Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #589
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
In a tight car you will appreciate not wasting the space on a shifter. The new Terrain changed my mind on that and agree with them on that now
Yeah gotta have room for that cellphone and Latte.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #590
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Yeah gotta have room for that cellphone and Latte.
That’s correct. If it’s already automatic I don’t care. I don’t get points for being a hardo

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 08-17-2019 at 06:33 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #591
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just asking but how many people complaining about no manual have ever driven a DCT?

It’s faster than any auto you’ve ever driven as it IS an automated manual NOT an automatic if well calibrated will operate than up you or I unless you drive on the weekend for a living.

If you want to be the fastest a DCT is the answer. If you simply need your left foot and right arm engaged in the process and are willing to be slower, then a C8 is simply not put for you.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #592
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just asking but how many people complaining about no manual have ever driven a DCT?

It’s faster than any auto you’ve ever driven as it IS an automated manual NOT an automatic if well calibrated will operate than up you or I unless you drive on the weekend for a living.

If you want to be the fastest a DCT is the answer. If you simply need your left foot and right arm engaged in the process and are willing to be slower, then a C8 is simply not put for you.
Yes , but it’s not a manual no matter how much you tickle those paddles. I would take a slower car with manual without a doubt. I won’t be a passenger in my drivers seat .
Old 08-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #593
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:

I certainly have and I own probably the best one on the market today - Porsche PDK. I'm not complaining about it - it's a great automatic. But it's not a manual with a clutch and that's what I prefer. The biggest issue for me is drivers engagement. And a not insignificant issue for me is the complexity and cost of replacing one or even just when the clutches wear out - which you have little control over as a driver btw, unlike a manual - and the cost of the units themselves which often are not serviceable. The PDK in the Porsche is $15K. Compare that to a new T56 which is 25% of that and is far less likely to fail too.

Those are the two factors for me. Actually driving a car with a PDK is perfectly fine and I enjoy it for my sedan, although most previous sedan's I have owned were manual (M5, M3, CTSV, S4, Evo). But I don't really want that in a sports car and especially one that I would want to own long term like a Corvette because that's always going to be a potential major repair cost item down the road. And Especially if you are tracking the car and driving it hard on a regular basis. That's the aspect I am most concerned about with a DCT to be honest.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #594
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
It just may push some Corvette buyers to Camaro because you can get a manual trans in the Camaro.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #595
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
It just may push some Corvette buyers to Camaro because you can get a manual trans in the Camaro.
The rumor of the DCT on the 500, and the shittyness of the 350, is exactly why I got this camaro.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #596
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I certainly have and I own probably the best one on the market today - Porsche PDK. I'm not complaining about it - it's a great automatic. But it's not a manual with a clutch and that's what I prefer. The biggest issue for me is drivers engagement. And a not insignificant issue for me is the complexity and cost of replacing one or even just when the clutches wear out - which you have little control over as a driver btw, unlike a manual - and the cost of the units themselves which often are not serviceable. The PDK in the Porsche is $15K. Compare that to a new T56 which is 25% of that and is far less likely to fail too.

Those are the two factors for me. Actually driving a car with a PDK is perfectly fine and I enjoy it for my sedan, although most previous sedan's I have owned were manual (M5, M3, CTSV, S4, Evo). But I don't really want that in a sports car and especially one that I would want to own long term like a Corvette because that's always going to be a potential major repair cost item down the road. And Especially if you are tracking the car and driving it hard on a regular basis. That's the aspect I am most concerned about with a DCT to be honest.
It has 2 clutches 😉

I still view the DCT as an automated manual. Most here want to call it an automatic. It’s a manual without shift lever.

Don’t get me wrong I get the desire for a clutch pedal and shift lever. If I we’re looking at a C7 I’d probably pick a manual over an automatic. But if it were a choice between an automatic, a manual and a DCT, I’d take the DCT.

It’s just a preference and the preference for a manual is simply dying off. Has nothing to do with government regs. When given a choice, automatics are way ahead in volume. And it would have taken a ton more money to develop a manual transmission for eight. And with volume down to 15%, which surprised me as it was50 last I saw any numbers, there just wasn’t a good business case.

And that is the question in the thread, will lack of a manual cause lost sales. Probably will. But the increased overall sales will likely make that a moot point.

But the bigger question is auto to DCT will likely not impact a sale. Front engine to mid engine over the long haul is my concern. For me that is a bigger jump.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #597
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
It has enough in common with other transmission types that entirely reasonable conclusions can be reached. A DCT-equipped car will still pull away from a full stop much like any other 2-pedal car, and your input to that is down to just one pedal. Don't know about anybody else, but I really don't care for the concept of linking the pedal that controls the throttle to transmission operation (or to the operation of anything else, for that matter).

Quote:
Sooner or later, everybody brings up this point. Sure, it's physically true; I have no argument there. But how much does that matter in any driving that is not being timed? Can you really save all those half-seconds up until they amount to enough to do something useful with? This aspect is wildly over-valued, IMHO.

Quote:
Unless you drive on the weekend for a living (or to at least supplement your lifestyle through contingencies), the advantages of a DCT amount to little more than bragging rights. But maybe that defines how Chevy sees today's Corvette demographic.

Norm
Old 08-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #598
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I just finished working on a "built" Mini Coopper, while most of these are manuals the last one is an auto. The tac is so small and it travels through the rev range so quick, IMO the manual is useless at this power level.

On the Camaro at least I can hear the engine and shift for the most part by feel, the just does not have that type of feedback and I don't have enough seat time.

My Camaro will be the last manual for me and I've been driving a manual since the F100 3 on a tree with oil bath air cleaner, glass fuel filter.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #599
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It has enough in common with other transmission types that entirely reasonable conclusions can be reached. A DCT-equipped car will still pull away from a full stop much like any other 2-pedal car, and your input to that is down to just one pedal. Don't know about anybody else, but I really don't care for the concept of linking the pedal that controls the throttle to transmission operation (or to the operation of anything else, for that matter).

Sooner or later, everybody brings up this point. Sure, it's physically true; I have no argument there. But how much does that matter in any driving that is not being timed? Can you really save all those half-seconds up until they amount to enough to do something useful with? This aspect is wildly over-valued, IMHO.

Unless you drive on the weekend for a living (or to at least supplement your lifestyle through contingencies), the advantages of a DCT amount to little more than bragging rights. But maybe that defines how Chevy sees today's Corvette demographic.

Norm
Yes, exactly. Bragging rights to the fastest car for the money.

Again, nothing wrong with wanting to row the shifter. It's fun. For example, I can't possibly imagine riding a motorcycle with an automatic.

But it's like everything else, if you wanted a manual you needed more people like you to buy them. And when it went to 15% for even a Corvette, that's telling. And GM listened to the data from the customers.

I do find it interesting that some are so willing to "be engaged" in driving that they will take a lesser performing car to do it.

DCT is the best of both worlds for performance, you just lose the level of physical inputs other than the paddles.

Now here is some "driver engagement". Enjoy.

https://jalopnik.com/a-video-reminde...ell-1837285226
Old 08-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #600
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post
Manual shift for me; never liked computer controlled autos. the algorithms seem moronic for my driving, and too much lag in manual mode.....
It's a dual clutch transmission, the lag isn't there like a torque converter automatic.

I've always been a big proponent of manuals in sports cars, but a DCT is something else. Only thing missing is a clutch pedal.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #601
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Looks like the mid engine survived on this one.
Attached Images

orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #602
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
It has 2 clutches 😉

I still view the DCT as an automated manual. Most here want to call it an automatic. It’s a manual without shift lever.

Don’t get me wrong I get the desire for a clutch pedal and shift lever. If I we’re looking at a C7 I’d probably pick a manual over an automatic. But if it were a choice between an automatic, a manual and a DCT, I’d take the DCT.

It’s just a preference and the preference for a manual is simply dying off. Has nothing to do with government regs. When given a choice, automatics are way ahead in volume. And it would have taken a ton more money to develop a manual transmission for eight. And with volume down to 15%, which surprised me as it was50 last I saw any numbers, there just wasn’t a good business case.

And that is the question in the thread, will lack of a manual cause lost sales. Probably will. But the increased overall sales will likely make that a moot point.

But the bigger question is auto to DCT will likely not impact a sale. Front engine to mid engine over the long haul is my concern. For me that is a bigger jump.
I have talked to a lot of younger people about muscle cars and sports cars and almost all of them would love to know how to drive a manual, problem is they have no manual cars to learn on. The interest is there i have no doubt in that .I have nothing against automatics and i'm sure the C8 will be fun but for me its easy to pass on because it don't offer a manual. I think in a few years when sales drop to under 25k units a year they may offer one .