Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #43
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Here's what I've learned through personal experience. If your particular vehicle makes more power from added timing that 93 octane can't provide, then yes added octane will make a difference. Of course you will need to tune for it to take full advantage. Say for example you are at 26 degrees of timing on 93 octane, but add 2 degrees and still make the same power. Then adding more octane and timing won't help much (except for allowing less timing to be pulled under certain circumstances) because your particular setup was pretty much optimized on 93 to begin with. Some setups can reach their max performance on 93 without the need for higher octane, and without fear of knock. It really just depends. Of course the higher octane can provide a bit of a safety net, but that's not the same thing
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #44
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
The OEM tune is calibrated for 93-octane (it says it right in the manual), so people on 91 will likely be getting some knock and lose power through the PCM pulling advance.
While it does imply this, it does not state it (that I can find). It also explicitly states that the 6.2L non-SC engine can use fuel with an octane rating as low as 87 and the SC engine can use fuel with an octane rating as low as 91.

Quote:
MMT is the additive that gives the fuel it's knock resistance (very simply). If the product has enough MMT to be effective (i.e. Race-gas, Boostane, Torco), then you'll likely be getting the orange soot. If it doesn't have MMT, it probably is not really going to effect your octane much, if anything. MMT, apparently, also is what kills sensors and emissions devices. The products I listed above all have higher MMT-content than most other products claiming to increase octane, and there are other product lines, within these brands, which have even higher MMT-content, allowing more resistance. This additional MMT-is also why you won't find (not that I've seen anyways) statements saying these products are guaranteed not to impact emissions devices or anything. I'm fine with that. O2 sensors and even cats', are too big a deal to have to deal with replacing, IMO.
In the case of MMT, the owner's manual explicitly calls this out as a prohibited fuel additive to use in the car.

"Do not use fuels with any of the following conditions; doing so may damage the vehicle and void its warranty:

"Fuel containing metals such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT), which can damage the emissions control system and spark plugs."
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #45
Ryan_ZL1

Drives: 13 GM Sierra 6.2, 16 S550 Mustang
I can't speak for the ZL1 but Boostane works really well. I use it in my S550 Mustang. It has a Whipple. I run 1 psi more than what can be safely ran on straight pump gas. It ended up making 767whp. With a conservative 93 tune and 1 psi less it makes just under 700. The car doesn't have cats, but I've never had an issue with plugs or 02 sensors. I've beat on it for 2 years including the roadcourse and the car has been really reliable. I do turn the power down for the track but still run some Boostane just to ensure it doesn't get any knock with all the heat.
Ryan_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #46
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
I would like to carry a can or two of a good octane booster in case I am traveling and find out no 93 is available.
What do you guys recommend?
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #47
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
MMT is the additive that gives the fuel it's knock resistance (very simply). If the product has enough MMT to be effective (i.e. Race-gas, Boostane, Torco), then you'll likely be getting the orange soot. If it doesn't have MMT, it probably is not really going to effect your octane much, if anything. MMT, apparently, also is what kills sensors and emissions devices. The products I listed above all have higher MMT-content than most other products claiming to increase octane, and there are other product lines, within these brands, which have even higher MMT-content, allowing more resistance. This additional MMT-is also why you won't find (not that I've seen anyways) statements saying these products are guaranteed not to impact emissions devices or anything. I'm fine with that. O2 sensors and even cats', are too big a deal to have to deal with replacing, IMO.
Well, Race-gas at least claims zero harm to cats, O2 sensors and plugs. I am not qualified to judge whether this can be true, but their statements are unequivocal.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Well, Race-gas at least claims zero harm to cats, O2 sensors and plugs. I am not qualified to judge whether this can be true, but their statements are unequivocal.
I've read all of that, and am not arguing you point, however, if the higher levels of this additive were NOT a danger, why would GM call this out specifically in the manual? And if that isn't enough to think about, why do you think standard gasoline doesn't have a higher content of this additive?

I honestly don't know, but racecars don't have much emissions equipment, and three years of operation on street cars is less than the emissions warranty coverage (as far as I've seen in owners manuals) of many cars (I think I've seen something like 6-8 years of warranty coverage as required by federal laws or something). So I'm not sure 3-years is quite enough to guarantee there will be no issues for street cars.

Hey - do whatever you want. I'm not suggesting anyone NOT use these products. I do from time-to-time. It's your money, and I could give a toss what you do with it. I just suggest thinking a little critically and do a little research. This stuff seems to help with octane, but no one wants to guarantee anything will fail with use as of what I've seen up to now...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #49
Gus_Mahn

Drives: '16 ATS-V
ATS-V guys love Boostane. On Facebook one of the more known tuners remote tuned a 6M from 456WHP to 613WHP on a stock car with a lot Boostane. It was a Mustang Dyno and there were questions about correction factor, but the gains are still impressive.
Gus_Mahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #50
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Just say no. Tune for stock octane levels, and use a bit of unleaded race gas (mix) at track purely for safety and to avoid ecu knock retard if it is hot and you are running hard.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #51
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Just say no. Tune for stock octane levels, and use a bit of unleaded race gas (mix) at track purely for safety and to avoid ecu knock retard if it is hot and you are running hard.
That's what I do. I wouldn't tune based on it. Actually, when they tune for the cam and blower swap I will make sure it's only 93 in it. I may buy a 5gal drum of 100 for a track tune. The Boostane would just be my security blanket.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote