Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #1
trailbrake_ss

Drives: 2012 Chevy Impala
Would you buy it?

So I have been looking at a few LLT V6 Camaros mileage ranging from 100k up to about about 150k max. I know some LLT engines had chain issues. My question is if it had no codes all the monitors set and ran good would you buy an early LLT? From the research I did on this website it looks like most failures if they happen around 50k to 90k? Anyway I appreciate any advise. Oh I am aware the LFX does not have this issue.
trailbrake_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:16 AM   #2
DRC69

Drives: 2011 RS 2LT
Hi,
I sure like my LLT. But it only has maybe 34K on it. I like the LFX intake setup but no long-tube headers. But I think condition is everything plus the right price.
Hope you find something you really like. Enjoy.
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:18 AM   #3
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
no I wouldn't buy it. Its missing 2 cylinders.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:42 PM   #4
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. I’ve owned a 2011 2LT and got rid of it due to white paint flaking. I now have a 2010 2LT and happy with it. Havent had any “real” issues other than my ac evaporator that is now leaking. Other than that just basic maintenance. Don’t worry about what others say. The 2LT ain’t no slouch and by todays standards its faster than some V8's back in the 90's and early 2000's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:47 PM   #5
trailbrake_ss

Drives: 2012 Chevy Impala
Alright I appreciate the advise. I did see headers for the LLT and watched some dyno videos very impressive what they can wring out of these with long tubes and a tune.
trailbrake_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:57 PM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
If I were looking for just a commuter car/DD a well cared for early V6 would probably be ok but the lower miles the better. If I was thinking about doing any type of mods or hot rodding I'd save up for a nice SS car.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:22 PM   #7
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Why take a chance? Plenty of LFX cars out there. My wifes 2LT has 155k on it and we have done nothing but basic maintenance to it. It runs dam good too. I'm sure the earlier LLT were fine new if the oil level was maintained. The trouble with these engines is they use some oil and if you let it run a qt down the 1st thing that takes a hit is the timing chains. I run a qt over full since new and have never had any issues. Would worry me buying a older higher mileage car just for the oil usage thing.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:45 PM   #8
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbrake_ss View Post
Alright I appreciate the advise. I did see headers for the LLT and watched some dyno videos very impressive what they can wring out of these with long tubes and a tune.

I know right?!! I have seen some people post their LLT's in the 400HP range with certain mods which is what an SS produced during those years. I plan to get BBK long tube headers for my LLT down the road. I actually purchased the car with around 73k miles on it if I'm not mistaken about almost 8 years ago give or take. I now have about 100300 miles on it. It has done me well other than the freakin AC evaporator that took a dump and I now have to have the dash removed to replace. It's all wear and tear so I consider myself blessed so far.

On a side note, I have a 3.91 rear end sitting in the garage with an SS driveshaft and rear hub assembly as well that I plan to install on my LLT. I don't care what anyone says. I enjoy this car and will continue to do so.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I know right?!! I have seen some people post their LLT's in the 400HP range with certain mods which is what an SS produced during those years. I plan to get BBK long tube headers for my LLT down the road. I actually purchased the car with around 73k miles on it if I'm not mistaken about almost 8 years ago give or take. I now have about 100300 miles on it. It has done me well other than the freakin AC evaporator that took a dump and I now have to have the dash removed to replace. It's all wear and tear so I consider myself blessed so far.

On a side note, I have a 3.91 rear end sitting in the garage with an SS driveshaft and rear hub assembly as well that I plan to install on my LLT. I don't care what anyone says. I enjoy this car and will continue to do so.
Hell yeah man, I love that attitude. I’ve not had a LS or LT car but it’s cool to see how some of you guys are equally if not more passionate about them as us V8 guys are about ours. That’s a genuine compliment not a smart ass remark.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:49 PM   #10
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Hell yeah man, I love that attitude. I’ve not had a LS or LT car but it’s cool to see how some of you guys are equally if not more passionate about them as us V8 guys are about ours. That’s a genuine compliment not a smart ass remark.

Thank you for that comment! Not too many people feel the way you do and talk down on us V6 guys... I appreciate what you are saying! I have owned several V8's during my life.. an 89 IROC Z vert with a 305 TPI, an 87 IROC Z with a 350 TPI as well as an 87 Corvette Roadster. I have had my share of fun and I feel that my V6 LLT out performs all of these vehicles I have owned. Especially with the lowering and handling suspension I put on the car as well as the HP numbers it produces from what I am used to driving before I entered the 5th Gen Camaro world. Thank you again!

Old 02-27-2024, 06:25 AM   #11
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
My LY7 3.6L in my G8 is a 260hp version and its pretty peppy for a V6.

They like frequent oil changes and I think using synthetic helps.

I have 278,000 kms or 173,000 miles on the stock timing chain.

One owner to 250k and he used semi synthetic and did a lot of highway=freeway miles.

They have a very small oil filter so regular changes are must.

I think most chain failures are from poor maintenance and excessive abuse.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:15 AM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the V6 is plenty unless youre going drab racing.a friend of mine has an SS and he used to like telling people when they looked at our two cars"i have the V8".hes only 5 ft 2 and 130# and im 6ft2 and 230,so i just look down at him and tell him "i am the V8".
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:37 AM   #13
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
For what it's worth, I had a 2014 2LT RS LFX automatic and loved it. It had waaaaay more power than i could ever use legally, was beautiful, fun to drive - absolutely no complaints.

But I wanted a convertible, so I drove 400 miles to trade it in on a used 2014 2SS M6 vert with 4K miles. Now I own the only car I've ever owned that was built exactly the way I would have ordered it from the factory. I LOVE IT!

Point is, to me the V6 is an awesome car in every way - full stop - and if mine had been a convertible, I would have kept it forever.

Attached is the only photo I have of the two cars together. :-)
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2024, 08:10 AM   #14
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-8 View Post
I had a 2014 2LT RS LFX automatic and loved it. It had waaaaay more power than i could ever use legally
THIS

I love my SS, but I previously had a 2LT and loved it too. I know if you're talking about an 87 Camaro with the 2.8l engine, that it was 17 second dog. It had ~125hp. But the LLT and LFX have enough power to be in the 14s stock. That's damned impressive. Besides, they were fast enough to get me two speeding tickets in one day.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote