Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
'Maro

Drives: 2016 2SS
Carpet swap and sound deadener

I picked up a 2016 2SS Camaro 2 weeks ago now. I bought it with 7,000 miles and so far I love the car! Since I will be dailying the car, I had my concerns with my ability to keep the grey carpet grey. Plus, i think the black carpet will really make the 2 tone interior stand out more.
While I was swapping carpet I decided that was the perfect time to throw some sound deadener in as well. Again as this is my new DD, the large amount of constant white noise was annoying. Don't get me wrong though, I applaud Chevrolet for sacrificing creature comforts in the pursuit of performance! I used the 50mil NOICO mat you can purchase on Amazon. I bought 100 square feet.

** Disconnect the battery for at least 10mins before unplugging any harness/airbags**

So this is what I started with

There are 2 T50 Torx bolts that hold the front seats in. Once you move the seat all the way forward you will have access to them.

The front of the seats are retained by "claws" that engage the floor of the car. Once the rear bolts have been removed simply lift upwards on the rear of the seats while rolling towards the front of the car. This will disengage the front "claws".

There is a harness under the sea t that must be disconnected before you try to remove the seat. I didn't take a pic, but it has a black plastic handle on the connector that you simply grab and flip backwards to disengage the connector. Once done, youll be left with this.

I've read alot of people asking how to remove the back seat. Below should answer all questions.
The rear seat back is retained by 2 spring pins thatr nest into 2 U shaped slots on the car. First you need to pull the flip down lever to disengage the seat back latch. Then you need to simply pull upwards. The springs hold a little tension onto the vehicle brackets, but virtually no additional force is required.

Seat post/springs

Vehicle slots

The seat bottom however, is a large pain in the @55!! There is nothing that retains the rear of the seat cushion. There is a small wire frame that runs the perimeter of the seat and has 2 long U-bend posts that engage clips in the floor on the front edge of the seat. I'm a fairly strong guy and couldn't get the clips to release by hand. I ended up using 2 short prybars wrapped in microfiber cloths on each side of the retainers.

Additionally, I have also read alot of people discussing the actual weight of the rear seat with regard to the seat delete kit. Luckily I have access to a calibrated scale and took these

Once the pass side seat is out, its time to move onto the interior components.
The door sill are held in by 5 spring clips. A sharp short pull will release them.

The pedal has a single bolt that is hidden under a rubber cap. Pull the cap out and remove the bolt. The lower portion of the pedal is retained by another "claw" type fastener. Pull the pedal towards the rear of the car to release it from the floor.

The cover over the seat belt guide just pops off as well as the "airbag" badge above it. There is a screw hidden behind both "airbag" badges on each side of the car.

Once the screws are removed the panels are retained by metal spring clips. sharp pulls will release them.

The rearmost panels will also engage clips on th window edge and slots on the rear dash.

The large rear side panels are retained by 8 metal spring clips. They are very strong and a re a pin to release.

Be sure to unhook the speaker before taking the panel out of the car.

After the panel is out, you'll be left with this. The black piece is a fiber/foam sound blocker since that cavity is open to the fender well of the car. It is retained by 4 plastic xmas tree fasteners.

To get the rear carpet out, you will need to loosen the center console. ( I was unable to remove it completely because of the inability to release the automatic shift knob from the shifter post). There are 6 bolts total that hold the console to the car. The first 2 are behind caps on the rear side of the console. A small flat head will release the caps. The other 4 are behind the knee pads. A sharp upwards pull on the pads will release the plastic retainers and allow access to the fasteners.

By lifting up on the rear of the console you will be able to remove the rear carpet. The front carpets have a single plastic xmas tree fastener on the door sill under the weatherstripping. Once removed, the caret will lift out. Each floor board has a foam spacer which simply sits on the floor.

'Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Great write up! Could you post up the passenger seat weight?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
'Maro

Finally, onto the "fun" stuff!

All surfaces were cleaned with denatured alcohol prior to applying the sound deadener.

This is what the cavity behind the rear panel look like. Its open to the exterior panel of the car.

I did find a small square of factory sound deadener buried deep in the rear fender area!! There must have been some weird resonance coming from back there.

This is where the first box of 50sqft of NOICO ran out. If I had done less in the rear area of the car I bet the single box would have been enough to do the interior.

I know there was concern about the additional weight the deadener would add so I measured that too. (Subtract some weight for the box)

Now that all the matting has been laid down, its time to re-install everything!

I really like the look of the grey seats on the black carpet. I also like the console lines don't stand out as much on the black carpet. It was a terribly long day however. I started at 9am and took this photo at 1015pm. (I did take a ~20 min lunch) Today im sore and my hands have countless papercut style tiny lacerations all over them. It is phenomenally quieter inside now though. I still need to do the door as a lot of road noise is now noticeable coming through them, but that will be the next project. I ended up using 1.25 packs of deadener or roughly 62sqft.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
BowtieRocket

I like the darker carpet as well. What does the replacement carpet cost?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
camex

Drives: Sold
Looks much better!
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
definitely way better!!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Block8head

Drives: 2016 Vert 2SS/2018 ZL1 Vert Red Hot
looks great!
Block8head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
'Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
Great write up! Could you post up the passenger seat weight?
Sorry, I didn't weigh the front seats. Lifting them in and out i would guess around 40# though.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
'Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
I like the darker carpet as well. What does the replacement carpet cost?
The set is roughly 500 on GMpartsdirect. I found this takeout set on ebay for 150!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Awesome awesome awesome right up!
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
BowtieRocket

Cool, thanks for the replies
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Nice write up. Used Noico on mine as well. Made a big difference. Planned on doing the doors the week after I did my interior, that was about 11 months ago.This has made me want to finish the job, Please post how it sounds after you do your doors. I can't seem to find the time to get it done. Great pics as well.

Last edited by chris227; 03-13-2017 at 12:31 AM.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #13
Nothwinds

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro
What a great write up! I also think the black carpet looks much better.
Nothwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #14
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Are those factory seat colors?? Those are sick!!
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote