Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #757
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
True, but part of the thread is the eLSD and magshocks on the Vette Z51, which is also part of the Camaro 1LE setup. How much are you getting? One of the primary contentions is that a Camaro 1LE will out handle a base Vette (not made by me), maybe, but will it out handle a base Vette on summer tires. The rapidly degraded into how much handling does the 1LE offer over a properly setup spring and hydro damper? Not much on the street that is FOR SURE. Granted the ride is significantly better and also granted this is the number one reason for a magshock (which is an OPTION on the Z51). I would suspect cheap skinflints like me that got the Z51 without the magshock would be complaining about the kidney belt ride... I just went to Chevy.com a base SS with 1LE is $49,950.... I'm thinking heck no... I would rather have a base C8 and mod from there.

IMO a handling option like the Camaro 1LE, is no where close to the performance of a C8, even given the most minimal mods to the C8 like a summer tire. So will people be "pushed" into a Camaro. I don't think so. I think the Camaro 1LE people in general will be "wishing" they saved some cash and had it for a down on a C8.
I would have to agree with you.. I've read or watched a few videos from the GM release on the C8 and the reason for all-season tires was the C8 will pull over 1 lateral G on them, I was thinking I heard 1.2 but don't hold me to it. It was stated that it didn't need the summer tires to get the job done. This mid-engine design is a game-changer. I personally don't think the SS1LE is going to give it a challenge.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #758
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I would have to agree with you.. I've read or watched a few videos from the GM release on the C8 and the reason for all-season tires was the C8 will pull over 1 lateral G on them, I was thinking I heard 1.2 but don't hold me to it. It was stated that it didn't need the summer tires to get the job done. This mid-engine design is a game-changer. I personally don't think the SS1LE is going to give it a challenge.
If the C8 is pulling 1.0x as a steady-state number, it's more than likely going to be able to show peaks of at least 1.2g with the tires fully warmed up in a track day setting.

Norm
Old 08-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #759
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
I've gone back and forth between owning Corvettes and different muscle cars since the 1970's. I've enjoyed all my cars very much and what each brought to the table. There is something fundamentally "badass" about driving a heavy brick of a car that is fast but doesn't necessarily handle as well as a Corvette.
I think the new C8 Corvette is a great looking sports car that has world class performance at a fraction of the cost of the exotic sports cars that it's competing against. I plan on owning one one day.
That being said, I recently sold my C5 Z06 Corvette and bought a 2019 ZL1 Camaro. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I probably could have purchased a very nice C7 Corvette for what I paid for the ZL1. This Camaro is a "badass" muscle car that handles great! I was ready for a change from the Corvette world.
I will keep the ZL1 if and when the time comes for me to purchase a C8 Corvette.
These are good times with a lot of great choices in performance cars. Much better than the dark days of the late 1970's when performance was in the toilet. My brand new Pontiac 1978 Trans Am looked great but was a dog when it came to performance. Mopar had the Aspen RT/Volare Roadrunner and Ford had the Mustang II. Yuck!
Enjoy the choices that we currently have available to us.
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #760
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolblue67 View Post
I've gone back and forth between owning Corvettes and different muscle cars since the 1970's. I've enjoyed all my cars very much and what each brought to the table. There is something fundamentally "badass" about driving a heavy brick of a car that is fast but doesn't necessarily handle as well as a Corvette.
I think the new C8 Corvette is a great looking sports car that has world class performance at a fraction of the cost of the exotic sports cars that it's competing against. I plan on owning one one day.
That being said, I recently sold my C5 Z06 Corvette and bought a 2019 ZL1 Camaro. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I probably could have purchased a very nice C7 Corvette for what I paid for the ZL1. This Camaro is a "badass" muscle car that handles great! I was ready for a change from the Corvette world.
I will keep the ZL1 if and when the time comes for me to purchase a C8 Corvette.
These are good times with a lot of great choices in performance cars. Much better than the dark days of the late 1970's when performance was in the toilet. My brand new Pontiac 1978 Trans Am looked great but was a dog when it came to performance. Mopar had the Aspen RT/Volare Roadrunner and Ford had the Mustang II. Yuck!
Enjoy the choices that we currently have available to us.
Tyrolblue67
Very well said.. I sold my c5 when I bought my 2017 SS. I had owned it since it was new only had 27,000 on it when I sold it but was ready for a change. The 2017 SS has been a blast to own and nice change from years Vette ownership. I’m not ruling out a C8 down the road

Owned a 1996 C4 as well and in my younger days 1979 Trans Am
Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #761
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If the C8 is pulling 1.0x as a steady-state number, it's more than likely going to be able to show peaks of at least 1.2g with the tires fully warmed up in a track day setting.

Norm
I’m not sure if it was a steady 1.0 or steady 1.2 which means it could peak even higher.. I will have to see if I can locate the specs again
Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #762
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
ya - I think there are a lot of 6th gen owners that came from Corvette's. For me it was a C5Z then a couple C6 Z51 coupes and now into a 2016 SS Convertible. I am very happy with the change and find the Camaro much more usable on a regular basis and still has 90% of the performance without the trade-offs. Some people want that extra 10% - for me I've been there done that and done competitive road racing and don't need a full on race car on the street.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #763
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I grew up on pure muscle car, the Vette was like the movie "hot rod" it was guys going bald the were airline pilots or sumting... Not Joe normal. One car, OK three cars that I think every young man loved:
Shelby Road Cobra, never saw one in my life.
Porsche turbo whale tale... always seemed to have the hottie hop out of the passenger seat... dunno if it was an option or not.
Pantera..... what was there not to like. Look Italian, had a 351 canted valve V8, 4 bbl.... mid-engine... Heck I could even work on one. Dream car...

To me the C8 is that, it is affordable within reason, has a OHV V8... I can work on that. mid engine.... looks good not like these to slender and small euro exotics, but big brawney Merican car... kinda like a Patton tank vs Leopard or Type 61 or T54, you just know which one is Merican.... it is the BIG one,

Not no cramp soviet turret with no gun depression... a real tank that can hull down and take some Merican boys at 6'3".
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #764
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Started this thread due to some comments made on other forums about not getting the C8 vibe...I agree with the majority here & price point being where it is will hurt camaro. I however fall into the smaller group as I'm just not a vette guy. I looked at the Z06 but really didn't get the warm & fuzzies with the fit. Was told about the upcoming ZL1 & immediately joined the forum, went out & got one of two allocations my dealer had. They let me jump in a ss & 1le to get a good feel for what was coming & knew it was the car for me. My test drive took me home.

Now that might change when I climb into a C8 but I doubt it from what I've read so far...do hope there is room for both flavors to stick around. Would love to see what a next gen camaro will look like / perform.

There is a little chatter about cabin heat by a few other mid engine guys & sorry if I missed it discussed here...it was 104 here today.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #765
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
11.3 @ 121mph!

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/28/...-mile-0-to-60/
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #766
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
how many people do you think will be taking a C8 to the drag strip?
Not what the car is intended for..
Agree it's one fast SOB however.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #767
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
c8s will spend more days at the strip than the road course

It’s cheaper and more accessible.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #768
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
quote 0 to 60 mph takes 3.0 seconds with the entry-level model, 2.9 seconds with the Z51

Who's your dad now??
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #769
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i could get by fine with a base C8,just fine.make it red with black level 1 seats and im good...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #770
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Base C8 does a 3.0s 0-60.

Baddass car!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote