Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #57
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Should help for sure, i know my mamo made a world of difference. The stock throttle bodies are junk. At least in the SS there is a ridge and the blade doesn't clear that ridge until about 30% throttle. So it feels laggy at lower throttle positions.
Do you think it's mainly the TB or more how GM tunes these cars? I do see quite often where it's mentioned how crappy the Camaro TB is, but I wonder if it's actually similar in the Mustang and Challenger as well, only they have a more aggressive calibration. Know what I mean?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #58
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Do you think it's mainly the TB or more how GM tunes these cars? I do see quite often where it's mentioned how crappy the Camaro TB is, but I wonder if it's actually similar in the Mustang and Challenger as well, only they have a more aggressive calibration. Know what I mean?
Both, you can buy a throttle controller to help with that part, but it's really just telling the car it's getting a little more throttle than it actually is, and lessening the slight hesitation after the throttle is pushed. I've heard of them throwing codes, so i just give her a little more gas lol. I prefer not to go into limp mode.

Last edited by RyanR623; 06-24-2020 at 12:36 PM.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #59
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Both, you can buy a throttle controller to help with that part, but it's really just telling the car it's getting a little more throttle than it actually is, and lessening the slight hesitation after the throttle is pushed. I've heard of them throwing codes, so i just give her a little more gas lol. I prefer not to go into limp mode.
Nah I've tried throttle controllers in the past and really didn't care them either. Never had codes, but they just felt odd to me. Kind of hard to explain
Old 06-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #60
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
throttle body updates if they're doing what they should do, only really impact wot. Since the car commands torque and any change you make to how much torque a certain tb position allows based on the gear / pedal / etc ...will get learned and compensated for over time.

They tend not to do what they should do though and allow too much air for the "closed/0% throttle" states or the fuel pump can't provide enough fuel for the air coming in and that's what will throw codes.

Only ecu/trans tuning can deal with the light throttle hesitation you get at low speeds/stop->go fully.

I too prefer to stay away from throttle controllers due to quality concerns. But technically, they can't do anything you can't do yourself.

It's hard to say anything about the car - performance wise - is crappy considering the numbers it puts down stock and how it competes with other cars.

getting a 3000+lb car to 60 in mid 5 seconds without FI while that same car can get mid to high 30mpg highway at 80mph and it can handle turns is just simply beyond what was possible 20 years ago. The bar for "crappy" would have to be so high that it isn't really even relevant. It's not like the roads and what you're allowed to do on them have increased along with car performance. If anything, they've only gotten worse due to congestion and more traffic cops.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 06-24-2020 at 01:57 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #61
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Nah I've tried throttle controllers in the past and really didn't care them either. Never had codes, but they just felt odd to me. Kind of hard to explain
Fair enough, that plus the code issues and it sounds like you'll just stick with the throttle body lol. You'll be happy with it. Best part is, mamo and soler offer a money back guarantee, but you don't hear of anyone returning them...
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #62
cellsafemode

Quote:
Fair enough, that plus the code issues and it sounds like you'll just stick with the throttle body lol. You'll be happy with it. Best part is, mamo and soler offer a money back guarantee, but you don't hear of anyone returning them...

If you count the actual people responding on the solar thread at least, you can count the number of people who actually purchased on one hand and about half had poor performance (either codes thrown or just rough idling/ bouncy throttle /worse performance).

The money back guarantee is nice but just because you're not hearing people using it, doesn't mean they aren't. I mean it wouldn't make sense that those people who had problems are just living with them, but you dont hear about them having gotten corrected either.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #63
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Yep absolutely, their money back guarantee sounds pretty solid too. No hassels, stipulations, etc...
Old 06-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #64
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
If you count the actual people responding on the solar thread at least, you can count the number of people who actually purchased on one hand and about half had poor performance (either codes thrown or just rough idling/ bouncy throttle /worse performance).

The money back guarantee is nice but just because you're not hearing people using it, doesn't mean they aren't. I mean it wouldn't make sense that those people who had problems are just living with them, but you dont hear about them having gotten corrected either.

I just got done reading all the Soler threads on here, and from what I'm seeing is not nearly that many cars having issues. Maybe like 10% at best, and a good majority of those issues appear to be due to user error. That's just what I'm seeing. Plus it looks like Soler is bending over backwards to make it right, however it needs to be.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #65
cellsafemode

Quote:
I just got done reading all the Soler threads on here, and from what I'm seeing is not nearly that many cars having issues. Maybe like 10% at best, and a good majority of those issues appear to be due to user error. That's just what I'm seeing. Plus it looks like Soler is bending over backwards to make it right, however it needs to be.
i'm going by the thread they have in this forum, and it's closer to 60% of those who say they installed it having negative feedback...but that makes up about 5 or so people altogether. I'm not counting people who just chime in or say they're going to buy it...just the people that say they actually installed it.

I didn't see any other threads regarding the lgx tb for them.

BOYD3800SII - happy
ekone - negative - rough idle
RxSummit16 - happy - maybe negative bouncy throttle
Jvert18 - negative - threw codes
SoarinSnek - says they ordered but no response about installing
Old 06-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #66
HCI2000SS

Quote:
i'm going by the thread they have in this forum, and it's closer to 60% of those who say they installed it having negative feedback...but that makes up about 5 or so people altogether. I'm not counting people who just chime in or say they're going to buy it...just the people that say they actually installed it.

I didn't see any other threads regarding the lgx tb for them.
Gotcha. Yeah there are about 7 to 8 threads on here by Soler, but that's for all models of the Camaro of course. I know the one you are referring to.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #67
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Quote:
SoarinSnek - says they ordered but no response about installing
They sent a small letter on installation which I made a comment in the general forum about the key cover for door handle. I stopped the install and sending it back. I decided to wait a few years to save up for an SS.

I got like two camaro stuff I might sell cuz I'm not using them anymore, wanna keep the car stock and as valuable as possible.
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #68
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Guys, no business with a money-back warranty can run at 10% RMA, let alone 60%. Without money-back, a business could run for a couple of months, and then they'll be gone.

These days, with the transparency of social media platforms, everything comes to light. The best businesses and products out there with a statistically significant number of reviews always get between 5-15% bad reviews. But that is just the percent of bad reviews, which doesn't correspond (it is much higher) with the percent of actual quality scapes/issues out of all the units sold.

Why? Because, negative experiences are usually reported 100%, while positive experiences get shared only sometimes. It's human nature.

If all the positives experiences were expressed we should have thousands of good reviews adding all the forums we support. But there might be only a couple of hundreds that posted.

Anyway, don't let that stop you or scare you guys, here is a statistic with 100% certainty.

We have zero customers that weren't made whole, they either kept the TB b/c they liked it or had very penny back, including shipping.
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #69
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
They sent a small letter on installation which I made a comment in the general forum about the key cover for door handle. I stopped the install and sending it back. I decided to wait a few years to save up for an SS.

I got like two camaro stuff I might sell cuz I'm not using them anymore, wanna keep the car stock and as valuable as possible.
Well, a no-tune throttle body swap is specifically one of those reversible mods that anyone can enjoy without jeopardizing anything. It's not like your engine bay or the car as a whole will not have any blemish whatsoever when you trade it in later, assuming you actually do drive it of course...

As to what Mike said above, I'm one of their happy V8 customers, and the guy is old school in the best possible sense, putting customer satisfaction above all else. Soler is a "good old days" kind of business with a product that, at least in my case, fully delivered on its promise. I don't know about their LGX throttle body, but considering the research and the effort across the board, I'd be very surprised if it were "snake oil" or a flawed design.

Just my 2 cents'.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #70
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Well, a no-tune throttle body swap is specifically one of those reversible mods that anyone can enjoy without jeopardizing anything. It's not like your engine bay or the car as a whole will not have any blemish whatsoever when you trade it in later, assuming you actually do drive it of course...

As to what Mike said above, I'm one of their happy V8 customers, and the guy is old school in the best possible sense, putting customer satisfaction above all else. Soler is a "good old days" kind of business with a product that, at least in my case, fully delivered on its promise. I don't know about their LGX throttle body, but considering the research and the effort across the board, I'd be very surprised if it were "snake oil" or a flawed design.

Just my 2 cents'.
I have to send it back because there's repairs needing in my car that's gonna cost thousands that I rather not worry about anymore. There's too many problems and I simply just dont care anymore. Some dealers I go to will not fix the problems (that are under warranty) I rather not deal with the frustration anymore. I'm like the laughing stock up here because I'm brand new so I rather just be that member at this point.
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote