Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-17-2024, 03:38 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
The Ultimate Anti-Theft Hack!!?? **I SURRENDER!!!**

I just saw a video yesterday about how to change your standard push button start to a ZL1 button (don't know what the difference is, but regardless ...)

What if you pulled the button from the dash, and cut ONE wire to put in a switch that you could relocate to a nice hidden spot. Then even with a code or fob, the button would NOT start the car ...

Yes, there is a decent bit of disassembly that needs done, but it's all done while sitting in the driver's seat - no crazy stretching, or inhuman contortions required. Plus, I believe it's a lot less risky than tapping or splicing into a fuse or circuit for one of the car's functions.

What does everyone think?

UPDATE
Well, I downloaded the Factory Service Manual, had all the tools and supplies ready, and .... it won't work (at least for me and my level of patience).

It seems my car DOESN'T WANT a kill switch. After studying the FSM, I thought I knew what I was doing, but it seems the car has quadruple-redundancy, as nothing happened, as in: The car started and ran fine, no matter which wire was disconnected.

It seems for this to work, I'd have to eliminate the button (cut ALL the wires and set up an entire bank of switches) to disable it.

So I guess if my car is meant to be stolen, so be it.

BTW, disassembly and even getting to the wiring harness (even though there's not a lot of slack) was fast & easy ... for what it's worth

Changing your starter button

Last edited by DonM; 03-17-2024 at 01:34 PM.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:51 AM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I can’t see why that wouldn’t work, here is a fancier version of a Killswitch That I’m thinking about getting.

https://lockdownsecuritycanada.ca/co...on-immobilizer
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:51 PM   #3
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I just saw a video yesterday about how to change your standard push button start to a ZL1 button (don't know what the difference is, but regardless ...)

What if you pulled the button from the dash, and cut ONE wire to put in a switch that you could relocate to a nice hidden spot. Then even with a code or fob, the button would NOT start the car ...

Yes, there is a decent bit of disassembly that needs done, but it's all done while sitting in the driver's seat - no crazy stretching, or inhuman contortions required. Plus, I believe it's a lot less risky than tapping or splicing into a fuse or circuit for one of the car's functions.

What does everyone think?

UPDATE
Well, I downloaded the Factory Service Manual, had all the tools and supplies ready, and .... it won't work (at least for me and my level of patience).

It seems my car DOESN'T WANT a kill switch. After studying the FSM, I thought I knew what I was doing, but it seems the car has quadruple-redundancy, as nothing happened, as in: The car started and ran fine, no matter which wire was disconnected.

It seems for this to work, I'd have to eliminate the button (cut ALL the wires and set up an entire bank of switches) to disable it.

So I guess if my car is meant to be stolen, so be it.

BTW, disassembly and even getting to the wiring harness (even though there's not a lot of slack) was fast & easy ... for what it's worth

Changing your starter button
I think you would have to disable two or three of the wires, according to the installation instructions of the disabler I was looking at.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I think you would have to disable two or three of the wires, according to the installation instructions of the disabler I was looking at.
I was cruising YouTube just now and stumbled across a video by Scotty Kilmer (yes, he's annoying as hell, but THIS time ...).

He was demonstrating an Australian anti-theft device, that really looks interesting. It's a fully automatic starter disabler that requires a minimum of 1 button and a maximum of 3 buttons (that have to be pressed in a specific sequence YOU chose), before even you can start the car, and you have to start the car within about 20 seconds of pushing the button(s) or the system re-arms and the car won't start. It costs about $60 US

Starter-Stopper
Old 03-17-2024, 05:18 PM   #5
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I was cruising YouTube just now and stumbled across a video by Scotty Kilmer (yes, he's annoying as hell, but THIS time ...).

He was demonstrating an Australian anti-theft device, that really looks interesting. It's a fully automatic starter disabler that requires a minimum of 1 button and a maximum of 3 buttons (that have to be pressed in a specific sequence YOU chose), before even you can start the car, and you have to start the car within about 20 seconds of pushing the button(s) or the system re-arms and the car won't start. It costs about $60 US

Starter-Stopper
The Keetec system looks promising. It’s a proximity remote and if you want to use all your normal functions, you simply leave it in your glove box or centre consul and then when you want to disable the car take it with you. It Disables the starter button and or the OBD two port.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:53 PM   #6
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Curious, do people just discount Igla because of the price (~$1200) ?

It literally seems like a no-brainer solution.

No PIN code, car will not start (unless they actually find the unit, and reverse it...), or flat-bed / tow it away. Then it doesn't matter what you have.

That said, I still think layering is important, so I'm probably going to just get a 6 PIN molex connector (not ODB2 type) and cut the wires, splice it and remove it the ODB2 connector, but it'll be easy to re-connect and plug back in if I need to.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:02 PM   #7
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Curious, do people just discount Igla because of the price (~$1200) ?

It literally seems like a no-brainer solution.

No PIN code, car will not start (unless they actually find the unit, and reverse it...), or flat-bed / tow it away. Then it doesn't matter what you have.

That said, I still think layering is important, so I'm probably going to just get a 6 PIN molex connector (not ODB2 type) and cut the wires, splice it and remove it the ODB2 connector, but it'll be easy to re-connect and plug back in if I need to.
I’m not sure, the system I am referring to is European, so they are way ahead of the game on theft when it comes to cars in my opinion. And they want to sell it at a reasonable price.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:38 PM   #8
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
I just use the clutch pedal deterrent, works great!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:36 AM   #9
GwendolynDelano

Drives: Camaro 2016 RS
Thanks all for the info, I appreciate it.
GwendolynDelano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:08 AM   #10
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
I just use the clutch pedal deterrent, works great!
I thought manuals didn’t get stolen either, I was wrong.