Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
2016 1SS Heavily Modded - Catastrophic Failure

Hey y'all! Ive been MIA for a while. Been busy working on some new projects.

As the title says, my car is out of commission. Find out why in the link. https://youtu.be/pHfywbLmwAI

Subscribe for all the latest updates and for lots of other gearhead stuff.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
1LE801
"Lohla"

Here is part 2. Up close and personal with the carnage. Plenty to see in this video about the damage caused.

https://youtu.be/g40FQ0_CTQ0

Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Sorry to hear this news. It could happen to anyone, but sounds like you have the right skills and connections to get a new motor that will be built for boost at a cheaper total price than most of us. Best of luck and looking forward to your stronger build.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
Sorry to hear this news. It could happen to anyone, but sounds like you have the right skills and connections to get a new motor that will be built for boost at a cheaper total price than most of us. Best of luck and looking forward to your stronger build.
Thanks for watching and for the well wishes!!

Late Model Engines is building a pretty dope bottom end for me. JDP has been beyond amazing with their handling of the situation. I feel very fortunate to have them in my corner. LME has also been very fair with me I believe. It sucks huge balls but the end result will be a car with 800 wheel that shouldn't have any engine issues going forward. The rest of the drivetrain might be another story at those power levels but I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Thanks for watching and for the well wishes!!

Late Model Engines is building a pretty dope bottom end for me. JDP has been beyond amazing with their handling of the situation. I feel very fortunate to have them in my corner. LME has also been very fair with me I believe. It sucks huge balls but the end result will be a car with 800 wheel that shouldn't have any engine issues going forward. The rest of the drivetrain might be another story at those power levels but I guess we'll see what happens.
That will be a killer engine. I'd also look into upgraded drive shaft with loop, and a fully built rear end and axles. And then see how the stock trans holds out. 800rwhp will be awesome!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
That will be a killer engine. I'd also look into upgraded drive shaft with loop, and a fully built rear end and axles. And then see how the stock trans holds out. 800rwhp will be awesome!
I think the axles and driveshaft will be the weakest links. There are a lot of cars putting crazy power through the stock diff so I think I'll leave it for a bit. The Auto in these has been pretty robust on the big power cars so far too. My fingers are crossed lol.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Hope all goes well on your new build.

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
Hope all goes well on your new build.
Hey Eric! I just barely replied to your comment on the video! THANK YOU for taking the time to watch and comment. It greatly helps me. I asked a few questions in response

Thanks again, Eric!
Old 05-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
alexandre_baril

Drives: 2016 2SS
I like your post because it is a reminder to people new to tuning that this is is a decision you must think about carefully.

Issues happen and even if it is not a catastrophic failure, you are on your own and you will pay to play. Even when it's not a catastrophic failure like you got, you can have detonations, leaks and so many other things and you are on your own. The tuner will help to some extent, but at some point you have to pay, to wait, try again, etc. Then the fear comes, you are never sure what will happen when you floor it. It's very hot outside, you don't floor it, you hear a strange sound coming from the front end... is this a rock I just heard? etc. Then you will start monitoring your car, because now you understand you are the one that is going to pay if something happens: you watch knock, temp, boost, you check at every filling jsut to be sure you have good gas, etc. It just come to a point you don't like you car anymore and it's a pain in the ass troubleshooting issues.

Of course if it is a lifestyle, it's different, but people who get a tune to get rid of the throttle lag or to gain 25whp-30whp are just doing a very big mistake that could result in a life changing event in case of catastrophic failure. Those lt1 are far from cheap.

Personally, I will NEVER do anything to my 2SS and keep it stock. If I feel the need to have more power someday, I will buy a ZL1. Even when warranty is over, I would not do anything to the car as anything not expensive that has no chance of breaking anything does not worth it.

Last edited by alexandre_baril; 05-31-2017 at 01:57 PM.
alexandre_baril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandre_baril View Post
I like your post because it is a reminder to people new to tuning that this is is a decision you must think about carefully.

Issues happen and even if it is not a catastrophic failure, you are on your own and you will pay to play. Even when it's not a catastrophic failure like you got, you can have detonations, leaks and so many other things and you are on your own. The tuner will help to some extent, but at some point you have to pay, to wait, try again, etc. Then the fear comes, you are never sure what will happen when you floor it. It's very hot outside, you don't floor it, you hear a strange sound coming from the front end... is this a rock I just heard? etc. Then you will start monitoring your car, because now you understand you are the one that is going to pay if something happens: you watch knock, temp, boost, you check at every filling jsut to be sure you have good gas, etc. It just come to a point you don't like you car anymore and it's a pain in the ass troubleshooting issues.

Of course if it is a lifestyle, it's different, but people who get a tune to get rid of the throttle lag or to gain 25whp-30whp are just doing a very big mistake that could result in a life changing event in case of catastrophic failure. Those lt1 are far from cheap.

Personally, I will NEVER do anything to my 2SS and keep it stock. If I feel the need to have more power someday, I will buy a ZL1. Even when warranty is over, I would not do anything to the car as anything not expensive that has no chance of breaking anything does not worth it.
Well put! You definitely increase the chances of something bad happening. Best you can do is do your research and pick a shop wisely and even then, shit happens. Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm pot committed at this point so were aiming for the start with the new bottom end.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandre_baril View Post

I feel the same way I monitor my gauges every time I'm driving. Hear a noise or smell something funny, wonder if I should pull over and check it out, but so far after over 10k miles on what I have, I have had no problems and I have been down the track over 100 times. My power steering went out on my way home from out of town Friday and I was worried as hell because of the mods.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote