Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the ice mode brake issue with your ZLE on the track
Yes 2 9.52%
No 19 90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2023, 12:55 PM   #43
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I use VIR turn 1 as a good reference point. I can brake with the hawks and carbotech just before the 4 marker on street tires and at the 4 marker on slicks.
That’s good to know, I am wary of losing too much stopping power and I am mostly trying to reduce initial bite. Having said that, I have had ice mode hard pedal partway through the braking zone upon turn in as well, but that was only once.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:37 PM   #44
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
That’s good to know, I am wary of losing too much stopping power and I am mostly trying to reduce initial bite. Having said that, I have had ice mode hard pedal partway through the braking zone upon turn in as well, but that was only once.
I see where you're coming from but I'm not sure that specifically will help/hurt anything with ice mode issue(At least from an SS 1LE perspective). On my SS 1LE I've had ICE mode 3 times(over 2 years). It's happened with carbotech XP12's all around and also with Hawk 60's at the front and 12's at the back. I haven't had it happen yet with Hawk 60's all around.

From my experience it's only happened on corners where the car is cresting over a hill or on corners with a lot of trail braking where the car is really leaning on one side.

It happens so infrequently though that it really hasn't been an issue for me long term. When it has happened I can just kind of abort the corner/lap and use an extra 10-15 feet to brake into the corner.(missing the apex) The pedal feels really hard at first and the car feels like it wont slow down but it comes back deeper in the braking zone.

I've aborted once into the grass but the other 2 times I just completely missed the apex but was able to keep it on track. The one time I aborted (first time I had ice mode) I actually would have been fine had I stayed on the track, but the feeling of no stopping power at first made me take the out.

It's weird though because I've driven on tracks like Roebling road which every corner is trail braking and I've never had a hint of ICE mode there.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:32 PM   #45
GunMetalGrey

Thanks for everybody’s input, I’m testing the Cabotech, XP10s on Saturday… they definitely have less initial bite when driving on the street, so I am optimistic I won’t need to sell my car and buy a Mercedes AMGGTS.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-06-2023 at 01:43 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 01:47 PM   #46
GunMetalGrey

So far so good, only got five sessions of a possible nine in due to a flat tire, however, it was the first time in two years that I have not had ice mode hard pedal within the first half of a track day

Thanks again for everybody’s input, much appreciated!
Old 10-12-2023, 09:24 PM   #47
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Great to hear!!!
Old 11-10-2023, 10:10 AM   #48
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I heard from a Pro driver that ZLE does not have ICE Mode.

Bill Wise (ZLE development engineer) specifically worked on increasing the braking threshold past the usual parameters.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:46 PM   #49
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
I heard from a Pro driver that ZLE does not have ICE Mode.

Bill Wise (ZLE development engineer) specifically worked on increasing the braking threshold past the usual parameters.
Perhaps he meant totally bone stock?