Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Drives: '16 RS A8 Custom Exhaust CAI
High idle?

Anyone experience a high idle when the car isn't moving (obviously)

I've recently noticed when I'm at a light or even just in park the idle is about 900rpms when previously it would sit at about 500-600. Just recently started noticing it because you can hear the exahust note get higher when the RPMS raise. Never had an issue before.
SamMoranPranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The engine may idle higher to take the A/C compressor load. Probably need to see the service manual to see exactly how this is implemented on the car. But the 900 rpm number sounds about right.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The engine may idle higher to take the A/C compressor load. Probably need to see the service manual to see exactly how this is implemented on the car. But the 900 rpm number sounds about right.
Even then that still seems fairly high. If I last recall when I had the AC running it was around 650RPM for idle.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Even then that still seems fairly high. If I last recall when I had the AC running it was around 650RPM for idle.
I agree. I've had the AC running almost every day since I purchased this car last year, Texas is never kind with heat, and it always idled about 600-650 but all of a sudden now when I'm at a light you can hear the engine start to review up and stay at 900, it's literally right below the 1k mark on the tachometer. It doesn't seem normal to me at all considering it just started happening about two weeks ago out of nowhere and I thought I'd see if anyone else had this issue.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Could your throttle body need cleaning? In my experience when my truck starts running high rpms, the TB needs cleaning on the inside. Just a thought!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Could your throttle body need cleaning? In my experience when my truck starts running high rpms, the TB needs cleaning on the inside. Just a thought!
Possibly. I plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow because it's bothering me and doesn't seem normal. I only have 19k miles. I'll see what they say

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
stars_fan
Nerd

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Have you heard back yet?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
+1 on the TB. In my G35 days, every high idle issue pointed towards a dirty TB. After a clean it settles back down nicely. Not sure if it still applies here as well but we're always warned to never touch the butterfly valves. Don't know that was car specific or just the general rule of thumb.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars_fan View Post
Have you heard back yet?
Not yet. Dealership still has her. Just called to check on it and the advisor said the technician wanted to drive it more but he wasn't seeing any codes or anything. Obviously it's not throwing codes because there's no CEL on at all. It only happens when you drive it and it's not EVERY drive, just pretty noticable more and more over the past week.

I hate how dealerships really only check for "codes" when you take a car in and tell them the issue with it. I even have a video as proof of what happens if they can't replicate the issue. But they refused to look at it. I'll just wait to hear back from them today and see if they found anything
Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMoranPranks View Post
Obviously it's not throwing codes because there's no CEL on at all.
With OBDII there are active codes and pending codes. Pending codes indicate problems which have been detected, but there have not been enough sequential occurrences to trigger a CEL.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro idle, high idle, idle, problems