Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-13-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
SOLD DSC Sport Controller for Mag ride suspension

Bought it a year ago. Sold my camaro. Works great. I have several tunes written for VIR. Worth 2 seconds per lap and alot of predictable stability. This device allows you to program each shock individually for stiffness alone but also stiffness relative to G forces in all 4 directions. So if you are a drag racer then you want softer shock in the rear so you get squat. If you autocross then generally you want stiffer all around but at lower G forces and for race tracks you can tune each shock relative to the track (mostly R or mostly L hand turns) Here is a link to the manufacturer. https://www.dscsport.com/camaro/
$795
Software download and instructions are free from DSC website. This is a plug in module that is installed in your trunk (under the mat) to the controller on the left.

Free Shipping in USA.

James
Attached Images

Last edited by Inthepasture; 09-14-2022 at 05:06 PM. Reason: SOLD
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'm curious, so hope you don't mind explaining. If the mag-ride supposedly monitors and rebalances the car over all 4 corners 100+ times each second, wouldn't that already be optimizing the shocks at each corner (adaptive suspension)? How is a DSC controller going to make an improvement over OEM?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
It's the same idea as tuning your ECU for more power. OEM leaves a lot on the table for various reasons.

The DSC is an aftermarket tune for your suspension. The DSC controller give you full access to all the MRC3 system is capable of.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Yeah I don't know how I feel about it either. Id like to see someone do a back to back test on the same day with it to see the difference in times and feel. Executed like a double blind test.

Have a 3rd party install it in the car at random sessions and then at the end of the day compare laptimes and compare what the driver reported as far as "feel" to see what the real difference is.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 09-14-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #5
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Yeah I don't know how I feel about it either. Id like to see someone do a back to back test on the same day with it to see the difference in times and feel. Executed like a double blind test.

Have a 3rd party install it in the car at random sessions and then at the end of the day compare laptimes and compare what the driver reported as far as "feel" to see what the real difference is.

Here you go...

And from DSC Sport website... https://www.dscsport.com/2017/08/11/...-game-changer/

I recently picked one of these up but so far have only run with it on new tracks. That said, later this month I'll be going back to Summit point Main, where I have extensive time in my 2019 SS 1LE. My plan is to run A - B - A testing to see how much lap times improve. Now as for normal road use, I've tweaked low/high speed compression and rebound and have noticed a big difference in ride quality without the floaty feeling most complain about with the out of box tune from DSC Sport. Hope this helps.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post

It has some base maps that are supposed to be very good, I asked Sam Strano about it a while ago. But it's also a tuning device, so the results you'll get are a result of how good your tuning is, kinda like an ECU tuning device... it's not the device that gets you the results, it's the tuning.

It does give you the ability to change damping based on a multitude of sensor input, so it's a lot more complicated than conventional adjustable shocks. So like ECU tuning, many are not going to find making their own maps appealing, but they can hire others or use base maps... just like ECU tuners.

OEM settings are not all about performance, there are lots of other things to consider when selling the car to the general public, so it's not hard to imagine a custom tune offering performance improvements in some circumstances.

I'm looking forward to playing with it, I've come pretty close to top pax a couple times this season at autox, and I'd bet the DSC will offer some improvements. My car is setup pretty well for CAMC and I'm at the point I think this will help. I'm not at the point where I'm good enough on track to fully take advantage of this device but I'll get there!
Old 09-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #7
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It has some base maps that are supposed to be very good
In my experience, the base maps are based on C7 and lack rebound to eliminate the floaty feeling most users complain about. To sum up your tuning comments. What most users seem to not understand is because low/med/high speed damping are individually tunable you are able to tune the shocks for multiple damping curves based on an individual's preferences. For instance, it is possible to tune for linear, progressive, digressive, as well as regressive. Which is a huge benefit if you know how to exploit the benefits offered via the DSC Sport controller. My research indicates GM low speed damping for v3 MRC is very very good which is another big benefit when exploited correctly.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #8
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
In my experience, the base maps are based on C7 and lack rebound to eliminate the floaty feeling most users complain about. To sum up your tuning comments. What most users seem to not understand is because low/med/high speed damping are individually tunable you are able to tune the shocks for multiple damping curves based on an individual's preferences. For instance, it is possible to tune for linear, progressive, digressive, as well as regressive. Which is a huge benefit if you know how to exploit the benefits offered via the DSC Sport controller. My research indicates GM low speed damping for v3 MRC is very very good which is another big benefit when exploited correctly.
Cool, thanks for that. I think we may need a DSC tuning tips thread...

I understand damping to some degree via mt bikes, high end downhill oriented shocks have high and low speed compression and rebound adjustments. I haven't yet studied DSC's capabilities but was guessing shaft velocity is likely a variable, which would allow great flexibility in tuning the dampers. Steering angle and g-forces is another one I was thinking about, you could have each shock doing something different.

I'd agree on the low speed damping, the car feels extremely stable and well damped.

I am thinking that in terms of performance it's likely best to get some stiffer springs though, but I don't want to go too far and make the car unpleasant to drive.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #9
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Cool, thanks for that. I think we may need a DSC tuning tips thread...

I understand damping to some degree via mt bikes, high end downhill oriented shocks have high and low speed compression and rebound adjustments. I haven't yet studied DSC's capabilities but was guessing shaft velocity is likely a variable, which would allow great flexibility in tuning the dampers. Steering angle and g-forces is another one I was thinking about, you could have each shock doing something different.

I'd agree on the low speed damping, the car feels extremely stable and well damped.

I am thinking that in terms of performance it's likely best to get some stiffer springs though, but I don't want to go too far and make the car unpleasant to drive.
Lots to unpack here but yes a tunning thread would probably be a good place to consolidate data. As for velocity, yes and in addition, DSC uses brake pressure, steering input, yaw, throttle, and other inputs to adjust damping on the fly. I was really impressed by the braking improvement when I tracked with it the first time. You can brake much deeper with no other changes to the car.

Tags
suspension, track days