Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #659
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
A DCT can’t predict the turn a head , it’s not always about how fast you can shift, there is more to it then that.
Actually it does based on speed and throttle with braking.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #660
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Really, you mean a performance car really performs only when driven for performance?? No kidding?

Yes it does not really matter that much, unless you are into performance cars. 1 second or more off the SS time 0 to 60 is a lifetime in the performance world. Now it can be reachable by mortals. This is not some smoke and mirrors Euro exotica, it is a Chevy. It is a game changer.
Yet, here I find myself wishing it had a manual. Some people just get their thrills elsewhere.

Loved my DCT for what it was, but it got boring and got sold. I would be happy to take a 0-60 and a 1/4 hit for a manual C8, and love they offer it in a DCT to really let it reach its peak performance potential.

I will hold out and see if they offer a 3rd pedal with the GS or something, but I doubt they will. Maybe it just isn't the right platform for a manual, I don't know.

Either way, the search continues for my manual replacement for the booted DCT.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #661
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
SoYou like performance cars, but NOT 1/4 mile, not 0 -60, not street fights, obviously not any road race,...
Not any actual road races, but I do get out there at the occasional HPDE event, which can be as close to race pace as you care (or dare) to make it. I know I leave a little performance on the table, separate from whatever time handicap I may be giving up by having to use so many major appendages to get each shift done. But when I've driven to the best of my ability that day, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
The c8 is not for you.
True, and that's unfortunate. If I was car shopping today, the Camaro would be the only Chevy I'd be looking at. Though I also hope that a MT somehow sneaks into the Corvette lineup at some point.

Quote:
Pintos came with manuals ya know...
Been there, done that, would seriously consider doing it again (with a bit more power and one or two more forward gears this time).

That car was far more fun to drive than its flammable reputation ever let most people think could be possible.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-20-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #662
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Wow, 0-60 a very important part of performance cars... what else is there.
0-60 is only as important as a person's need to hold bragging rights for the number. Whatever that number might be, it's either going to be quick enough in any given situation or it isn't . . . and there's always going to be somebody who's quicker.

Quote:
Oh yeah, your driving a mustang, no 0-60 thrills there and you like that...
Doesn't matter what I might be driving. Could be a Camaro, a Corvette, a Demon, or any other car you care to name. After once or twice, the short-lived thrills from hero 0-60 blasts will be gone. I've driven much faster/quicker cars than the any of the cars I have ever actually owned.

Norm
Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #663
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
A DCT can’t predict the turn a head , it’s not always about how fast you can shift, there is more to it then that.
Oh but it certainly can, your off the throttle and beginning to brake and the 10 speed auto as well as the DCT is already downshifting matching your speed to the optimum gear you need to be in when your back on the throttle.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #664
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
0-60 is only as important as a person's need to hold bragging rights for the number. Whatever that number might be, it's either going to be quick enough in any given situation or it isn't . . . and there's always going to be somebody who's quicker.

Doesn't matter what I might be driving. Could be a Camaro, a Corvette, a Demon, or any other car you care to name. After once or twice, the short-lived thrills from hero 0-60 blasts will be gone. I've driven much faster/quicker cars than the any of the cars I have ever actually owned.

Norm
A fast 0-60 or 0-100 thrill never goes away, the thrill of power never goes away, maybe a Prius is in your future and you could certainly appreciate that car everyday as there are no thrills to experience.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #665
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
A fast 0-60 or 0-100 thrill never goes away, the thrill of power never goes away,
You can certainly claim that for yourself, but that does not make it a universal truth.

Quote:
maybe a Prius is in your future and you could certainly appreciate that car everyday as there are no thrills to experience.
Clearly you're not grasping any overall 'fun to drive' concept, or that it's not necessarily the same thing as thrill for the sake of the thrill.

Besides, if I'm complaining about the C8 not having a conventional 3-pedal MT, what would lead you to even think I'd have any interest in a 2-pedal Prius?

Norm
Old 08-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #666
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Oh but it certainly can, your off the throttle and beginning to brake and the 10 speed auto as well as the DCT is already downshifting matching your speed to the optimum gear you need to be in when your back on the throttle.
It does that in manual mode ?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #667
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
A fast 0-60 or 0-100 thrill never goes away, the thrill of power never goes away, maybe a Prius is in your future and you could certainly appreciate that car everyday as there are no thrills to experience.
What’s wrong with 70 mph to 135mph?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #668
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Was thinking the same thing. The algorithms pick up on that shit

Quote:
What’s wrong with 70 mph to 135mph?
How often do you do that?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #669
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
after reading the new car and driver it is thought that not needing a hole for the shifter to go through allows the backbone of the car to be stiffer,which in turn does away with the wide door sills found on many midengine exotics.sounds reasonable enough.
Just got my C/D and started reading the article. I'm sure there'd be a way to run the shift linkage without having to cut a hole in the tunnel.

I also read where the article's author was picking on the C7's leaf springs like they were still the same old longitudinal springs that were on the original C1. They're not, and either he doesn't know any better or doesn't know how to describe how transverse leaf springs that act against control arms are at as bad of a disadvantage as he's implying.

Norm
Old 08-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #670
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
The. C/D article was a bit of a disappointment. The comments about the rear springs as well as "the first Vette with dual fuel tanks" comments were troubling. I guess fake news is the norm now. Make a huge gaff and it's OK. No one really expects accuracy it appears.

Wonder when it will finally sink in to the masses that a MANUAL C8 Aint gonna happen! Talk about beating a dead horse.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #671
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
You are wrong , its not as easy as you think to build a car for road course . The SS 1Le is an amazing car for its money and track capability.
No I'm not wrong. I never said the 1LE wasn't an amazing car. Try reading what I said previously again.

Fwiw, I had a 4th gen that placed 3rd out of 150 cars in a tire rack SCCA event. So yes you can build a 4th gen to carve corners. 4th gens are still hard to beat bang for the buck either way you want to take them.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #672
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
The. C/D article was a bit of a disappointment. The comments about the rear springs as well as "the first Vette with dual fuel tanks" comments were troubling. I guess fake news is the norm now. Make a huge gaff and it's OK. No one really expects accuracy it appears.

Wonder when it will finally sink in to the masses that a MANUAL C8 Aint gonna happen! Talk about beating a dead horse.
It's not fake news like some sort of new development, it's bias that has existed for a long time. It's the people that claim their 3 series or whatever euro sedan has a "much nicer interior" when it has miles of plastic that they are just choosing to not see, or really stupid comments like "nicer knobs". While some of this used to be true, to a much higher extent, the ease of obtaining information over the last 20-25 years has meant that auto-makers can easily match each-other and in many cases, there is not this huge gap anymore. The gap persists in the minds of people that have been trained to see or think one thing.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote