Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #15
Yessa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
You are lucky to be alive.
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #16
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I just watched some death wobble vids on YouTube.

Although somewhat similar in action, what cirpower and I experienced was much more violent than that. The front end shaking and steering wheel oscillation continued after the car was stopped at the same intensity as when it began.

The vibration (although then at a reduced intensity) continued after the engine was shut off for at least a minute. I got my head under the hood, I could see and literally feel (not crazy hot) the steering assist motor continuing to vibrate.

I believe that I saw a power steering overheat warning on the dash. It was difficult to tell in a 1.1+ G turn with the car violently shaking. I was braking from to around 45 then trail braking pre-apex in a very tight hairpin...
I almost dropped a deuce.

I put the car up on stands when I got home and pulled the undertray. All of the harnesses that have been questionable in TSBs were fine, as well as all of the connections to the steering assist motor.

I have not been able to reproduce the symptoms since, although I have been somewhat reluctant to push since the wobble happened.

It looks like a warrant claim may be my only resort. Not looking forward to that.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My original thread about two weeks ago;https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577118
Old 06-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #17
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Ive had death wobble in multiple Jeeps and if this car pulls that shit its gone lol.

Sorry you guys are having this problem and hope ya figure it out ASAP as it sounds quite inconvenient and dangerous.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #18
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Update: Took the car in to be looked at by my local dealer. They just called me and told me that they spoke to Chevrolet and it seems to be a common issue that they are aware of. They did an update of the power steering software and said that it will fix the issue...

Not really sure if that makes any sense and if Chevrolet knows about this issue, why aren't they updating the software on all cars?

cheers
cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #19
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Yep, if Chevy considers this an issue to the point of updating software for the steering, why isnt this a recall for it! Oh lets wait until their is a fatality or two from it, before we act on it.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #20
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Let's be very clear here, if this would have happened to me just 5 seconds later I would have hit the wall at 140 mph......

.... either the dealer did not get the issue right or Chevy really doesn't care that their 650hp car can loose steering every now and then. I do know at Mercedes it is standard procedure to connect the car to the factory computer at every service where it will update any relevant software, for sure updates to security relevant software....

I think the other member this happened to was on a spirited mountain drive and nearly lost the car on one of the corners.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
zain

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Thanks mate, I appreciate it, cooling ducts are ordered! However, I simply cannot understand that overheating would result in the issues that I experienced. If that steering lock up happens in the wrong place, it could be deadly. Surely they must have tested the part for what happens in case it overheats?
This needs a recall!
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:13 AM   #22
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
If it were me, I’d report it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #23
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
If it were me, I’d report it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

Yes always always report safety related incidents.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote