Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2024, 06:19 PM   #1
Itethai

Drives: ‘23 SS M6 vert
Electrical gremlin

‘23 SS M6, 2000 miles. Went for a drive and stopped to have lunch. After leaving restaurant the car wouldn’t start; every time I tried all I got was a single click sound coming from under the hood. Battery fine, everything working. Ended up having a tow truck called to come get me and take me to the dealer to drop off the car. After about 45 minutes waiting I tried again and she fired up. Tow truck was ten minutes out and was able to cancel. Might anyone have a clue as to what might have gone wrong? Relay issue? Thanks in advance to those in knowledge.
Itethai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:37 PM   #2
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
What's the resting voltage on the battery? Should be 12.5v-12.8v. These on demand alternators won't keep the battery fully charged unless driven frequently. Mine is a weekend driver and I have to keep it on a trickle charger or it will fall below 12.5v resting. Might not be your issue, but easy to rule out.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:37 PM   #3
Zracer

Drives: 1999 Z28, 2011 2SS VERT, 2016 1SS
Check your heat shield on your starter. Mine rubbed a hole in the main battery cable and caused all kinds of problems. I've got a buddy that works at the dealership and he says they have run into that before. I pulled the shield off and bent it so it wouldn't contact the cable anymore.
Zracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:41 PM   #4
david_acm

Drives: LT1
I had a similar issue to the one you're describing. I drove to a restaurant to pick up food and when I went back out, the car wouldn't start. In my case the starter was dead somehow and replaced under warranty.

david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:36 AM   #5
Itethai

david_acm..that’s exactly what it did. I’m guessing the starter overheated and had to cool down? But not sure, got home afterwards and started up fine.
I’ll check wires and see if any bruising. Waiting to hear back from the dealer so see if they might have a clue before wanting to take her in. Thanks guys…
Old 04-29-2024, 08:56 AM   #6
david_acm

Drives: LT1
In my case it never started on its own again until after it was towed and repairedat the dealer the next day. I mentioned the possible heat shield issue to the service rep but in the end they said the starter was just dead.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:09 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itethai View Post
Relay issue?
Relay click but starter doesn't crank the engine.
Could be the starter or anything in the electrical path to the starter (through the relay contacts).
You will see a lot of threads on here about addressing grounding issues for hard starts.
So did you have hard starts, or just working well then... no start?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #8
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Another vote for the starter heat soaking and or going dead. I had this issue on my 17 ZL1 and it's a very common issue. GM does a very good job with heat shielding on newer Silverado's/Sierra's, but otherwise it's just not good enough and too close to the exhaust manifold.
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:04 PM   #9
Itethai

I appreciate the feedback guys. I now have something to mention to the dealer as a starting point as opposed to nothing. I’ll take her in next week and see what they can do for me.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #10
Itethai

Update…..so, I took the car into the dealership…maybe a twenty minute drive over. Once I got there it started up right away, but they said they’ll still take a look at it. They had it for two days and they were not able to replicate the issue. They mentioned they had it idling for at least 30 minutes and tried to start it at different intervals and it started each time. According to the dealership, GM won’t let them look into further until they can replicate the issue at the dealership. So, going to have to start playing their game and continue to document every time it doesn’t start and then make another appointment and take the car to the dealership after a long drive and hope that it doesn’t start, a bit ironic huh!? Only option I can think of..��