Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #575
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Nope not dead at all. Just go to Europe. Hell the rental car I just got in Greece, there was no automatic option. They were all manual.
Yeah but here in the States, it's pretty much dead.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #576
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Nope not dead at all. Just go to Europe. Hell the rental car I just got in Greece, there was no automatic option. They were all manual.
Meant from a performance car standpoint.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #577
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Seems there's a lot of people who'd like to see it die. Or at least not care if it does.

Placing any automated transmission's performance potential on a pedestal like that minimizes the driver's part in the whole business of driving. Are you sure, really sure, that that's what you want?. When you stop to think about it, the automatic transmission was the auto industry's first step toward the autonomous car . . .

Me, I'd walk away from the new-car market and go Pro-Touring in a heartbeat. Crate engine, Tremec, and a stand-alone ECU.

Norm
Um u know I have a m6 right
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #578
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The car manufactures are gearing up for the government making Emergency braking mandatory on cars. and 10 years down the road autonomous driving modes in cars. Ending manual transmission now is a step toward that goal. Caddilac has Super Cruise now, So say goodbye to manual transmissions.
excerpt from Cadillac information options guide 2020.

Super Cruise works a lot like Autopilot, with sensors and cameras and GPS guiding the car, but only on certain highways across the U.S. and Canada, where the computer knows the route. Unlike with Autopilot, drivers don't have to keep their hands on the wheel. A small camera trained on the driver detects when drivers need to snap to attention —and then notifies and alerts drivers to get back into driving mode. Until then, you are literally just sitting behind the wheel, watching the road go by.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #579
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
What I think is sad is that the new 'Vette doesn't retain a shift lever, not even to select the basic P-R-N-D functions. Instead, you get a cluster of electrical switches more appropriate to a video game.

Norm
Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #580
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Um u know I have a m6 right
Yes. For now.

(you did say it was going to be your last, which I'm afraid comes off as "I'll be knuckling under next time around" to me).

Norm
Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #581
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
What I think is sad is that the new 'Vette doesn't retain a shift lever, not even to select the basic P-R-N-D functions. Instead, you get a cluster of electrical switches more appropriate to a video game.

Norm
In a tight car you will appreciate not wasting the space on a shifter. The new Terrain changed my mind on that and agree with them on that now

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 08-16-2019 at 11:28 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #582
oldman

Quote:
Yes. For now.

(you did say it was going to be your last, which I'm afraid comes off as "I'll be knuckling under next time around" to me).

Norm
Um I don’t make cars the Audi or the c8 come only in auto, and i’m old. So go ahead lead the good fight, me I have to drive a car.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #583
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if you want to know what’s coming for cars, look at big trucks. they’ve had crash mitigation systems on them for years. anything deemed unsafe for a truck will trickle down to cars sooner than later. cell phone use, cms, lane departure, the adaptive cruise programs, etc.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #584
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Seems there's a lot of people who'd like to see it die. Or at least not care if it does.

Placing any automated transmission's performance potential on a pedestal like that minimizes the driver's part in the whole business of driving. Are you sure, really sure, that that's what you want?. When you stop to think about it, the automatic transmission was the auto industry's first step toward the autonomous car . . .

Me, I'd walk away from the new-car market and go Pro-Touring in a heartbeat. Crate engine, Tremec, and a stand-alone ECU.

Norm
I have two Tremec equipped cars - the 2016 SS and a 71 Camaro PT build.
Love driving them both. For me a clutch is what keeps me connected to the car. Not to mention the cost associated with replacing clutches or electronics or transmissions themselves on these DCT units is completely insane. No thank you on that front.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #585
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Um I don’t make cars the Audi or the c8 come only in auto, and i’m old. So go ahead lead the good fight, me I have to drive a car.
My wife and I were both born in the late 1940's, so I imagine that qualifies both of us as 'old' in most peoples' eyes.

Neither of us is ready to even think of throwing in the towel on this matter any time soon . . . our latest family sedan being the 6MT WRX in my sig. We've switched car makes on three car purchase occasions (out of only 8 since 1971) specifically in order to keep "driving stick".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #586
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
In a tight car you will appreciate not wasting the space on a shifter. The new Terrain changed my mind on that and agree with them on that now
Pretty sure our WRX is 'tighter' on the inside than a Terrain in all respects, and there's nothing else I'd rather have in that space than a shifter and a handbrake lever. Cupholder and little storage cubby designs can just work around that; they're just not important enough to be granted top priority on that space or help drive even more basic vehicle design decisions.

But I guess the notion of a vehicle being something you physically operate instead of just sit in and steer toward your destination is falling out of favor even within the ranks of "enthusiasts". It's already gone from the vast majority of non-enthusiasts.

Norm
Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #587
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Manual shift for me; never liked computer controlled autos. the algorithms seem moronic for my driving, and too much lag in manual mode.....
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #588
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Pretty sure our WRX is 'tighter' on the inside than a Terrain in all respects, and there's nothing else I'd rather have in that space than a shifter and a handbrake lever. Cupholder and little storage cubby designs can just work around that; they're just not important enough to be granted top priority on that space or help drive even more basic vehicle design decisions.

But I guess the notion of a vehicle being something you physically operate instead of just sit in and steer toward your destination is falling out of favor even within the ranks of "enthusiasts". It's already gone from the vast majority of non-enthusiasts.

Norm
It is. I've driven a Terrain and owned a WRX, the WRX is much tighter inside. I can't imagine a WRX without a MT. Space is never 'wasted' on a shifter.

My Camaro fits me like a glove. The Recaro seats hug me just right. My head touches the head rest at just the right angle. All the controls are right where I want them to be. The HUD let's me keep my eyes on the road, where they belong. The MT makes driving the car SO much more fun.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote