Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 01-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #99
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
So. I've been thinking about this A LOT for the past few months, and I have decided that my next car will be electric. But I'm keeping my Camaro forever. Nothing can replace what it means to me or how much I enjoy it.
I am someone who obsessively loves my current V8 stick shift car. That being said, I would really like to see what an electric Camaro can be. I hope Al O. has been overseeing that. Guess we'll find out.
Agreed! I miss Al O also. And I plan to keep my LT1 M6 until I move on. I won't be driving a battery car for fun. But I can listen to an audio book while charging up for the next 200 miles of a trip.

Gasoline will be going away. But, the plans already are to make America the biggest supplier of EV vehicles which will create Jobs!! Here in the US with unions for Americans! I think everyone here can get behind this EV opportunity. I think GM is on board with that. And also fixiing our highways and infrastructure. More jobs!!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #100
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Agreed! I miss Al O also. And I plan to keep my LT1 M6 until I move on. I won't be driving a battery car for fun. But I can listen to an audio book while charging up for the next 200 miles of a trip.

Gasoline will be going away. But, the plans already are to make America the biggest supplier of EV vehicles which will create Jobs!! Here in the US with unions for Americans! I think everyone here can get behind this EV opportunity. I think GM is on board with that. And also fixiing our highways and infrastructure. More jobs!!
I hope you are just being sarcastic, Fraxum.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
Old 01-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #101
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I waiver back and forth on this. On one hand GM has a huge opportunity to bring an affordable electric sports car to the market. That can be a successful move if they are a front runner.

On the other hand I dunno how I feel about them calling it a Camaro. I think they'd be better served giving it an all new name and starting a new legacy. However I don't see them selling it side by side with an internal combustion Camaro. The Camaro (as we know it) is done.

I hope they don't give it a fake V8 sound though. I'm actually ok with some kind of fake sound, but I'd rather it sound a turbine engine or some shit. Just don't make it sound like any other internal combustion engine you typically find in a car.

EDIT: For what it's worth I will seriously consider the new car if it's a better coupe. As much as I love my Camaro, I don't think I'll be purchasing another without few more adjustments--namely a little more back seat legroom and a better trunk opening (I would love a liftback like 3rd gen and 4th gen). Also GM needs to give it better visibility if they want it to sell. Yes, we all learned to deal with the visiblity, but we are an exception. You average shopper is gonna jump in the car, say I can't see shit, and jump out. They aren't going to give it a chance.

Last edited by Malbjey; 01-26-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #102
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I waiver back and forth on this. On one hand GM has a huge opportunity to bring an affordable electric sports car to the market. That can be a successful move if they are a front runner.

On the other hand I dunno how I feel about them calling it a Camaro. I think they'd be better served giving it an all new name and starting a new legacy. However I don't see them selling it side by side with an internal combustion Camaro. The Camaro (as we know it) is done.

I hope they don't give it a fake V8 sound though. I'm actually ok with some kind of fake sound, but I'd rather it sound a turbine engine or some shit. Just don't make it sound like any other internal combustion engine you typically find in a car.

EDIT: For what it's worth I will seriously consider the new car if it's a better coupe. As much as I love my Camaro, I don't think I'll be purchasing another without few more adjustments--namely a little more back seat legroom and a better trunk opening (I would love a liftback like 3rd gen and 4th gen). Also GM needs to give it better visibility if they want it to sell. Yes, we all learned to deal with the visiblity, but we are an exception. You average shopper is gonna jump in the car, say I can't see shit, and jump out. They aren't going to give it a chance.
Sounds like you need a Camry
Old 01-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #103
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Sounds like you need a Camry

Or or or a Dodge Challenger, which has pretty much everything I mentioned and has been killing the Camaro in sales.

I just don't want a FCA product.

If Toyota mad a RWD electric sports car with everything I mentioned I would be all over it.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #104
FarmerFran

Quote:
Or or or a Dodge Challenger, which has pretty much everything I mentioned and has been killing the Camaro in sales.

If Toyota mad a RWD electric sports car with everything I mentioned I would be all over it.
And a 392 Challenger weighs about 4400lbs. 2 different cars for 2 different things.

And visibility is not better and we can have a whole different discussion about why sales of Challenger are better. Hell the RAM is out selling the Silverado.

ANNNNNNNDDD, Challenger has no convertible
Old 01-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #105
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:

How can anyone call the Challenger a sports car? Really, the Camaro isn't supposed to be either, just a sporty coupe, and the Challenger doesn't even fit that. It's an affordable-ish personal luxury coupe that markets it's muscle editions well.

You're from Pittsburgh. Do you actually enjoy that car on tighter back roads? A sporty coupe has to be able to do that. Good luck with a Challenger or something pricey with 500+ lbs. of dead weight (But, it's low-CG!).

Last edited by genxer; 01-26-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added more
Old 01-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #106
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
And a 392 Challenger weighs about 4400lbs. 2 different cars for 2 different things.

And visibility is not better and we can have a whole different discussion about why sales of Challenger are better. Hell the RAM is out selling the Silverado.

ANNNNNNNDDD, Challenger has no convertible

If we're talking electric sports cars then the weight is going up. That seems to be a given with today's technology.

An electric Camaro (or whatever) may weigh as much as a current gen Challenger. I'd still take the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
How can anyone call the Challenger a sports car? Really, the Camaro isn't supposed to be either, just a sporty coupe, and the Challenger doesn't even fit that. It's an affordable-ish personal luxury coupe that markets it's muscle editions well.

Isn't drag racing a sport? Muscle cars have been lumped in with sports cars since forever.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #107
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
If we're talking electric sports cars then the weight is going up. That seems to be a given with today's technology.

An electric Camaro (or whatever) may weigh as much as a current gen Challenger. I'd still take the Camaro.

Isn't drag racing a sport? Muscle cars have been lumped in with sports cars since forever.
The sports car context is from road racing, small to GT 2-seaters.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #108
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I think everyone here can get behind this EV opportunity.
You obviously haven't read a single thing many of us have written on these forums.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #109
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
The Camaro gaining weight is no problem in this era. The Mach E is mid 4000s and it's said to handle much better than the regular Mustang. The Taycan weights near 5000 lbs, yet it handles like any other Porsche. The ZL1 weighs 4100 pounds, and it handles just fine. A 4000 lbs EV would be no different, and the electric motor acceleration would compensate for any weight gain.

While I am not entirely comfortable with the idea GM is heading with the new Camaro, I would say I am ready to embrace the future. But, I am not sure who would want to live in a future where you can't easily mod a Camaro.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #110
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I'd be onboard for a test drive with a few caveats:

* Has to look the part
* Has to perform; power, speed, twisties
* Respectable range.

If I like it, I'm in. If it's some goofy s***box that rings of anime, hard pass.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:55 PM   #111
FarmerFran

Quote:

I am not starting trouble with you, I should have said that from the get-go. Just good debate.

As for electric "sports cars" yes the weight will go up but because of the CG they can still handle very well vs a traditional engine car of same weight
Old 01-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #112
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
The Camaro gaining weight is no problem in this era. The Mach E is mid 4000s and it's said to handle much better than the regular Mustang. The Taycan weights near 5000 lbs, yet it handles like any other Porsche. The ZL1 weighs 4100 pounds, and it handles just fine. A 4000 lbs EV would be no different, and the electric motor acceleration would compensate for any weight gain.

While I am not entirely comfortable with the idea GM is heading with the new Camaro, I would say I am ready to embrace the future. But, I am not sure who would want to live in a future where you can't easily mod a Camaro.
Because of the CG.

Closed Thread