Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
gaulstone

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Trifecta Tune - NO TCM UNLOCK REQUIRED FOR '17 CAMARO??

I have been doing alot of research on how to get a better transmission feel; so I went with the quick fix of a throttle controller. However 6 months in I got the dreaded reduced engine power from my Vitesse TC on my 2017 1LT. So I figured its time to tune this puppy.

I reached out to Trifecta on their Camaro LGX tune and saw that they can tune the TCM of the '17 models, however I was confused because the TCM is encrypted by GM on my model, or as least I had thought. They say they are the ONLY company to offer tuning for the 17's without having to unlock the TCM by HP tuners. I have included the message below; anyone else have a '17 with a Trifecta tune that can verify or debunk this? Would hate to drop a lump of money and have to send the TCU out anyway.

Thanks for any help in advance y'all

*Currently figuring out how to post a picture gimme a few*
Screw it posting the link to the conversation I had with Trifecta on their facebook page
https://imgur.com/a/j0MO2Pt
gaulstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
sadboyleo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
17 and 18s need to be unlocked so im not sure about that. I would get the overkill tune for the LGX. You get free re tunes for future mods and amazing community!
sadboyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it's possible that when you see wording about no tcm unlock needed, that just means they're not providing you with the TCM tune. Just the ECU tune.

Honestly, that pretty much defeats the purpose of the tune though. Altering the transmission is one of the biggest changes to the behavior of the vehicle and absolutely necessary in correcting some of the more noticeable issues with the car.

I would not pay money for a tune that doesn't fix the shift points and alter the tcm.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
gaulstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
it's possible that when you see wording about no tcm unlock needed, that just means they're not providing you with the TCM tune. Just the ECU tune.

Honestly, that pretty much defeats the purpose of the tune though. Altering the transmission is one of the biggest changes to the behavior of the vehicle and absolutely necessary in correcting some of the more noticeable issues with the car.

I would not pay money for a tune that doesn't fix the shift points and alter the tcm.
Here is my issue with their wording though:
"We're the only company to offer tuning for the T87A transmission controller thats found in all 2017+ and some 2016 models... Both require unlocking, which we do as part of the tuning, via a software solution."

And on the website:
-Supplementary 8L45 transmission TCM reprogramming compliments the ECM reprogramming and completes the TRIFECTA Powertrain Calibration: designed to work in unison with the ECM reprogramming for optimized performance

See my confusion here?

Last edited by gaulstone; 04-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
gaulstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboyleo View Post
17 and 18s need to be unlocked so im not sure about that. I would get the overkill tune for the LGX. You get free re tunes for future mods and amazing community!
Me either; currently I have a borla atak axleback and an airaid intake tube with the filter for cost efficiency and I dont plan on adding much more; I love the power as is now just need it to feel smoother.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaulstone View Post
Here is my issue with their wording though:
"We're the only company to offer tuning for the T87A transmission controller thats found in all 2017+ and some 2016 models... Both require unlocking, which we do as part of the tuning, via a software solution."

See my confusion here?
Instead of making a post and just guessing why not call or email trifecta directly and ask them to clarify?
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
gaulstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Instead of making a post and just guessing why not call or email trifecta directly and ask them to clarify?
ok captain hindsight, they have no phone number and I reached out to Trifecta directly on their page, I'm trying to see if anyone here has done it for clarification
Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
cellsafemode

hrm.. would be pretty neat if they managed to find a way to unlock the tcm without needing to mail the unit in.

Kinda makes you wonder what the hell HP tuners is paying their people to do that they're supposedly so much better but unaware of this method.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
gaulstone

Quote:
hrm.. would be pretty neat if they managed to find a way to unlock the tcm without needing to mail the unit in.

Kinda makes you wonder what the hell HP tuners is paying their people to do that they're supposedly so much better but unaware of this method.
I agree and here is there response to my question of if BOTH the ECU and TCU are modified:

"Hello. I believe we've answered that question several times 😉
Both engine and transmission are calibrated. Not much more we can say about that."

Man they are being difficult lol but I might just have to be the test dummy for the forum and bite the bullet
Old 04-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
cellsafemode

well, it's pretty clear that they're saying they dont need to have physical access to the TCM to program it ....so they know of an exploit to bypass the security or they use a method that mimics the mail-in physical process remotely using their hardware dongle and your laptop.

If i was paying for HP tuners I'd be pissed that such an option exists and i'm still being forced to use a much more expensive obsolete method.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
well, it's pretty clear that they're saying they dont need to have physical access to the TCM to program it ....so they know of an exploit to bypass the security or they use a method that mimics the mail-in physical process remotely using their hardware dongle and your laptop.

If i was paying for HP tuners I'd be pissed that such an option exists and i'm still being forced to use a much more expensive obsolete method.
Or they are using a piggyback method to manipulate the signals to the trans instead of actually changing the tune. If that's the case I'd stay way away from the trifecta tune.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Or they are using a piggyback method to manipulate the signals to the trans instead of actually changing the tune. If that's the case I'd stay way away from the trifecta tune.
I wouldn't throw out allegations like that without some evidence, just outta respect for the company. That is equating Trifecta's TCM tune to an eBay chiptune.

I would either get an answer from Trifecta or be wary of it and ask enough questions during the tuning process to get a full understanding of the process. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #13
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
I have a trifecta tune on my 16rs and I love it. Are used JMS throttle controller alone before that wish I felt was much better quality then the V. haven't been there almost 2 years with no errors at all. I just recently bit the bullet and put the differential from a 2018 2.0 turbo manual Camaro in. The RS comes with a 2:77 gear ratio open diff. The 2.0 has 3:23 limited slip differential and much thicker axles that fits right in. I used to run my throttle controller at about 50 to 60% daily I now run it at about 10 maybe 20% if I'm running hard. But yours do all the work. Actually did it to take a little pop in and out of the car because it's so quick. Funniest thing is is I didn't lose any top-end but gained all of the bottom end and I still get 20 miles to a gallon. A++ Chevrolet!!
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaulstone View Post
I agree and here is there response to my question of if BOTH the ECU and TCU are modified:

"Hello. I believe we've answered that question several times 😉
Both engine and transmission are calibrated. Not much more we can say about that."

Man they are being difficult lol but I might just have to be the test dummy for the forum and bite the bullet
They don't seem to want to be very transparent. Pretty simple question I would think and both engine and tranmission are calibrated is very vague there are trans things in the engine tune itself but not any of the good stuff to wake it up.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote