Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Installed MBRB, Exhaust Rattle Gone

I installed an axle back MBRP (SST) on my 2016 V6. I choose this exhaust system as I liked the sound from the videos I listened to and liked the idea that the pipes were straight through without mufflers with the sound chambers off to the side. I installed a similar system on my past 2016 Miata and it was awesome. It was easy and straight forward. I jacked up the rear of the car, put it on jack stands- I did not even need to get it that high- maybe 8”. The directions were clear and straight forward. I first cut the 2 pipes leading to the stock muffler right where the directions indicated. My tail pipe cut off tool came in real handy here and did not have to use the sawzall. I end up with nice, clean and straight cuts. I then removed the stock muffler, hand filed the two cut pipes on the car to remove burrs and sharp edges, then just assembled the MBRP system using the stock mounts including the nice 4” polished tips. Everything fit together very well. I left the clamps loose, was able to slide the pipes backward or forward, rotated and aligned to get the best fit and the tips where I wanted them, then tightened the clamps. Took me about 2 hours total from start. It came out perfect and looks great. The tips are nicely centered and you can adjust them to where you want them in and out. The sound is awesome. It is quieter than I expected overall but has a very nice aggressive howl from 4K RPM, up and there is no drone at all. There is a very nice quiet popping sound when you decelerate too. The throttle seems more responsive, especially starting off and at low RPM.

Also, my car had a very annoying exhaust rattle at start up when cold that lasted about 15-20 seconds then would go away. I read deep into the forums and from the reads it seemed that the shielding some where was rattling of there were poor welds where the exhaust went two into one. My shields all seemed fine, no rattling and the welds on the outside looked fine. To me the rattling seemed to be coming from inside the rear muffler. Removing it and installing the MBRP confirmed it was the culprit. No more rattling- there was probably a bad weld or something loose inside the rear muffler. Overall I love the MBRP system and I highly recommend it for the V6- unless you want something really loud. In my opinion the car should have came this way from the factory.