Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2024, 04:56 PM   #29
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Pretty much this ^^. The use of a firearm constitutes the application of deadly force which is only justifiable in the context of using it to save a life, not property.

Things I remember from long ago in Concealed Carry class:

Can't shoot them in the back, even when running off with your flatscreen.
Can't shoot at them in a car fleeing.
Can't shoot them in the leg (deliberately) because it demonstrates that deadly force was not required.
Can't shoot them for stealing or destroying your property, even harming/killing pets or livestock, unless you can prove human life was at risk.

Basically, they have to be "coming right at you" or your family/others and in that case you should aim for center mass.

Where states vary is "castle law" doctrine. Some states give a lot of leeway once someone has B&E'd your home.
In Texas, there's a whole section of the Penal Code dedicated to use of deadly force to protect property, even in the case of someone fleeing with your property.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:01 PM   #30
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Sure it's GM problem. JLR fixed their customer cars, read up on it and get back to us.
What good does a better mouse trap do when the mouse has a gun?
Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:15 PM   #31
Junction65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
In Texas, there's a whole section of the Penal Code dedicated to use of deadly force to protect property, even in the case of someone fleeing with your property.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
Good luck with that. In Texas, you can't even defend yourself against someone approaching you (in your vehicle) with an AK in low-ready position.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2024, 05:22 PM   #32
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction65 View Post
What good does a better mouse trap do when the mouse has a gun?
When the mouse understands he can't get the Cheese (Camaro) it moves on to something else!
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:50 PM   #33
TheEnthusiast

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifecta View Post
what are the legal rights that we, as owners have, if we're confronted by a thief?
Here in Florida, I can shoot them dead and I'll get adda boys from local law enforcement. Hell, they'll probably buy me a beer.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:26 PM   #34
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnthusiast View Post
Here in Florida, I can shoot them dead and I'll get adda boys from local law enforcement. Hell, they'll probably buy me a beer.
As it should be. When criminals are coddled and face little to no consequences, what the hell do you expect?
Old 03-20-2024, 08:32 PM   #35
Stewman

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro 2ss
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/cam...ft-device/amp/
Stewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:59 PM   #36
Junction65

Quote:
When the mouse understands he can't get the Cheese (Camaro) it moves on to something else!
Absolutely and totally agree. I keep my cheese (Camaro) in my garage which takes both GM and the mouse (perpetrator) out of the equation.

Its really not that hard.

You seem to be blaming everyone else for something you cant accomplish. Get back to us when you have the means and resources to protect your stuff...
Old 03-21-2024, 01:01 AM   #37
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction65 View Post
Absolutely and totally agree. I keep my cheese (Camaro) in my garage which takes both GM and the mouse (perpetrator) out of the equation.

Its really not that hard.

You seem to be blaming everyone else for something you cant accomplish. Get back to us when you have the means and resources to protect your stuff...
You seem to be blaming everyone else for something you cant accomplish?

No, I blaming GM from not doing an security update like JLR did for it's customers.
What part of this don't you understand ?

"Thieves can absolutely take advantage of vulnerabilities like this to steal cars."
It's OEM responsibility to correct issues when known.

Do you work for GM or get paid too front for them ? Why the heck are you not understanding that a $400 device brought from Ebay or Amazon can make a key for you Camaro and drive it off in less than 5 minutes ? That can be fixed. Even with one of the better anti-theft systems like IGLA you get damage when they break the window to gain entry ?

When you stop shilling for GM get back to us. Better yet, Call them and tell em to fix the flaw.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:15 AM   #38
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
You seem to be blaming everyone else for something you cant accomplish?

No, I blaming GM from not doing an security update like JLR did for it's customers.
What part of this don't you understand ?

"Thieves can absolutely take advantage of vulnerabilities like this to steal cars."
It's OEM responsibility to correct issues when known.

Do you work for GM or get paid too front for them ? Why the heck are you not understanding that a $400 device brought from Ebay or Amazon can make a key for you Camaro and drive it off in less than 5 minutes ? That can be fixed. Even with one of the better anti-theft systems like IGLA you get damage when they break the window to gain entry ?

When you stop shilling for GM get back to us. Better yet, Call them and tell em to fix the flaw.
He's simping for GM. I guess a Camaro should be locked up in a garage at all times. Don't drive it, just look at it once in a while
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:33 AM   #39
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
GM could and should offer a fix for the problem of theft they helped create. Perhaps they can use the ill-gotten gains from illegally selling customer information to third parties to pay for the repairs.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:50 AM   #40
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
He's simping for GM. I guess a Camaro should be locked up in a garage at all times. Don't drive it, just look at it once in a while
Exactly. I drive mine. Just don't want every Tiktok thief when they see it parked somewhere, thinking they can get it.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:52 AM   #41
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
GM could and should offer a fix for the problem of theft they helped create. Perhaps they can use the ill-gotten gains from illegally selling customer information to third parties to pay for the repairs.
I'm hoping if enough complaints come into them, they will do just what you say. I agree.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:27 PM   #42
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Apple Air Tags are pretty cheap.

If your local police are willing to help they can deal with the legality of deadly force and potentially bust a car theft ring.

That said, if you live in a major US city...you're probably SOL.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote