a ton of information.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Rexracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I know someone here did really well autocrossing with a 2.0, can't remember the thread but it had a ton of information.
Yes thats Mark Scroggs I referenced, here is the thread.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477232
Old 07-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Personally if I were you I would go with the 2.0 1LE. I don't really see it getting moved out of D Street, which is great for that car but bad for the people with "regular" 2.0s of course. I would say the extra price for the 1LE is 1000% worth it, with the extra coolers, better brakes, and potential for more rubber.

In a perfect world I'd say get the SS 1LE whatever it takes, but if your budget doesn't allow for that and your focus is Autocross my ranking would be: 1. 2.0 1LE, 2. base 2.0, 3. V6 1LE.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexracer View Post
Yes thats Mark Scroggs I referenced, here is the thread.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477232

Here is another thread that might help with your decision. I remember reading that Mark didn't think the 1LE bits were necessarily a good thing but he chimes in here last month on the subject.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556863
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im thinking the SS1LE would probably go through the consumables(brakes,tires,etc.) a little quicker than the lighter 2.0T,and as you stated the 2.0 would be easier to tune for more power than the V6!LE.if some degree of practicality is wanted id go with the 2.0.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
Rexracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
Here is another thread that might help with your decision. I remember reading that Mark didn't think the 1LE bits were necessarily a good thing but he chimes in here last month on the subject.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556863
THIS was what I had been searching for.

So I am still in the "do a 2.0 LS for 17k (and add good shocks) or 2.0 1LE and accept as is".

The cheaper LS would be good to be able to run 17 or 18 tires in a square setup. Seems like the added width the 1le rear wouldn't be an advantage.

The coolers/brakes/appearance all are good with the 1le, but not a help for autocross.

In my mind, the break down in priority:

Autocross - 55%
Daily driver - 40%
track/fun - 5%

So the LS would probably be a little bit of an advantage over the 1le in DD duty, but lower in track/fun car.

If I wait till January/February, the 2020 models may push the 1le 2019s down enough that there isn't a $8k delta.

The important thing I am seeing, no one is pushing for the V6 1LE given my criteria.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
You BEAT a driver of a ZLE, not the car...
Old 07-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
Rexracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
You BEAT a driver of a ZLE, not the car...
Yes exactly, this was just a little personal victory, as the ZLE is such a capable car, especially on the large course we were running. He co drove with a previous FS champion, and that driver was 3-4 seconds faster then the owner of the car that I out raw timed.