Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver16ss View Post
Well for me it's not practical. That's a car u floss around on your off time...That's putting a lot of unnecessary miles on an exotic car just for work! Maybe it's just me but I would appreciate the car more if I didn't drive it 365 days a year it would be more special! The ZL1 is a supercar.
I agree. You do appreciate it more when you don't drive it all the time. Up north, we're forced to put our cars away for the winter if we want them to stay immaculate. I did that with the first ZL1, and it was like getting a new car each Spring. Never again...

After hitting a few cones on an autocross track, and experiencing road debris on a road course, I'm through treating the car like it's made of glass. No car shows for me: just driving!! I want to enjoy every mile, for 200,000 miles, if I can.

I'm getting a 2018 ZL1 - fingers crossed - and I'm going to slap a set of winter tires on that thing, and drive it until it falls apart. Daily drive through the summer, winter, and on track! WOO!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #44
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Well for me it's not practical. That's a car u floss around on your off time...That's putting a lot of unnecessary miles on an exotic car just for work! Maybe it's just me but I would appreciate the car more if I didn't drive it 365 days a year it would be more special! The ZL1 is a supercar.
As much as I love the new z1l, I wouldn't go as far to call it an exotic or a supercar. On the track, I think it will hold it's own against exotics and supercars, but that's where I'd say it ends.

And I'm sure plenty-o-folks drive HC's or gt500's more than on their off-time. This will be no different. In an act of transparency, this will not be my daily driver.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #45
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
The 2017 ZL1 is the most powerful camaro ever guys! I think it's knocking on the door of the supercar world! And if yall wanna drive it everyday I say go for it..
Oh btw back to the thread ...manual for me... The 10 speed auto isn't that big a deal to me. It's really getting common now to have that many gears now. The new Chrysler 200's have a 9 speed auto now!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #46
bluHawk141

Drives: 2015 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I agree. You do appreciate it more when you don't drive it all the time. Up north, we're forced to put our cars away for the winter if we want them to stay immaculate. I did that with the first ZL1, and it was like getting a new car each Spring. Never again...

After hitting a few cones on an autocross track, and experiencing road debris on a road course, I'm through treating the car like it's made of glass. No car shows for me: just driving!! I want to enjoy every mile, for 200,000 miles, if I can.

I'm getting a 2018 ZL1 - fingers crossed - and I'm going to slap a set of winter tires on that thing, and drive it until it falls apart. Daily drive through the summer, winter, and on track! WOO!
+1
I couldn't agree more. I had a 00 T/A Firehawk, sold it with 26k on it and that was in '13. I don't want to be making payments on a car that I can look at in the garage. When it comes time to unload it you're not going to get too much more for much less mileage, and there isn't a bonus you get because it was in a heated garage all winter and never seen salt. I want to get my money out of it, and that is with seat time, not observation in the garage time for me.
bluHawk141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #47
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
As much as I love the new z1l, I wouldn't go as far to call it an exotic or a supercar. On the track, I think it will hold it's own against exotics and supercars, but that's where I'd say it ends.

And I'm sure plenty-o-folks drive HC's or gt500's more than on their off-time. This will be no different. In an act of transparency, this will not be my daily driver.
I agree, can't be classified as exotic - and that's kinda the point with a Camaro though isn't it?

Not to mention paying half to 1/4 the price of some of the cars it will hold its own against.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #48
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
I like my '12 ZL1 M6 but really like my wife's paddle shifter auto MBenz. Quick shifts up and down in manual and I can control the gear selection. I plan to order an A10 and a M6 from different dealers then drive both and make a final decision. If the A10 shifts are lighting quick like my current no lift shift A6 ZL1, I'll keep the A10. If not, the manual will be my choice. Gas guzzler tax does really matter but just another damn tax we gotta pay.
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #49
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
I like my '12 ZL1 M6 but really like my wife's paddle shifter auto MBenz. Quick shifts up and down in manual and I can control the gear selection. I plan to order an A10 and a M6 from different dealers then drive both and make a final decision. If the A10 shifts are lighting quick like my current no lift shift A6 ZL1, I'll keep the A10. If not, the manual will be my choice. Gas guzzler tax does really matter but just another damn tax we gotta pay.
I like the way you think... I was going auto this time even if it was a 6 speed so 4 more gears is just icing on the cake. I will, however, miss the M6 on the road track. I just can't see using tap shift and turning the wheel at the same time.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #50
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I like the way you think... I was going auto this time even if it was a 6 speed so 4 more gears is just icing on the cake. I will, however, miss the M6 on the road track. I just can't see using tap shift and turning the wheel at the same time.
this 10 speed should give you ability to use shifter instead of paddles, not sure if that makes a difference for you but i know last ZL1 auto was paddles only for manual mode.

i think that is true for 8 speed in ss as well??
Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #51
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
this 10 speed should give you ability to use shifter instead of paddles, not sure if that makes a difference for you but i know last ZL1 auto was paddles only for manual mode.

i think that is true for 8 speed in ss as well??
Not sure how you would use the shifter. This has tap/paddle shift as well, but I hear it's a lot faster response than what we've been used to. Either way it's definitely auto for me.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #52
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Not sure how you would use the shifter. This has tap/paddle shift as well, but I hear it's a lot faster response than what we've been used to. Either way it's definitely auto for me.
doesnt the + - on the auto shifter do the same as paddles?

tip-tronic type deal.
Attached Images

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 06-16-2016 at 07:58 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #53
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Look to the CTS-V and the Z06. Both feature the LT4 engine. The CTS-V is automatic 8-speed only, and is taxed. Z06 manual is taxed, Z06 automatic....is not. This A10 seems to be even more efficient....so my hopes are high.
Isnt it just the opposite? I thought the M7 Z06 escaped the gas guzzler tax.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #54
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The 2017 ZL1 is the most powerful camaro ever guys! I think it's knocking on the door of the supercar world! And if yall wanna drive it everyday I say go for it..
Oh btw back to the thread ...manual for me... The 10 speed auto isn't that big a deal to me. It's really getting common now to have that many gears now. The new Chrysler 200's have a 9 speed auto now!!!
If anyone is even half serious about drag racing, the 10 speed auto is a no brainer. Try and harness 640 hp with a six speed manual on the street and a car with 200 horse power less will give you a hard time and possibly embarrass you (from a dig).
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #55
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
doesnt the + - on the auto shifter do the same as paddles?

tip-tronic type deal.
Ahhh there you go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
If anyone is even half serious about drag racing, the 10 speed auto is a no brainer. Try and harness 640 hp with a six speed manual on the street and a car with 200 horse power less will give you a hard time and possibly embarrass you (from a dig).
I try and it kicks my ass unless I have the DRs on. No embarrassment then.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #56
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Isnt it just the opposite? I thought the M7 Z06 escaped the gas guzzler tax.
You are right, I typed that backwards.