#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-20-2023, 10:09 PM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
You missed the entire point and make up scenarios that only exist in you head. You are going off on multiple tangents. You are quite an interesting individual.
Matt gave detailed, well researched answers with relevant links, valuable information that many would be willing to pay for, and all you do is deflect and accuse him of condescension.

There was nothing personal or ad hominem in his answers, and they are 100% relevant to your original and second posts in this thread. What is the entire point he "missed"?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:27 PM   #16
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
MSQUARED is offering friendly advice. None of his posts are even slightly condescending in tone.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:48 AM   #17
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
I think its over blown as well. Ive sanded the rust off and done anti sieze or even extremely thin layer of silicon high temp brake grease on the hub and ive never had a single isssue (done this since 2019 on three gen6 camaros). I track my cars too. Yes too much will be a bad idea i think its obvious but feel the concern is bit over blown. Always good to share info though
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:02 AM   #18
NealC

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
The "coating" is not on brake disk where the wheel attaches. It's where the rust is in the picture. So that means the WHOLE discussion was completely flawed. I don't give a darn about someone pontificating and giving advise only to make them feel important like they are talking to subordinates. The post never asked for anyone's advice. Keep it to yourself. The issue with posts like this is the lack of respect that one should give when interacting face to face. I would love to have this conversation face to face.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #19
NealC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
MSQUARED is offering friendly advice. None of his posts are even slightly condescending in tone.
You and I highly disagree.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #20
NealC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Matt gave detailed, well researched answers with relevant links, valuable information that many would be willing to pay for, and all you do is deflect and accuse him of condescension.

There was nothing personal or ad hominem in his answers, and they are 100% relevant to your original and second posts in this thread. What is the entire point he "missed"?
You need to follow the thread a little better. I never said it was personal, just condescending and that comment was well before his Google searches.

That valuable information is what I do for a living so please save me your opinions of what I would pay for.

The point is I never asked for advise. I never said I was going to coat the brake disk. So why is there a need to tell me how to take of my property other than to make themselves feel important. I don't give a flip about him nor is advice.

One of the comments was "Uncoated iron or steel rusts. That's just the way it is. You don't want to put anything on there, or it could find its way onto the hub face and drastically reduce the friction that holds the wheel in place. Don't worry about the rust." No shxt Sherlock, steel rusts. And if I want an easily maintained vehicle, it's none of his business to tell me not to worry about. I can care less about someone who gives this type of response.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2023, 10:12 AM   #21
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
You need to follow the thread a little better. I never said it was personal, just condescending and that comment was well before his Google searches.

That valuable information is what I do for a living so please save me your opinions of what I would pay for.

The point is I never asked for advise. I never said I was going to coat the brake disk. So why is there a need to tell me how to take of my property other than to make themselves feel important. I don't give a flip about him nor is advice.

One of the comments was "Uncoated iron or steel rusts. That's just the way it is. You don't want to put anything on there, or it could find its way onto the hub face and drastically reduce the friction that holds the wheel in place. Don't worry about the rust." No shxt Sherlock, steel rusts. And if I want an easily maintained vehicle, it's none of his business to tell me not to worry about. I can care less about someone who gives this type of response.

Merry Christmas
This is a public forum thread and not your personal DM or email discussion. If he did the same in private messaging, and especially having known you for a while, you would have a point, but he did not.

There is no way for a poster to divine who other members or what their backgrounds are, so saying his detailed responses are condescending because you already know all these things is disingenuous, because 1) he simply cannot know how much of an expert you are, even after you briefly mention your previous work with farm equipment and 2) there may be others reading the thread who know much less or have little to no experience and will find it useful.

Your responses also don't account for the truth that electronic communication sucks by definition, with only an extremely narrow signal band and almost no metacommunication, so reading attitudes (condescension) into whatever people say should be our last thought, I always try to chalk any discomfort up to the channel first and people's ill will or bad attitude last.

I will say, however, that he erred on the side of being a bit more excessive in detail, and while there might be a little bit of personal gratification in providing such answers, then again, I see no problem with that, we aren't information delivery biorobots. In addition, he has made over 1300 posts here, many of which were highly educational to me personally as well, and he certainly doesn't look like a teenager seeking validation from random people on the internet.

Merry Christmas to you as well

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #22
NealC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is a public forum thread and not your personal DM or email discussion. If he did the same in private messaging, and especially having known you for a while, you would have a point, but he did not.

There is no way for a poster to divine who other members or what their backgrounds are, so saying his detailed responses are condescending because you already know all these things is disingenuous, because 1) he simply cannot know how much of an expert you are, even after you briefly mention your previous work with farm equipment and 2) there may be others reading the thread who know much less or have little to no experience and will find it useful.

Your responses also don't account for the truth that electronic communication sucks by definition, with only an extremely narrow signal band and almost no metacommunication, so reading attitudes (condescension) into whatever people say should be our last thought, I always try to chalk any discomfort up to the channel first and people's ill will or bad attitude last.

I will say, however, that he erred on the side of being a bit more excessive in detail, and while there might be a little bit of personal gratification in providing such answers, then again, I see no problem with that, we aren't information delivery biorobots. In addition, he has made over 1300 posts here, many of which were highly educational to me personally as well, and he certainly doesn't look like a teenager seeking validation from random people on the internet.

Merry Christmas to you as well
Ahh, you spent so much time working on your reply. How sweet of you. I still don't care about your opinion.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:37 PM   #23
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Man, there's a serious lack of clarity going on here. The OP first asked people if it's normal to have rust on the steel hub pilot; but when I replied that it's normal for untreated steel to rust his response was "No shit Sherlock." Then the OP talked about "those hubs may need to come off someday," and others were chiming in about the hub/disk/wheel mating surfaces. That's why I thought we were discussing those areas.

If all we're talking about is the rusty hub pilot, that has nothing to do with either the wheel or the hub needing to be removed from the car someday. If we're just talking about looks, then feel free to coat just the pilot area (inside or out) with whatever you want, but be sparing. Of course, I said that way back in Post #9, so that could have been the end of the discussion, but that's when i was told I was being condescending and the OP started arguing about paint or lubricant on the mating surfaces. I don't think he's talking about the halfshaft threads or splines: although those do have to do with removing the hub, the OP has been talking about paint and those would obviously be terrible places for paint! Plus, the hub and halfshaft are obviously two different things, and the OP was discussing the rust on all four hubs whereas only two of them have halfshafts.

At this point, I don't think it's clear at all what the OP's aims for this thread actually ever were, and I don't think it's clear what actual part of the hub he's talking about "coating." He says he's an expert in this field and already knows that steel rusts, but still asked if it's normal for hubs to rust in the pilot area; and he doesn't any want advice about coatings. So what was the point in the first place?
Old 12-21-2023, 04:01 PM   #24
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This is a product I have used on boat trailers. Supposedly also stays put at high rpms.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-TP...%2C171&sr=8-11
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #25
NealC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This is a product I have used on boat trailers. Supposedly also stays put at high rpms.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-TP...%2C171&sr=8-11
Looks like some good stuff. I will clean the hubs up and try that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #26
NealC

I have never driven my Camaro in the rain (not hard to do in Tucson), I thought there would be zero rust on that hub. Also, as the wheel spins, there are channels behind the wheels for water to spin away. The only time water could get back there is when I wash the car. I just use a hose so no high pressure pushing the water into that hub.

I do drive my Silverado in the rain which is a couple of years old. I didn't remember seeing rust in the hub on the front (4WD). So I pulled the wheel and it looked like this. They looked perfect.

So I'm not sure when those hubs got rusty on the Camaro but I will probably clean them up and coat them. They may have just come that way when I bought the car but I don't want that rust to continue. I never needed a new bearing/hub but I have had half shafts in my older pickups go out. I would need to pull that hub to put in a new half shaft. Rust can make removing those hubs a difficult.

I attached the original post picture of the rusty Camaro hub as well.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #27
NealC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Man, there's a serious lack of clarity going on here. The OP first asked people if it's normal to have rust on the steel hub pilot; but when I replied that it's normal for untreated steel to rust his response was "No shit Sherlock." Then the OP talked about "those hubs may need to come off someday," and others were chiming in about the hub/disk/wheel mating surfaces. That's why I thought we were discussing those areas.

If all we're talking about is the rusty hub pilot, that has nothing to do with either the wheel or the hub needing to be removed from the car someday. If we're just talking about looks, then feel free to coat just the pilot area (inside or out) with whatever you want, but be sparing. Of course, I said that way back in Post #9, so that could have been the end of the discussion, but that's when i was told I was being condescending and the OP started arguing about paint or lubricant on the mating surfaces. I don't think he's talking about the halfshaft threads or splines: although those do have to do with removing the hub, the OP has been talking about paint and those would obviously be terrible places for paint! Plus, the hub and halfshaft are obviously two different things, and the OP was discussing the rust on all four hubs whereas only two of them have halfshafts.

At this point, I don't think it's clear at all what the OP's aims for this thread actually ever were, and I don't think it's clear what actual part of the hub he's talking about "coating." He says he's an expert in this field and already knows that steel rusts, but still asked if it's normal for hubs to rust in the pilot area; and he doesn't any want advice about coatings. So what was the point in the first place?
Dude, how bad did you get picked on in high school? I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:17 PM   #28
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
I never needed a new bearing/hub but I have had half shafts in my older pickups go out. I would need to pull that hub to put in a new half shaft. Rust can make removing those hubs a difficult.
You don't need to remove the hub to replace the half shaft: you unbolt the two upper suspension links from the knuckle, remove the large drive shaft nut, and press the half shaft out of the hub using a hub puller while the hub remains installed on the upright and lower suspension. And if you do want to remove the hub from the knuckle - either front or rear - then the rust you are showing in the pictures wouldn't hinder that job.