Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-31-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
2broke4zl1

Drives: 23 LT1 A10, 06 STI
does this look right?

Hey all I'm new here looking for your big knowledge on a 1ss,

I went to dealer Friday for a quote on a new Camaro with a 6.2L and auto trans for daily driving duties and occasional fun drag racing at the track.

I wanted cheaper trim with all the performance (drag racing) so I was thinking the 1ss would fit the bill but there seems to be missing performance stuff from the 2ss like the diff/trans cooler and the wider tires in the back and the salesman also asked if I wanted the performance dual exhaust? (thinking of asking him to throw that in) why doesn't a 1ss already have that? keeping the price down as much as possible is important, if it weren't I'd certainly order a ZL1 <3

attaching the quote for you to view for any helpful info/suggestions you might have

giving time for any manufacturer defects to pop up next year I'd like to do some upgrades to possibly get to 580ish wheel hp through a supercharger and any must have bolt on for my goal and wanting the simplest and least expensive way to have some reliability in that power range.

please give your opinions and thank you for any help!
Attached Images

2broke4zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
2broke4zl1

darn why is the quote sideways and hard to read?
Old 07-31-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
SkySerpent

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange LT1 M6
Looks like this is a quote for LT1 (1LZ) NOT a 1SS (3 trim levels LT1, 1SS, 2SS). Which means you don't have the engine, transmission, and diff coolers the 1SS and 2SS come with standard.

This does make for a lighter car though (~60lbs) for drag racing. You will have to buy new rims and tires as the LT1 comes with 245's all season all around. 1SS and 2SS comes with 275 rear summers.

My opinion. Get the 1SS. For the extra cost its worth having those coolers if you are going to be running the car hard and you get some decent tires for traction.

For the dual exhaust option I would have it added unless you are planning on upgrading the exhaust later. I love mine. 1ss doesn't have that standard.
SkySerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:05 PM   #4
2broke4zl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySerpent View Post
Looks like this is a quote for LT1 (1LZ) NOT a 1SS (3 trim levels LT1, 1SS, 2SS). Which means you don't have the engine, transmission, and diff coolers the 1SS and 2SS come with standard.

This does make for a lighter car though (~60lbs) for drag racing. You will have to buy new rims and tires as the LT1 comes with 245's all season all around. 1SS and 2SS comes with 275 rear summers.

My opinion. Get the 1SS. For the extra cost its worth having those coolers if you are going to be running the car hard and you get some decent tires for traction.

For the dual exhaust option I would have it added unless you are planning on upgrading the exhaust later. I love mine. 1ss doesn't have that standard.
hmm im not seeing LT1 on the sheet other than the engine option but i do see 1ss am i missing something?, so this would be a badged LT1 car? not sure what to look for other than 1ss like i see on the sheet, and im not sure the salesman does either lol he was trying to keep my price down maybe how i ended up with that quote/
Old 07-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
SkySerpent

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2broke4zl1 View Post
hmm im not seeing LT1 on the sheet other than the engine option but i do see 1ss am i missing something?, so this would be a badged LT1 car? not sure what to look for other than 1ss like i see on the sheet, and im not sure the salesman does either lol he was trying to keep my price down maybe how i ended up with that quote/

So the 1LZ/1SS I see on the build sheet is the number for the LT1 Trim level Camaro. Which is the cheaper V8. Since you asked for the cheapest he might've picked that option.

The other indication is your options on the car. You get 245 all season tires, Which only come on the LT1.

Go back to him and see if you can get a quote for the 1SS. Not all dealers are knowledgeable in all the cars they sell. At least from my experience.

Last edited by SkySerpent; 07-31-2022 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
SkySerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:49 PM   #6
2broke4zl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySerpent View Post
So the 1LZ/1SS I see on the build sheet is the number for the LT1 Trim level Camaro. Which is the cheaper V8. Since you asked for the cheapest he might've picked that option.

The other indication is your options on the car. You get 245 all season tires, Which only come on the LT1.

Go back to him and see if you can get a quote for the 1SS. Not all dealers are knowledgeable in all the cars they sell. At least from my experience.
ok thanks a bunch for the info that clears up my confusion, I will talk to him tomorrow and see what the 1SS with the better track stuff will cost. I might just stay with this LT1 option for the price, i cant see going to the track and beating on it much so i probably dont need the coolers but im often wrong about a lot of things.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:53 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
SkySerpent is correct, this is the 1AJ37 model aka 1LZ aka LT1. If you really want a 1SS, make your salesman change the order.

The LT1 is a fine trim, too, except it comes with skinnies and the lesser (V6) brakes in the rear, plus some of the cooling bits will also be missing as stated above. If that's no problem, go ahead and get yourself the lightest V8 6th generation Camaro.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 07-31-2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
You won't miss the diff cooler on the strip and the automatic has a tranny cooler no matter what model.

The 1LZ is an SS except pieces that Arpad_M listed. You also get the V6 instrument cluster. Other than that, it's all the same as an SS.

What you will need is bigger tires in the rear. Especially for 1320 duty.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:04 PM   #9
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
In addition to the parts mentioned above, the front end look is completely different between an LT1 and a 1/2SS. Make sure you know which one you prefer, in case you don't like one of the two. For a quick reference, the pic to the left under my user name is an SS front end, the one in 95 Imp's signature is an LT1.

You could also try to build what you want on chevrolet.com and email the dealer or print the configuration and take it to them if you're talking to them in person. The drawback to that is they still only show the config options for a 2022 and you'd be ordering a 2023, so the color options definitely aren't the same, and it may show you options they no longer offer.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
Yep, what you have on that order is an LT-1 with a 10-speed auto and zero options. It's grouped with the SS models because of the V-8. If that $2,3XX is the tax, then it looks like you are getting an MSRP deal. Not too bad for current times.

Mine is pretty much what yours would look like, I think Sharkskin may be a shade lighter toward silver, just without the black wheels/NPP exhaust/spoiler.
Attached Images

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis

Last edited by armycop71; 07-31-2022 at 07:30 PM.
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
ok thanks a bunch for the info that clears up my confusion, I will talk to him tomorrow and see what the 1SS with the better track stuff will cost. I might just stay with this LT1 option for the price, i cant see going to the track and beating on it much so i probably dont need the coolers but im often wrong about a lot of things.
Get the LT1, you will not need the extra coolers for drag racing and you will not get the ELSD, you will get a mechanical limited slip which is trouble free. The LT1 cooling system is more than capable and the 10 speed auto trans fluid is cooled thru the radiator and it comes with a engine oil cooler. I have 14k on my LT1 and have many passes under my belt at the 1/4 mile track... a very capable car. The all seasons will give you 12 months of great traction on the street, the summer tires will not. For the drag strip you should be getting dedicated drag wheel/ tire anyway which will be much better than any SS factory rear tire.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:22 PM   #12
2broke4zl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
SkySerpent is correct, this is the 1AJ37 model aka 1LZ aka LT1. If you really want a 1SS, make your salesman change the order.

The LT1 is a fine trim, too, except it comes with skinnies and the lesser (V6) brakes in the rear, plus some of the cooling bits will also be missing as stated above. If that's no problem, go ahead and get yourself the lightest V8 6th generation Camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
You won't miss the diff cooler on the strip and the automatic has a tranny cooler no matter what model.

The 1LZ is an SS except pieces that Arpad_M listed. You also get the V6 instrument cluster. Other than that, it's all the same as an SS.

What you will need is bigger tires in the rear. Especially for 1320 duty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
In addition to the parts mentioned above, the front end look is completely different between an LT1 and a 1/2SS. Make sure you know which one you prefer, in case you don't like one of the two. For a quick reference, the pic to the left under my user name is an SS front end, the one in 95 Imp's signature is an LT1.

You could also try to build what you want on chevrolet.com and email the dealer or print the configuration and take it to them if you're talking to them in person. The drawback to that is they still only show the config options for a 2022 and you'd be ordering a 2023, so the color options definitely aren't the same, and it may show you options they no longer offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
Yep, what you have on that order is an LT-1 with a 10-speed auto and zero options. It's grouped with the SS models because of the V-8. If that $2,3XX is the tax, then it looks like you are getting an MSRP deal. Not too bad for current times.

Mine is pretty much what yours would look like, I think Sharkskin may be a shade lighter toward silver, just without the black wheels/NPP exhaust/spoiler.
wow all this info is helping me a lot thanks a bunch! i think im good to go for the LT1 then, my only other curiosity is if it comes with launch control if anyone knows, i can live without it but i think it would be nice to have.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:11 PM   #13
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Get the LT1, you will not need the extra coolers for drag racing and you will not get the ELSD, you will get a mechanical limited slip which is trouble free. The LT1 cooling system is more than capable and the 10 speed auto trans fluid is cooled thru the radiator and it comes with a engine oil cooler. I have 14k on my LT1 and have many passes under my belt at the 1/4 mile track... a very capable car. The all seasons will give you 12 months of great traction on the street, the summer tires will not. For the drag strip you should be getting dedicated drag wheel/ tire anyway which will be much better than any SS factory rear tire.
I would argue that the all season 245 barely provide ANY great traction at all for 12 months out of the year.

Quote:
wow all this info is helping me a lot thanks a bunch! i think im good to go for the LT1 then, my only other curiosity is if it comes with launch control if anyone knows, i can live without it but i think it would be nice to have.
It comes with launch control, and usually launch control provides slower ETs than not using launch control.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:24 PM   #14
2broke4zl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I would argue that the all season 245 barely provide ANY great traction at all for 12 months out of the year.

It comes with launch control, and usually launch control provides slower ETs than not using launch control.
ok cool, maybe with the stock all season tires it possibly may help on the street i think??? well see then but I will get some street legal drag wheels/tires for the track though.