Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2023, 12:18 PM   #57
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
No EV for me... Fetched my 23' SS1LE 6speed manual in January. LOVE the car. The smooth six, exhaust, it's my Black Barchetta. OE Tires were replaced immediately after it was rolled off the trailer. PM me if interested.

I would rather deal with stale gas than a 'stale' system of locomotion (crazy expensive and difficult to replace battery). I have boats and farm toys that I buy and maintain long term- I'm constantly buying batteries for em'.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:27 PM   #58
Buddy Shagmore

Drives: '23 LT1 & '16 GMC Canyon
It's gotta be gasoline and pistons. Just say no to transportation appliances.
Buddy Shagmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:21 PM   #59
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok this is fine, but what will it be replaced with because it won't be ICEs.
IMO, ICEs will not go 100% away. They will near extinction due to government overregulation, but enough people will be upset that their cost to operate is going through the roof and demand release of ridiculous regulations. Look at Germany for example. They swore off coal powered electricity a few years back. However, this past year they went in and reopened their coal power plants because their "green" "renewable" energy couldn't keep up and was horribly unreliable. I'll be buying a 2034 ICE vehicle with great reliability and waiting for the EV nonsense to go away. Even if ICE is powered by something like hydrogen vs gasoline, it will still be an improvement.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #60
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
"Just trust us, it is going to work, the experts say so!".
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #61
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Ignoring opinions, GM is outputting two EV SUV’s for 2024 (Blazer and Equinox EV)

Blazer EV

Equinox EV

These accompany the already in production Bolt EV and EUV along with the upcoming Silverado EV.

Blazer EV will have 0-60 of under 4 seconds on the ‘SS’ trim, 557hp on their specified drive mode, and 247-320 miles range across the trims.

Equinox EV will have 0-60 of 6 seconds with ‘eAWD’ and 290hp (1,500 lbs towing) with 250-300 miles range across the trims.

Given GM’s all in on their Ultium platform, as well as the Silverado EV having options up to 754hp/784lb-ft torque and 0-60 under 4.5s with the specified drive mode along with 400 miles range. Whatever they replace the Camaro with in the coming years should ideally be greater (than the Silverado at least).
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #62
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Perhaps a better way of looking at this would be, *given that* the ICE Camaro won't be with us much longer, if they still offered the Camaro/Panther as an EV, would it be a consideration if and when the time came to replace our current rides?

It'd look like a Camaro, and it'd probably have an objective performance envelope similar to a ZL1 (which is to say, better than an SS); the power would certainly be there, and the suspension folks at GM could likely further fine-tune things (MRC or not) to handle the possible higher weight.

(* -- I say "possible" because peeps sometimes forget, you're not simply adding the weight of the batteries to the current weight of the car, you're also removing the weight of the engine and transmission. It matters...)

Subjectively, it would *not* offer the driving pleasure that enthusiasts seek (shifting, engine/exhaust notes, etc.), although as some have pointed out, it is claimed that Dodge will try to add that back in as part of the experience whenever their claimed EV Challenger comes around.

Oh, and it'll certainly set us back a couple of bucks -- ZL1 money, most likely -- though hopefully as time progresses, this can start to moderate. (And it's somewhat offset by lower operating costs, etc.)

So: it's 2025, there's NO MORE ICE CAMARO, but there's an electric one, and it looks pretty much the same, and it's a pretty darned good sports car, and you "need" another sports car, and you really like(d) the Camaro and don't want a Mustang and cannot bring yourself to drop $75K on one of the BMW coupes.

Yes or no?
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:39 AM   #63
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Perhaps a better way of looking at this would be, *given that* the ICE Camaro won't be with us much longer, if they still offered the Camaro/Panther as an EV, would it be a consideration if and when the time came to replace our current rides?

It'd look like a Camaro, and it'd probably have an objective performance envelope similar to a ZL1 (which is to say, better than an SS); the power would certainly be there, and the suspension folks at GM could likely further fine-tune things (MRC or not) to handle the possible higher weight.

(* -- I say "possible" because peeps sometimes forget, you're not simply adding the weight of the batteries to the current weight of the car, you're also removing the weight of the engine and transmission. It matters...)

Subjectively, it would *not* offer the driving pleasure that enthusiasts seek (shifting, engine/exhaust notes, etc.), although as some have pointed out, it is claimed that Dodge will try to add that back in as part of the experience whenever their claimed EV Challenger comes around.

Oh, and it'll certainly set us back a couple of bucks -- ZL1 money, most likely -- though hopefully as time progresses, this can start to moderate. (And it's somewhat offset by lower operating costs, etc.)

So: it's 2025, there's NO MORE ICE CAMARO, but there's an electric one, and it looks pretty much the same, and it's a pretty darned good sports car, and you "need" another sports car, and you really like(d) the Camaro and don't want a Mustang and cannot bring yourself to drop $75K on one of the BMW coupes.

Yes or no?
No... Hard Pass... Not going to happen. I would buy a newer used ICE Camaro or I would buy a Vette. I have ZERO interest in any EV.

The consumer will dictate the future of EV's. Not the Gov, not the auto manufactures. The consumer always dictates the success of any product. I still do not believe that EVs will be the replacement of ICE vehicles. Still believe they will only fulfill a niche market. Time will tell.

What happens when/If (Good Chance) there is a change in party leadership next year. Drilling and leases are opened back up. Oil companies aren't afraid to make investments because the party flat out said "I'm going to end fossil fuel"? Gas prices come back down... Then what. Why would anyone go by an EV unless that is simply just what you truly wanted. Gas prices always are a reflection of who is in office and elections.

Last edited by jamala00; 03-27-2023 at 08:55 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:50 AM   #64
79 TransAm that never was

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 6.2 MT6
Had an EV and couldn't get rid of it fast enough! More expensive to drive, terrible resale after 3 years, and maintenance costs aren't cheap because most mechanics know little to nothing about repairing them.
I don't care what make or model an EV is, I'll never own one!

It would be the death of the auto industry if they were to put all of resources into a market that only has the materials to produce one generation of EV batteries. The result? Scarcity that will drive prices out of reach for most consumers. Leaving ICE as the only choice for middle class consumers.

The talk about an EV Camaro coming out soon is gm's way of softening the ridicule they expect to get when they kill it.
Government motors is slow, lazy, and managed by imbeciles who know nothing about consumers, or automobiles. These would be the same imbeciles who changed GM to gm and in previous years put a little GM emblem on every GM make and model because they thought consumers didn't know that GM made them! If, or when a Camaro ever makes it to market, consumers will have already rejected EV's and would only buy an ICE.

Last edited by 79 TransAm that never was; 03-27-2023 at 11:21 AM.
79 TransAm that never was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:57 AM   #65
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
Had an EV and couldn't get rid of it fast enough! More expensive to drive, terrible resale after 3 years, and maintenance costs aren't cheap because most mechanics know little to nothing about them.
I don't care what make or model an EV is, I'll never own one!
Is there even an EV used car market? Ya, I bet if there is the used values are horrible.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:58 AM   #66

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
A few things about EVs that are a reason to pause before buying one....With all the initial selling points currently touted we still get a steady dose of:

"Just wait, the infrastructure will get better..."
"Just wait, the charging technology and availability will improve..."
"Just wait, the batteries will get less expensive..."
"Just wait, any snags will be worked out by the people furiously working on them..."
"Just wait, the cost of the vehicles will all come down in the years ahead..."
"Just wait, battery re-cycling and replacement will all get figured out..."
"Just wait, the human and environmental exploitation for battery components will stop..."
"Just wait,....blah, blah, blah..."
ETC., ETC....

OK. I'll just wait and see....lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #67
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
A few things about EVs that are a reason to pause before buying one....With all the initial selling points currently touted we still get a steady dose of:

"Just wait, the infrastructure will get better..."
"Just wait, the charging technology and availability will improve..."
"Just wait, the batteries will get less expensive..."
"Just wait, any snags will be worked out by the people furiously working on them..."
"Just wait, the cost of the vehicles will all come down in the years ahead..."
"Just wait, battery re-cycling and replacement will all get figured out..."
"Just wait, the human and environmental exploitation for battery components will stop..."
"Just wait,....blah, blah, blah..."
ETC., ETC....

OK. I'll just wait and see....lol
LOL.... Spot On... Yep, you see all those talking points repeated over and over again in all these EV threads...! I'm with ya... I'll " Just Wait"
Old 03-27-2023, 09:04 AM   #68
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I'll leave this here...

Waaaa waaaaa waaaaaa Waaaaaaa Waaaaaaaa

No EV does that!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:17 AM   #69
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I'll leave this here...

Waaaa waaaaa waaaaaa Waaaaaaa Waaaaaaaa

No EV does that!
True. Does your Sharky ever get to the 5th waaaaaaaa, though? That might be unpostable speed territory I'm afraid , unless you're talking about road course experience.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #70
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
True. Does your Sharky ever get to the 5th waaaaaaaa, though? That might be unpostable speed territory I'm afraid , unless you're talking about road course experience.
Haha

With ZL1 power and tall gearing it is more like:

Waaaaaaa, 60mph, Waaaaaa, 84mph, and lift before I go to jail.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote