Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
ZL1 1LE seats, why not proper seats?

I know im not the only one but why not offer proper Recaro seats like the previous Z/28's that has pull through/s for a Harness? Instead they provide the same seats in a ZL1. Sorry but doesnt make the car that much special especially for a Track car.
In the Video on Youtube of them lapping the Nurburgring...the driver had a Recaro Bucket, Harness bar/Roll bar and strapped in with a proper Harness. Yes im a Track guy and really want this new Camaro but c'mon...enough with the comfort amenities for the hardcore track guys. Alright Rant over...and Congrats to the new ZL1 1LE owners, im still on a hunt for an MSRP.
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
concessions to get to market for a 'reasonable' price.

Then what, different size carbon fiber seat shells like the Porsche Halo cars.
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
plant

Drives: GM
Because it is a gimmick, you don't want to run a harness without a sub strap that the z28 seats can't accommodate, nor do you want to run a harness without a roll bar.

It would have to come with a setup like the M4 GTS to be safe and that might be a bit much for some folks.
plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
My ASM 4 point works well with the car seats.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
trakdayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant View Post
Because it is a gimmick, you don't want to run a harness without a sub strap that the z28 seats can't accommodate, nor do you want to run a harness without a roll bar.

It would have to come with a setup like the M4 GTS to be safe and that might be a bit much for some folks.
Yes that GTS is for posers. They give you the roll. At but not proper seats to use harnesses. Only in Europe they give you proper fixed back seats.

chevy should create a package like Porsche does..spend x amount on Fixed back seats, Add Roll Bar, etc. Like a parts catalogue. Obviously price goes up but so does safety and peace of mind
Old 08-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
I know im not the only one but why not offer proper Recaro seats like the previous Z/28's that has pull through/s for a Harness? Instead they provide the same seats in a ZL1. Sorry but doesnt make the car that much special especially for a Track car.
In the Video on Youtube of them lapping the Nurburgring...the driver had a Recaro Bucket, Harness bar/Roll bar and strapped in with a proper Harness. Yes im a Track guy and really want this new Camaro but c'mon...enough with the comfort amenities for the hardcore track guys. Alright Rant over...and Congrats to the new ZL1 1LE owners, im still on a hunt for an MSRP.
Is this a serious complaint? You're asking why a street car off the showroom floor doesn't come with racing seats, is that what I'm reading? You're talking about a from-the-factory production car sold in the USA with a Title and all the NHTSA safety mandates.

If you're *that* hardcore, no stock seat is going to be acceptable. You'll go straight for a roll-cage, halo seat, 6-point & HANS, arm-tethers and nets. At that point I hope you don't have any airbags, carpeting, or sound damping left either.

Given your screen-name, you should already know that a factory seat with a Schroth 4-point is an unsafe idea that would rarely pass tech at most HPDE's, and you should also know cutting up a factory powered/heated/cooled seat to jam in the sub-belts is also absurd. Either deal with the excellent factory Recaro's and use the 3-points, or go full-pull and whip out your wallet to go with cage/halo/6-point/HANS/no-airbags. Going anywhere in the middle is a great way to injure yourself more than stock in a crash.

Buy one and make it a "Track car", because off the showroom floor it's very literally a street car.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
talon90

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 2LT RS
A seat is part of the overall safety system in a modern vehicle. In order to get another seat approved, the complete car with the new seat has to be certified and crash tested before it can be deemed road worthy. It would seem that as a business decision it was decided that there would not be enough of a market to warrant the added development budget to make it sustainable as a production option. It would be easier for GM to provide an optional performance addon that is "for off road use only". Of course, it would be cheaper for any aftermarket company to do the same because the levels of engineering and development effort (and cost) that go in to even producing an accessory that GM vehicle platforms require would likely price it right out of the target market.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
But it only comes in manual so it's got to be a track car
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
plant

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
Yes that GTS is for posers. They give you the roll. At but not proper seats to use harnesses. Only in Europe they give you proper fixed back seats.

chevy should create a package like Porsche does..spend x amount on Fixed back seats, Add Roll Bar, etc. Like a parts catalogue. Obviously price goes up but so does safety and peace of mind
I suppose I am only familiar with the European model then, all the pictures I've seen have fixed seats.

Just to reiterate what others have said, I don't think there is a middle ground that is safe. You either go full stock with air bags and 3 point, or you go with a roll bar, fixed seat, harness, and hans. If you miss any of those components you are asking for trouble. So it's better that chevy not temp us into an unsafe configuration by offering 4 point pass thrus and nothing else. I know that tossing a 4 point in a car is a cheap way to stay more planted in the seat at the track but at the expense of a broken neck or your gut coming up through your mouth.
plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The option price of the GT3 buckets is more than half the cost of the entire 1LE package.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
lmcgrew79

Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
IMO the seats hold you quite well on track considering some seats ive been in.
lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
I would almost sacrifice a little risk to have a harness bar to keep me planted in the seat better. I feel like a basketball player in the key trying to elbow my way into position with this car.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #13
trakdayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Is this a serious complaint? You're asking why a street car off the showroom floor doesn't come with racing seats, is that what I'm reading? You're talking about a from-the-factory production car sold in the USA with a Title and all the NHTSA safety mandates.

If you're *that* hardcore, no stock seat is going to be acceptable. You'll go straight for a roll-cage, halo seat, 6-point & HANS, arm-tethers and nets. At that point I hope you don't have any airbags, carpeting, or sound damping left either.

Given your screen-name, you should already know that a factory seat with a Schroth 4-point is an unsafe idea that would rarely pass tech at most HPDE's, and you should also know cutting up a factory powered/heated/cooled seat to jam in the sub-belts is also absurd. Either deal with the excellent factory Recaro's and use the 3-points, or go full-pull and whip out your wallet to go with cage/halo/6-point/HANS/no-airbags. Going anywhere in the middle is a great way to injure yourself more than stock in a crash.

Buy one and make it a "Track car", because off the showroom floor it's very literally a street car.
Sure is a complaint mate, if Porsche can do it with their carbon buckets...Chevy can start doing it as well. That's all I'm saying. Porsche are street cars, cost a lot more but their heritage is the track ..why is the camaro so different? Especially this model. The Viper isn't different and they provide you with a proper seat. Want to charge an extra $4-5k for proper light weight seats to use with a harness bar and be safe...I'm all in and I know I won't be the only one. That's all.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Would luv to see the competition seats that are offered in the Z06 as an option in the ZL1.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote