Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #15
CMCamaro

Drives: 2022 Silverado, 3.0 diesel
Curious to see first impressions and if anyone will get the check engine light like on the aFe.

Wishlist:
- GMPP CAI
- Window Tint
- Catback system TBD
CMCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #16
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCamaro View Post
Curious to see first impressions and if anyone will get the check engine light like on the aFe.
I've yet to hear about the light coming on in the aFe unit that isn't due to some air leak due to an install issue. Also, I've been running it for a while now and have not thrown any codes. Though i am running a Trifecta tune (had it long before getting the aFe intake).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
Takes 20mins to remove but I've never heard of dealers voiding warranty because of an intake. Especially from an experienced company like K&N. I had their filter on my mazdaspeed3 for years and took it in to the dealer many times and for repairs and they never even questioned me once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right from K&N site

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

And this is just for using their air filters - Whole air intake is not even mentioned.

just saying unless you know your dealer is mod friendly having to fight with a big company on a technicality is probably no fun.

So I will pay the extra $200 for the piece of mind that I never have to worry about it.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Right from K&N site

And this is just for using their air filters - Whole air intake is not even mentioned.

just saying unless you know your dealer is mod friendly having to fight with a big company on a technicality is probably no fun.

So I will pay the extra $200 for the piece of mind that I never have to worry about it.
Exactly! I hear a lot of people say well I will just replace before I go to the dealer. Well what if you breakdown somewhere? No thanks. I've seen the headaches people have trying to use warranty with mods in place. I don't want any part of that.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #19
TatsuSensei

Drives: 2016 RS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
Great man, good for you, can we expect maybe a review or your thoughts? Maybe a video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will attempt a video, but I will give my thoughts. I am very interested to hear what it sounds like.
TatsuSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #20
TatsuSensei

Drives: 2016 RS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Right from K&N site

I guess it always comes down to this....

Please note that the FTC requires the "warrantor" (this would, generally, be your motor vehicle manufacturer) to "demonstrate" that the defect in or damage to your vehicle was caused by your installation or use of a K&N air or oil filter, or other "unauthorized" part, before a warranty claim can be denied.
TatsuSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #21
Gen6Rs

Drives: 16 black RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatsuSensei View Post
Well, it sure does look nice too. Ordered. Will be here Friday and installed this weekend.
let us know how it goes
Gen6Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #22
Gen6Rs

Drives: 16 black RS
this is what they said about the dyno numbers...

Hello,

Thank you for contacting K&N. The reason we use 2nd gear is because any of the other gears we would have to be going around 40-50 miles per hour. We use a low MPH dyno. At around 2k rpm we floor the throttle in 2nd gear all the way to redline or right before then let off. From there we get the calculations.
Gen6Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #23
cellsafemode

warranty worry warts. Dont understand their posts. Yes, if you look at your car the wrong way you could have to fight to get any warranty work done. They're written so that you will have to fight if you literally do anything mechanical/electrical to the car. So if that's a concern of yours, leave your car stock for the next 3-5 years. Not sure what the point of chiming in to mod forum posts to say so is. It contributes nothing to the conversation.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #24
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
warranty worry warts. Dont understand their posts. Yes, if you look at your car the wrong way you could have to fight to get any warranty work done. They're written so that you will have to fight if you literally do anything mechanical/electrical to the car. So if that's a concern of yours, leave your car stock for the next 3-5 years. Not sure what the point of chiming in to mod forum posts to say so is. It contributes nothing to the conversation.

Oh because someone said something about the Chevy performance one costing so much more so was just explaining a benefit and why I thought it was worth it to buy it. Piece of mind def has value.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #25
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
The question I have been pondering is this: if the GM intake requires a tune, why don't the other intakes?

Could it be that the non-GM intakes aren't going an extra step that might result in higher HP?

Just posing the question in case anyone knows.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #26
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
Let me just say the only reason the Chevy performance intake is higher is it's a dealer item that's it not because of the warranty or its better then the rest it's Chevy. The reason AFE is over 400 is all their intakes are over 400 their just expensive. Now I had this K&N design in my Tahoe, made a night and day difference, didn't care about hp but the throttle response and the sound was amazing. I didn't like the gasket and the flimsy plastic walls, the gasket would never stay on and the ends of the walls started to melt now it did take a long time for this to happen, had the truck 14 years bought the intake day after i brought home. I would of jumped on this intake if it was a solid box like the v8, come on K&N you're better then this. Oh great price, on target with the rest.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #27
pjz1082

I want to like this but it looks poorly made. The price is decent...but even at $300 i would expect better quality. I'm no engineer but I would imagine heat-soak will be a major issue. I guess if you're not too serious about it and just want the sound it's a good deal.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #28
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
Oh my god another person worried about HP

Let me ask you all HP nuts a question, If you take a deep breath do you run faster?

All the tune is for is do adjust the computer so it doesn't throw the CEL code that is its main purpose.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote