Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
"Mod" friendly dealer in DFW (Texas)

Hello all ......

I am potentially looking at purchasing a new Camaro SS and was interested to see if any of you know of a "mod friendly" dealership.
Now, let me preface this by saying that I am not looking at cracking the motor open or a full suspension, just a cat back, shocks (not springs) and maybe a front sway bar ........so, pretty minimalistic all things considered.

I'm asking as I would like to give my business, when ready, to a dealership that will be a little more accepting of minor mods.
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
With the mods you mention, I doubt that would be an issue with any dealership. That said, have you driven an SS with NPP and MRC? Personally, I don't think any of those mods are needed.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
quikag

Drives: 2SS '16 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
With the mods you mention, I doubt that would be an issue with any dealership. That said, have you driven an SS with NPP and MRC? Personally, I don't think any of those mods are needed.
Agreed. If you get NPP and MRC, you won't want aftermarket.

Also:
2010 ZR1
2018 GT3
2013 LX570
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
trophy hunter

Thanks for the responses thus far.......

First on the catback - I agree that the NPP would achieve the same results of most aftermarket catbacks .....the big thing with the exhaust is the weight

As for the suspension, again weight. High tech is great but usually comes at a cost of weight. My preference would be a good set of adjustable Konis (when they become available- are you listening Koni ?) and a good 3 way adjustable, hollow front sway bar to "heighten" the characteristics of the original suspension

Beyond that, I do understand the law and that there are measures in place to prevent a manufacture or dealership from not providing warrantee when the mod(s) in question has no bearing on the issue........but that does not keep a dealership from rejecting/voiding your warrantee and putting you in the position to prove otherwise in court

Last edited by trophy hunter; 07-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
DFW1LE

If you really have your heart set on a catback, you could opt for the Chevrolet Performance exhaust which will be lighter than the big can and has no effect on warranty.

As to dealers, if your that concerned about minor suspension mods voiding your warranty, I'd pose the question to the dealer you would like to use.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy hunter View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far.......

First on the catback - I agree that the NPP would achieve the same results of most aftermarket catbacks .....the big thing with the exhaust is the weight

As for the suspension, again weight. High tech is great but usually comes at a cost of weight. My preference would be a good set of adjustable Konis (when they become available- are you listening Koni ?) and a good 3 way adjustable, hollow front sway bar to "heighten" the characteristics of the original suspension

Beyond that, I do understand the law and that there are measures in place to prevent a manufacture or dealership from not providing warrantee when the mod(s) in question has no bearing on the issue........but that does not keep a dealership from rejecting/voiding your warrantee and putting you in the position to prove otherwise in court
While every pound helps, it's kinda like throwing a suitcase off the queen mary, the camaro is never going to be a lotus elise

but if you just like modding, enjoy
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
trophy hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
While every pound helps, it's kinda like throwing a suitcase off the queen mary, the camaro is never going to be a lotus elise

but if you just like modding, enjoy
While I can understand your point, tell that to GM on the few ounces that they reduced here and there, the time and money it cost to do so, to achieve 60 lbs off the ZL1 1LE.
Weight is the enemy of any car, for performance............. and gas mileage

Thanks for the feedback guys !
Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
Classic in grapevine has never given me a problem over soft Mods. Replaced my V6 engine with a CAI still on it.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Weight savings of a cat back vs NPP is minimal. Like 20 lbs. the npp muffler is mostly hollow. With 2 internal walls and some baffling.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
BFella

Drives: 16' Supercharged 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Sway bars are 100% needed, well not needed, but they make a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference.

760RWHP Magnuson 1SS
BFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
DFW1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFella View Post
Sway bars are 100% needed, well not needed, but they make a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference.
My 1LE came from the factory will some pretty good well tuned suspension components that make for a car that is well beyond the abilities of most on this forum, so IMHO no, adding third party sways would not make a huge difference for most folks.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Weight savings of a cat back vs NPP is minimal. Like 20 lbs. the npp muffler is mostly hollow. With 2 internal walls and some baffling.
I removed mine and I would beg to differ about that weight difference. That NPP is heavy as hell. The MBRP I put in was like a feather compared to the stock exhaust. A lot less metal going on there, and the sound. OH boy, the sound is marvelous. My 2 cents.