Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2024, 06:35 AM   #15
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
So sorry to hear about your car. First and foremost, you have take care of yourself. There can always be more Camaros if you want, but there is just one of you!
Old 02-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #16
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirgam View Post
Hi DonM sorry to hear and glad your okay. I don't understand how the insurance company can figure you hit him with your rear quarter.
It ISN'T my insurance company saying I'm at fault (BEGIN RANT) I usually DON'T bad mouth cops - since I WAS one for 32+ year - but (being nice about what I say ...) this one was at BEST clueless. She had to ask me if "Camaro" was the manufacturer or the MODEL of the car

I believe she based her opinion on two things: 1) When I called 911, I identified myself as a retired LEO, STRESSING that I was UNARMED ... in Ohio, when you have a CCW permit, as soon as an officer runs your plate, it tells them that you may be carrying a firearm. (I can carry a firearm A. As a retired, qualified LEO, B, With a CCW permit, or C. Ohio is Constitutional Carry - so I don't NEED either of the first two qualifications - but I like to cover my butt). That was ONLY so the responding officers would already know that the pissed off guy at the scene DIDN'T have a gun, thus not increasing THEIR stress levels (See what happens when you try to be nice?)

So *I* believe she thought I was trying to use the "Good Old Boy" excuse to get out of wrong-doing - "Hey I'm a cop, so you should ignore the facts and believe ME."

And reason #2: the a$$hat didn't actually hit me in the door, because I moved away quick enough, and even though HE MADE ME SWERVE, the accident happened when I RETURNED to my lane, but he was STILL THERE, then after the initial contact, he rear-ended me when I stopped. So in HER mind, I was at fault for getting away from him, and returning when it SHOULD have been safe to do so.

My INSURANCE company, both the agent AND the insurance investigator who took a recorded interview from me about the accident were totally FLOORED that I was cited - got more than one "You're kidding!!!" when I told them.

Too, I found out that my insurance company places little stock in who the officer cited to determine fault. They do a totally independent investigation to determine exactly what DID happen and will assign fault as indicated (driver 1 was 70% at fault, Driver 2 was 30% at fault, etc) based on what actually happened.

I would be (almost) happy at a 50/50 (or so) split of guilt. I *admitted* I swerved, but only because I didn't want to be t-boned, but he says he did NOTHING wrong at all.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:22 PM   #17
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
It ISN'T my insurance company saying I'm at fault (BEGIN RANT) I usually DON'T bad mouth cops - since I WAS one for 32+ year - but (being nice about what I say ...) this one was at BEST clueless. She had to ask me if "Camaro" was the manufacturer or the MODEL of the car

I believe she based her opinion on two things: 1) When I called 911, I identified myself as a retired LEO, STRESSING that I was UNARMED ... in Ohio, when you have a CCW permit, as soon as an officer runs your plate, it tells them that you may be carrying a firearm. (I can carry a firearm A. As a retired, qualified LEO, B, With a CCW permit, or C. Ohio is Constitutional Carry - so I don't NEED either of the first two qualifications - but I like to cover my butt). That was ONLY so the responding officers would already know that the pissed off guy at the scene DIDN'T have a gun, thus not increasing THEIR stress levels (See what happens when you try to be nice?)

So *I* believe she thought I was trying to use the "Good Old Boy" excuse to get out of wrong-doing - "Hey I'm a cop, so you should ignore the facts and believe ME."

And reason #2: the a$$hat didn't actually hit me in the door, because I moved away quick enough, and even though HE MADE ME SWERVE, the accident happened when I RETURNED to my lane, but he was STILL THERE, then after the initial contact, he rear-ended me when I stopped. So in HER mind, I was at fault for getting away from him, and returning when it SHOULD have been safe to do so.

My INSURANCE company, both the agent AND the insurance investigator who took a recorded interview from me about the accident were totally FLOORED that I was cited - got more than one "You're kidding!!!" when I told them.

Too, I found out that my insurance company places little stock in who the officer cited to determine fault. They do a totally independent investigation to determine exactly what DID happen and will assign fault as indicated (driver 1 was 70% at fault, Driver 2 was 30% at fault, etc) based on what actually happened.

I would be (almost) happy at a 50/50 (or so) split of guilt. I *admitted* I swerved, but only because I didn't want to be t-boned, but he says he did NOTHING wrong at all.
Because he doesn’t want to pay. Simple as that. That doesn’t mean he’s going to get away with it. Fight the good fight.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:58 PM   #18
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Nothing a little bondo can't fix.

Original
Old 02-25-2024, 02:01 PM   #19
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
There's a couple pieces of criteria that might have helped with the gun situation. But I'm guessing you don't possess the most important one. END OF RANT!
Believe it or not, but although I was upset, I was under control, until the officer said I was fully at fault. Then I did start swearing like a sailor - Not AT the officer, or anyone in particular, just kind of "thinking out loud" - loudly.

Just kind of wondering (OK, ranting) about HOW could I be entirely at fault, when it was his inattention to what was right in front of him and his actions that forced me to react and swerve. After all, he was crossing 4 lanes of traffic, just to get to the lane he wanted and obviously never saw me already there. How is that my responsibility?
Old 02-26-2024, 10:29 AM   #20
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Sorry to hear your troubles, life is full of disappointments and joy. Do your best and get up and move on. Trust me its just life, accept it as it comes and you'll find your way. Quite a few of my fav cars were totaled just after paying them off. 1st one was a pristine 02 Silver Pontiac Formula, TOTALED 1 month after the last payment! I was sick over it but on flip side I bought a very nice 01 WS6 so you see things push and pull at you your entire life. Run with them and you'll feel so much better. What ever your day brings be ok with it. God Bless.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:51 AM   #21
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
Sorry to hear your troubles, life is full of disappointments and joy. Do your best and get up and move on. Trust me its just life, accept it as it comes and you'll find your way. Quite a few of my fav cars were totaled just after paying them off. 1st one was a pristine 02 Silver Pontiac Formula, TOTALED 1 month after the last payment! I was sick over it but on flip side I bought a very nice 01 WS6 so you see things push and pull at you your entire life. Run with them and you'll feel so much better. What ever your day brings be ok with it. God Bless.
It is totaled. The estimate to repair is over $14,110.

The heartbreaking news is that a member of my Camaro Club, FOUND an awesome replacement. A 2013 SS, loaded, never saw snow and the underneath is as clean as the gloss white paint, WITH a manual trans for $25K ... BUT ...

My wife has mentioned TWICE about me having a car that I can't/won't haul the kids & dogs in (my boys are both adults and Autistic, so they will always live with us).

So it looks like no matter what kind of car I decide to get as a replacement for the Camaro, at least one of us won't be happy. My flip-flopping mind has flipped back over to not wanting another car AT ALL. *I* don't want to be unhappy, but if momma ain't happy, then NO ONE is happy.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 02-26-2024, 12:08 PM   #22
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:

The heartbreaking news is that a member of my Camaro Club, FOUND an awesome replacement. A 2013 SS, loaded, never saw snow and the underneath is as clean as the gloss white paint, WITH a manual trans for $25K ... BUT ...

My wife has mentioned TWICE about me having a car that I can't/won't haul the kids & dogs in (my boys are both adults and Autistic, so they will always live with us).

So it looks like no matter what kind of car I decide to get as a replacement for the Camaro, at least one of us won't be happy. My flip-flopping mind has flipped back over to not wanting another car AT ALL. *I* don't want to be unhappy, but if momma ain't happy, then NO ONE is happy.

If i were you I'd look into getting a G8 gt or something. 4 doors, v8 and fun to drive. Can fit your kids and dogs in there. Like a dads camaro lol.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:33 PM   #23
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Chevy SS if price isn't horrible. 2nd gen CTS-V sedan, G8 GT or GXP. I mean...... even a scatpack isn't bad.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:22 PM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
find a solstice or sky and tell her youre interested and take her for a test drive,it will make the camaro look spacious and practical...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:34 PM   #25
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:

Sorry to hear about all of this. But I agree with you... Happy Wife equals Happy Life. Not sure why it has to be this way... but it ain't fair at all if you ask me! There should be some lines on both sides that people in a marriage shouldn't cross. You let her have what she wants... then she should let the man have the car he wants... That's how I look at it!

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:55 AM   #26
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:

My wife hates my Camaro. Only because I got into an accident in my first one just like you and replaced it with the exact same car after. I bought back my old Camaro and switched out all my mods (including the engine) into the new Camaro and it didn't even cost that much because I sold the engine out of the new one to guys that did the swap for most of the cost so, I don't know why she got upset about it but, she eventually got over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
If i were you I'd look into getting a G8 gt or something. 4 doors, v8 and fun to drive. Can fit your kids and dogs in there. Like a dads camaro lol.
That isn't a bad idea. I always wanted a G8.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:59 AM   #27
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Sorry to hear about all of this. But I agree with you... Happy Wife equals Happy Life. Not sure why it has to be this way... but it ain't fair at all if you ask me! There should be some lines on both sides that people in a marriage shouldn't cross. You let her have what she wants... then she should let the man have the car he wants... That's how I look at it!
Words of wisdom. I completely commit to the happy wife happy life theory. If she is happy, I have a chance at being happy. If she is not happy, I have ZERO percent chance of being happy.

Of course there are hills that I am willing to die on, and over the years compromises are made. Things that used to make us mad 15 years ago, we don't even blink at now. The compromises are crucial in keeping everyone happy.

OP,
Have you considered the possibility of getting a reasonable driver, the an older v8 car for a toy/project?
Old 02-27-2024, 06:10 AM   #28
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Another option is the Kia Stinger I know its an import but it might be easier to slide by an unsuspecting wife.

Take her on the muscle car tour(Charger Caddy SS ect) then stop by and look at the practical sleeper import

She will never know unless you lay the wood to the right pedal
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote