Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Johnbgood1

Drives: 2017 REd ZL1
ZL1 smog all 50 states?

Just curious. Sorry if info is located somewhere else.

Thanks
Johnbgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Yes. There are Emissions codes for the various areas as well that dealers tick for the regulations..

even in Commiefornia tough regs.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
Johnbgood1

Drives: 2017 REd ZL1
Thanks
Johnbgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
If you are buying out to state and bringing to Calif. have the dealer send you the GM print out that shows they checked the CA emission box and states it is Calif. emission legal - the MSO on the car will also show it.

If it is not on the MSO, Calif. will not register it.

When I got my 15 Z/28 I learned all about this - luckily not the hard way.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
pkincy

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 ATS-V
Yes, and the underhood emissions sticker needs to specifically mention Ca emissions.

I asked and a kind member from out of state took a picture of his underhood sticker and it did mention Ca. That is what the DMV will look at. Maybe the MSO also but they will come out to the car to verify the VIN and look at the underhood sticker.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Yes, the car emits more of a carbon footprint if the sticker is missing. Lmao
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Every GM vehicle offered in the USA meet the 50 state smog requirements. GM made the change in 2009, that is why the vehicles now have a primary cat and a secondary cat.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? (FFVR 29)

The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.
Check the Label
To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood.

For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Exemptions
There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:
Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

* Name:  emissions_cert.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  51.0 KB

Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.
Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)
California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB).

Drive Clean
Are you looking to reduce your carbon footprint, save money on gas or just contribute less to smog? DriveClean.ca.gov is California' s buying guide for clean and efficient vehicles. Since motor vehicles are responsible for more than half of the smog and global warming pollution in California, the vehicle you buy directly impacts air quality, global warming, and energy security.
Visit DriveClean.ca.gov for more information about the Environmental Performance Label, to compare scores and to find the latest incentives.
More Information on...
California residency and vehicle importation laws and requirements visit DMV online at www.dmv.ca.gov or call the DMV Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795.
California Smog Check program, visit the Bureau of Automotive Repairs online at www.smogcheck.ca.gov or call 1-800-952-5210.
California smog laws, grey-market vehicles, and 49-state vehicles, visit ARB online at www.arb.ca.gov or call 1-800-242-4450.
Off-highway vehicle registration, see the How to Register an Off-highway Vehicle (HTVR 19) brochure at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr19.htm.

Last edited by 90503; 04-26-2017 at 10:01 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #9

California leads the nation in policies that promote reductions of carbon emissions from road vehicles.
It is unique in having a federal waiver that allows it to set its own, stricter emissions standards, along with a zero-emission vehicle mandate that requires automakers reaching certain sales volumes to sell a certain number of cars without tailpipes.
And where California leads, other states have followed.
DON'T MISS: Will California lead the green-car resistance? (Dec 2016)

Thirteen states—mostly in the Northeast and Northwest—and the District of Columbia have adopted California's stricter emissions standards, many of which also participate in the zero-emission vehicle mandate.
Known as "Section 177" states, those 13 are: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.
Arizona adopted California's standards in 2008, but the state repealed them as soon as Governor Jan Brewer took office in January 2012.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #10

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/g...s-bulletin.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2015-model-emissions-bulletin.pdf (272.3 KB, 316 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #11
enigma
Enigma

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I purchased my ZL1 in Florida and had it shipped to my home in Northern California.
I saved a small fortune doing this. California requires a REG 31 form, “Verification Of Vehicle” be filled out by a DMV employee during a physical inspection. Also required in CA is an actual Smog Test. This is where I am having trouble. I can’t get the O2 sensor to cycle. I have followed every direction I can find to assist in clearing this sensor. Idol a cold car for 2 ½ min. with the Air conditioner and rear window heater on then drive the car for 3 miles at 55MPH. None of these steps are clearing the O2 sensor on the car. I have 300+ miles on the car now. Any thoughts how I can speed this up would be appreciated.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
And yet California has 6 of the top 10 worst cities when it comes to air pollution in the States..
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #13
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Soooo, is there anything materially different between a 49 or 50 state car (i.e. cat or other exhaust feature)??
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
And yet California has 6 of the top 10 worst cities when it comes to air pollution in the States..
Hence the requirements. These kinds of problems don't get fixed overnight.

Fun fact: California is the sixth largest economy in the world.
kevint is online now   Reply With Quote