Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
2fastnow

Drives: 05 GTO
ZL1 handling?

Has anyone taken their ZL1 to a favorite twisty road to compare past cars performance to it or a new road with general thoughts on how the car performs?
2fastnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
I only have a couple of back roads near me that I take semi-frequently. It's Illinois, so it's mostly flat and straight, and unfortunately, and I haven't made it out to Galena/Savanna yet where they actually have some fun roads.

However, on the couple of back roads I do take, the ZL1 handles very well. I had an F80 M3 before, which was a great handling, balanced car, and this totally wrecks it as far as turn-in and cornering stability are concerned.

I'm sure the wide tires are a lot of that (the fronts on the ZL1 are bigger than my rears on the M3), but the limits of the chassis are much higher in the ZL1. The lack of body roll gives you so much confidence in high speed cornering.

Plus, it soaks up the road imperfections better as well. I had the adaptive suspension on the M3, and the 'Sport' setting in the ZL1 is about like the 'Comfort' setting in the M3.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
I agree. My 17 ZL1 makes my 16 SS feel sloppy.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastnow View Post
Has anyone taken their ZL1 to a favorite twisty road to compare past cars performance to it or a new road with general thoughts on how the car performs?
Its interesting that you posted this, I got on an old favorite back road yesterday and was thinking about it.

First, it is a very tight bumpy road (wall of dirt on one side, trees or cliff on the other). My previous 'fun' cars have been most recently a 987S Boxster, and an E60 M5. I drove the Boxter much more...enthusiastically shall we say, then any of my other cars (track days, a very little bit of auto X). I am eager to get the ZL1 on the track, but I'm going to wait until fall, when I am more used to the car, and it cools off a little bit around here.

On to the 'thoughts'

I can definitely feel the weight of the front end of the car. It feels like you are putting the car into the corner rather then the car feeling like it 'knows' its way around the corner and its up to you to not f*ck it up. (hopefully that makes sense)

On big cloverleaf type on/off ramps I recall my M5 feeling more 'eager' to dive into the corner, I suspect this is a result of the variable steering and perhaps the alignment. It was a heavy car with quite a bit of power (especially for the time).

On the back roads it feels like I am 'hustling' the ZL1 more, but I think a couple of things are at play here. First, bumpy roads, the ZL1 is a heavier car (987S comparison) with a firm suspension and a lot of tire. It does not miss a bump, it gets them all, which adds to the feed back that you receive from the drivers seat. Second, and this is a big one, the ZL1 has so much more power that I think I am going quite a bit faster with out trying or thinking about it.

So far the ZL1 has not threatened to put a wheel wrong, a I have not pushed it really hard, for obvious reasons. The cars limits are so far above what you can, or certainly should, do on a back road that its silly. If you are not careful that little pedal on the right can definitely get you into trouble.

I can wait to get this thing on a nice familiar track to really experience it.
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
The lack of effort required on off/on clover leaf ramps is incredible. The car practically wants to turn itself in to them (not really, but there's so little in the way of pushback from the car). It makes the Gen6 SS we have feel sloppy, which made my '12 GrandSport feel sloppy, which made my '10 SS with full suspension feel sloppy.

Will know more dtails in August. But, from what I can feel thus far as for handling, it's phenomenal and well more than I need for my driver skill level (even on a track).
Heck, it makes my 997s with sports pasm and my GT350 feel sloppy...
Its f'ing awesome

It's beautifully flat and amazing transitions
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
2fastnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
Heck, it makes my 997s with sports pasm and my GT350 feel sloppy...
Its f'ing awesome

It's beautifully flat and amazing transitions
WOW! I hope you're not exaggerating that it's better than a 997 or the gt350. Man that's excellent if it's true. You know the media hype tells you one thing. I hope all here are honest (which I believe) to know the truth first hand!

Do those monster front tires 'hunt' or need corrections all the time on basic roads?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
WOW! I hope you're not exaggerating that it's better than a 997 or the gt350. Man that's excellent if it's true. You know the media hype tells you one thing. I hope all here are honest (which I believe) to know the truth first hand!

Do those monster front tires 'hunt' or need corrections all the time on basic roads?
I wouldn't doubt it's better than the 997. 991.2 would be closer. You certainly don't feel the weight in either one of those vs. the ZL1 though, for obvious reasons.

GT350 wouldn't even be close, but the GT350R is.

I haven't experienced any wandering issues. The car rides/drives really nice and comfortable when you want, or it can be a monster when you want.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
2fastnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I wouldn't doubt it's better than the 997. 991.2 would be closer. You certainly don't feel the weight in either one of those vs. the ZL1 though, for obvious reasons.

GT350 wouldn't even be close, but the GT350R is.

I haven't experienced any wandering issues. The car rides/drives really nice and comfortable when you want, or it can be a monster when you want.
I wish they had a thanks button here...thanks! I hope others chime in, so cool.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
Quote:

they do a bit, no more then expected, and it doesn't bother me a bit, it isn't intrusive and it doesn't require constant corrections or anything like that
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
The eagle f1 on the zl1 do not wander or tram line like the pilot sports on the gt350. Also handling of gt350 with the track pack (2017) and gt350r not that different (feel free to check mustang6g.com).
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
FERRARI

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Auto
I LOVE twisty roads and seek them out to test my car and ability to negotiate them without touching brakes. I enjoy the gforces and feel through the curves. This ZL1 is everything it claims to be. My base of comparison is my 2006 GTO. (pause for laughs, negativity and w-a comments). The GTO is lighter, has an LS2 motor and is well enough balanced to be a favored drift car. Often when enjoying exhaust notes and preparing to enter a highway, I would glance in my rear view to see a huge black grill 3 inches off my bumper driven by a male of short stature. I took extreme pleasure in hitting it, hanging the extreme right of the ramp and putting distance. I apologise for the realized and admitted bragoddocio but it's a long way to say that this ZL1 is even more amazing. I almost feel guilty in similar situations. Off the point, I want to mention that the ZL1 is also pretty good in the rain.
1969 Pontiac GTO Judge
2004 Pontiac GTO
2006 Pontiac GTO
FERRARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
If you are not careful that little pedal on the right can definitely get you into trouble.
^^^^^^
THIS
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Sticks like a scared kitten.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Quicksilver64

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Gray
The scared kitten is a great analogy.
Here in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri there are many awesome smooth curvy roads and I have to say the ZL1 takes curves at speeds I never dared to try. Almost effortless on smooth roads but I agree with the feeling on bumpy ones. And if you apply a little too much right foot the eLSD to puts you back in line instantly. Just make sure you didn't turn off traction control. So far my best max G is .85, probably enough on country roads. I know a few really wide curves I want to give a try to go a bit higher.
It is in a league of is own. I can't imagine how much better the 1LE handles. I love what I have and haven't missed a single one of my past rides one bit.
Quicksilver64 is offline   Reply With Quote